Everything posted by anotherrealfan
-
Crowd problems in Dolphin Stadium questions
do you know that the night the Marlins clinched the wild card, there may have been 15,000 on hand to see it? It was raining, but they were trying to clinch a spot in the f***ing playoffs for the love of God! If people aren't going to show up for that, or any of the other games in the second half of '03 and all of '04, then all the excuses and reasons in the world add up to doo doo. yea...the facts are there...attendence slightly...only slightly increased in September of 2003...and then in October they had 50K+...its sad. The Yankees had 50K+ Saturday and at least 20K stayed until the game was called...dedication. Yea, I love being compared to the New York market and the Yankees. Steinbrenner=Loria- LOL. I have been around a lot longer than you, probably, and no one seems to remember the dog days of the franchise drawing 15-20000, just like Wrigley in the early 80's averaging 9,000. Or the white sox last year averaging less than THE MARLINS in 97, but the Marlins fans are still ripped to this day about the 97 attendance. Good comparison, tell you what, get rid of all the players on the yankees, bring up 20 rookies and tell the fans to wait a few years to win-then compare the market of 10 million people to S. Florida.
-
Ricky Nolasco comments from Cubs board
The cubs are to us what the old KC Athletics were to the Yankees.
-
So, Boog...
Oh come on. This is why people hate sports talk radio. I love sports talk radio. And I LOVE Boog Sciambi. I listen to him everyday and think he's the best thing since coke. Therefore, I do not follow your above statement. Coke will kill you. Plain old Coca Cola. Ruins your teeth, pure garbage and sugar.
-
Can the Marlins make a wild card run?
If this team finishes .500 they have accomplished alot. Wild Card! I think everyone is getting carried away. :banghead :banghead :banghead I doubt anyone is getting carried away. Just enjoying the moment that was not expected, so why not project the momentum into the near future. It's baseball, it's more fun, win or lose, if we believe we are in a race, which at the moment, WE ARE. If and when we fall out of it, then we can deal with the reality. AT that point, like I said before, you make a mini race by just chasing the teams immediately in front of you. Hey, if we drop like a lead ball and we still finish ahead of Atlanta, that would be some consolation.
-
Marlins deserve shot at upgrades
Boog said this today and I tend to agree, I tend to agree. As far as the front office is concerned, you have young players producing and giving you excess value over cost. Since most of the players are at or near the minimum, why would they want to change that, they just don't. (again, given the production value at this time)
-
Crowd problems in Dolphin Stadium questions
The problems are numerous. -Bad location (it takes me 45 minutes at least to get out to the ballpark) -Expensive parking -No protection from the weather unless you sit in the Club Level (I don't feel like driving for close to an hour to a rained-out game) -Unfriendly employees -Seats have poor views unless you are closer to the plate -Ticket prices haven't decreased, despite the $15 million payroll -Food is extremely overpriced for what they are offering -It's always way too hot in South Florida in the summer to begin with. -Bad management of the team and the stadium I do not agree with all of the above but I specifically want to disagree with the "unfriendly employees". Contrary to prior years, every game I have been to this year I have been greeted with "welcome to Dolphin stadium, hope you enjoy the game". When I leave everyone from the elevator operator to the escalator attendant says "thank you for coming, please come back". When compliments are in order they should be acknowledged.
-
Crowd problems in Dolphin Stadium questions
Or stop at Subway or Quiznos. Make a steak sandwich at home. Wrap it up in foil and they let you take it in along with an unopened water bottle. Viola, now the high price of crappy food is no longer a problem. Oh, yea, hide a plastic bag in your pocket so you can put the food in the bag once you are in your seats. But, don't bring your own ice cream.
-
Crowd problems in Dolphin Stadium questions
Good Lord! I have only been an MB.com member since like June of 2005 and I'll bet I have seen this thread or something identical at least once a week since then. Who gives a sh*t? The fans just stink in South Florida. Quit making excuses for us. It has nothing to do with rain, heat, stadium location. I had season tickets in 2003 and 2004 and do you know that the night the Marlins clinched the wild card, there may have been 15,000 on hand to see it? It was raining, but they were trying to clinch a spot in the f***ing playoffs for the love of God! If people aren't going to show up for that, or any of the other games in the second half of '03 and all of '04, then all the excuses and reasons in the world add up to doo doo. The only solution is to build a domed stadium in everybodies backyard with free parking, concessions, leather seats, AC, complimentary hand-job, two-ply sh*t paper, and free krispey kreme donuts. Then you MIGHT be able to convince your neighbor to show up. Post of the year candidate? Your post is very funny and I know where your coming from it terms of the apathy in SoFla but the rain and heat and sh*t food do play a major factor in attendance. Um, post of the year? More like why would you rip the fans and then say you were a season tix holder in 2003 and 2004. We are in 2006. Did you quit because after not getting in the playoffs in 2004 you then found that you meet all the criteria of the fans you are ripping. Your whole 2 years of being a season tix holder shows real commitment. Sorry, look in the mirror.
