Battle for the Bullpen

*UPDATE*

Blaine Neal- 8-1/3 IP 11 hits 4 ER 6 K 0 BB

Tommy Phelps- 11 IP 10 hits 4 ER 8 K 5 BB

Michael Tejera- 10-2/3 IP 13 hits 7 ER 4 K 2 BB

Justin Wayne- 11 IP 6 hits 0 ER 5 K 3 BB

Matt Perisho- 12 IP 8 hits 2 ER 10 K 3 BB

Nate Bump- 12 IP 16 hits 7 ER 8 K 3 BB

Perisho impresses again, struck out 3 of the 4 guys he faced, and Wayne still hasn't given up a run. I'm really dissapointed that Bump's having a bad spring I thought he might be able to solidify that 7th inning spot for us this year and it just doesn't look like that's going to happen.

*UPDATE*

Tommy Phelps- 13 IP 10 hits 4 ER 9 K 5 BB

Michael Tejera- 10-2/3 IP 13 hits 7 ER 4 K 2 BB

Justin Wayne- 11 IP 6 hits 0 ER 5 K 3 BB

Phelps was great today, if him and Wayne can keep pitching like they are our pen might not be in too bad of shape. Also, Benitez has looked great the last couple of games. I'm hoping he proves me wrong and becomes that dominant closer we all know he can be.

Benitez threw two more scoreless innings Sunday in Florida's 4-0 shutout of the Boston Red Sox, his fifth straight appearance without giving up a run.

He has retired 17 of the 19 batters he has faced in that stretch. With two outs in the ninth Sunday, he walked Brian Daubach on a 3-2 pitch before getting Dave McCarty for his third strikeout of the inning.

courtesy of the Palm Beach Post

*UPDATE*

Michael Tejera- 11-2/3 IP 13 hits 7 ER 4 K 3 BB

Justin Wayne- 13 IP 7 hits 0 ER 5 K 3 BB

Wayne still hasn't allowed an earned run, he looked good today, and Tejera pitched pretty well too.

*UPDATE*

Blaine Neal- 9-1/3 IP 14 hits 5 ER 6 K 0 BB

Matt Perisho- 13 IP 10 hits 2 ER 10 K 3 BB

Tanyon Sturtze 12 IP 18 hits 11 ER 9 K 4 BB

Perisho had another good outing. Sturtze had an easy inning although I really doubt he has a shot to make the team. Neal had another dissapointing outing, he started off well, but he hasn't been pitching well as of late.

*UPDATE*

Tommy Phelps- 14 IP 11 hits 4 ER 10 K 5 BB

Matt Perisho- 13 IP 10 hits 2 ER 10 K 3 BB

Nate Bump- 14 IP 17 hits 7 ER 11 K 4 BB

Tanyon Sturtze 12 IP 18 hits 11 ER 9 K 4 BB

Bump pitched 2 good innings, and Phelps had an easy inning in the 9th. This competition for the bullpen spots is going to come down to the last game I think.

*UPDATE*

Tommy Phelps- 14 IP 11 hits 4 ER 10 K 5 BB

Justin Wayne- 14 IP 7 hits 1 ER 5 K 5 BB

Matt Perisho- 14 IP 10 hits 2 ER 10 K 3 BB

Nate Bump- 14 IP 17 hits 7 ER 11 K 4 BB

I took Sturtze off the list, I'm not going to even bother his numbers are so bad. Perisho had another easy inning. Wayne's scoreless streak finally came to an end due to a little control problem at the start of his inning, but he rebounded pretty nicely.

Looks like Perisho, Phelps, & Bump have an edge, with Tejera and Neal being left out at the moment.

from the Palm Beach Post today:

JUPITER -- The Marlins' front office arrived at Roger Dean Stadium on Thursday with a pretty good idea about who will get the four middle-relief spots. By the end of the afternoon, that changed after right-hander Tanyon Sturtze allowed five runs -- four earned -- during the final two innings of Florida's 8-5 loss to the Cardinals.

After the game, the Marlins were back on the phones talking to teams about possible options. Teams are asking about rookie center fielder Abraham Nunez. The Marlins won't officially set their roster until after Saturday's game.

For now, left-hander Matt Perisho appears certain to win a spot, along with left-hander Tommy Phelps and right-hander Nate Bump. Sturtze was included on the final roster, but the team could opt to keep right-hander Justin Wayne.

Right-hander Blaine Neal and left-hander Michael Tejera appear to be on the outside of the pack.