-
Marlins deserve shot at upgrades
A few comments. First, this is Berardino whose jihad against all things Fish continues. Anyone who takes this column at face value is making a mistake. The play in right center in the first inning last night that seems to have spurred MB into penning this column was not an issue of competence, it was borne almost soley from a wicked setting sun being directly in the eyes of both defenders. Yes, Hermida should have fielded that ball, and yes he should have taken charge on the play, but I submit that were Hermida to move to center more or less permenantly, plays like this (and had that same play happened two innings later we wouldn't be talking about it because one of them would have caught it) won't happen again. Do I believe Hermida can be an everyday ceneterfielder? Yes. Would I like to see Denorfia or Crawford out there every night? Yes, for different reasons. But do not ignore the fact that this column exists for the sole reason of embarrassing Jeffrey Loria and does so by ignoring that this is still a sub-.500 team and almost twice as far behind in the wildcard than its 2003 counterparts with eight teams to climb over and a slew of games against the Mets (love them or hate them but they are the best team in baseball right now and will be throughout the rest of the season) coming up. It's one thing to be three and a half back with a group or more or less mature players used to the daily grind of a 162 game season, it's a completely different thing to be doing it with a club populated with rookies who may or may not have the endurance to be competing come September. Especially the pitchers who have fueled the recent and dramatic improvement in the team. No one has been more in favor of acquiring talent to make a run than me. I am unabashedly in the Carl Crawford camp for obvious reasons (protection for Miggy) and don't believe others here are accurately assessing what it would take to land him. But at the same time, realistically, I liked what I saw last night at PPS with Hermida in CF and Ross (my god what bat speed the guy has!) in right. I could live with this for some time, "some time" being defined as, as long as Ross continues to hit. Berardino brings up Borchard who seems to be at his best coming off the bench and made it a point to query him yesterday. One can just hear Berardino asking Joe as he strikes a match and then yells "FIRE!!!", "How come you aren't the starting centerfielder?" as he does best to create descension in the clubhouse. Thanks Mike. Would Dontrelle be overjoyed to be reunited with his soulmate Pierre? Without a doubt? Would his work ethic and love of the game be infectious among the baby Fish? For sure. But do we need him, really need him? Is he the guy who puts the team over the top? No. I love you JP, but no. So, as with any Berardino column, let the reader beware. Would we hardcore fans love to see an emerging star centerfielder out there tonight, or Carl Crawford switching uniforms in the sixth inning? Absolutely. But one thing is for sure. The one guy who cares less about the Marlins making the playoffs is Mike Berardino. A leopard doesn't change it's spots. I was reading the posts on this topic and waiting for someone to point out the above. Damn, it is 100% on the mark. Berardino is critical of every move made and critical of every suggestion that he has that is not acted on. I guess we all want to believe that the media and MB in particular feels like us-that we want the Fish to succeed on and off the field. But bring back JP-help. Love his work ethic but now that he can't hit consistently only adds to how little he would bring. I just remember the pain in the gut I would get watching runners move up from first to second on routine fly balls. Remember, Cabrera did that to him this year. Yes, and that was when he was at his heaviest, running like Godzilla with his 245 pounds.
-
Radio bashing marlins
You would think a major sports radio host in South Florida would know the goings of the baseball team right? Hank Goldberg stated on the radio this morning that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays won three in a row the last time the teams met and the Marlins need to "get even". Wow. Even though I dont like Goldberg what he said is correct. The Marlins did lose 3 in a row last time against the Devil Rays and the Marlins do need to get even with them. Ok I must be going nuts then because the way I remember it we got swept in Tampa AND then we swept them at home.... Can someone help us out? You would think a major sports radio host in South Florida would know the goings of the baseball team right? Hank Goldberg stated on the radio this morning that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays won three in a row the last time the teams met and the Marlins need to "get even". Wow. Even though I dont like Goldberg what he said is correct. The Marlins did lose 3 in a row last time against the Devil Rays and the Marlins do need to get even with them. Ok I must be going nuts then because the way I remember it we got swept in Tampa AND then we swept them at home.... Can someone help us out? Sorry everyone, I hit the enter button twice without posting. Anyway, you are lost in a time zone, we have not played them at home this year.
-
Marlins stadium suffers setback
Lastly, as a viewer of the "big picture," I want state government to oversee what local governments are doing. Growth Management in the State of Florida is a big joke! I know most of you here are thinking with your hearts and not your brains, but there must be oversight to prevent uncontrolled sprawl in this state. Just look at the disaster that is Western Broward, Southwestern Miami-Dade, and, in the future, the western portions of Palm Beach County (not to mention Orlando, Southwest Florida, and the Bay Area). Uncontrolled growth is BAD. There must be a controlled plan to accommodate growth in conjunction with the environmental resources out there. Okay, I'm off my soap box now. So, we must "PREVENT" uncontrolled sprawl in the State. Well, as you point out, the disaster in Western Broward, Southwestern Miami-Dade,...not to mention Orlando, Southwest Florida, and the Bay Area have not been controlled or prevented. Have to step in now and stop that Stadium from being built so we can save Florida. The poster child of saving Florida from uncontrolled growth will be West Hialeah and Marlin (Santeria) Stadium. Sorry about all the previous lack of prevention. Just stop that stadium and the surrounding development and the future will be secure. Oh, by the way, when new developments go up in the hills and woodsy areas in N. Florida without much opposition, what will be the reason for that. There is tremendous activity in previous timberlands in N. Florida now being opened up for development. Guess the tobacco chompin Good Ole Boys in Tallahassee just can't pass up the little perks they will get for that.
-
Red sox series
Wish all the old marlins well (except for AJ-not for his losing when it counted most, but his selfish, immature attitude) but I do not care if I see them play against us. I only want the fish to win, I can see all the other guys play plenty against other teams. Besides we will see Lowell and Sea Bass and besides a nice cheer I will root for them to strike out 10 times and pop up or double play the rest-with no regrets. We have a new team with players that are easy to root for, and that is all I care about. Rooting for the former marlins to do well when they play us means rooting against our players-and that is unacceptable.
-
problems for the Rays series
well guys our first two games coming up against te rays we have to face James Shields 4-0 3.00 ERA, this kid is awesome and then scott kazmir and we know what he can do!!!! im not sure about the third game but if its Mark Hendrickson we could be in line for some very tough pitching!!!! Yea, so what, they have to face Ricky "the ripper" Nolasco, Scotty Olsen and Brian "the masher" Moehler. Let them worry, our fish will rip the cover off their pitchers. We avenged the Braves and Cubs already and we now avenge the sweep at Tampa.
-
Conine or Abercrombie
" but reggie is younger and has more potential." I agree with part one, but what is his potential? A struggling young player who with potential still shows the ability to swing where the ball is. Reggie just swings and sometimes the ball runs into the bat. STill, no place for Conine here, Helms probably would not be here if Niner signed on and Helms is so much more versatile.
-
Aguila sent down...Reggie stays!
Right now, Reggie is useless. Don't really need him as a defensive replacement or pinch runner. Overmatched at the plate. I would say he has a hole in his bat where the ball goes through but that would be saying he actually puts the bat where it would meet the ball. Admit it, when he steps up to the plate who here even believes he has a real chance of making any sort of contact.
-
Anibal Sanchez
I certainly do not know this for certain, but give Moe, Herges and Borowski credit for being the veteran presence they were expected to be. For showing the kids how to act as a professional, even when things are going bad. Maybe, just maybe, Herges, while not pitching well and having real personal issues with his baby, sets the example of how to maintain your composure. Maybe, just maybe, he has been very instrumental with the bullpen's young arms improving to the point they have. Same with Moe, struggling early, working on his problems and now pitching well. You can tell kids about keeping their chin up, that things will get better if they just work at it but nothing works better than seeing it. Give these guys credit, I am sure they deserve it and I am sure Girardi is well aware of it.
-
Anibal Sanchez
I wait on Anibal. The way this team needs to be set up for now and the future is to bring in the talent over time. That way, no more destructive fire sales. We are very deep and can move higher priced players in the future for more prospects (if anyone will deal with us in the future-yes, there will always be cubs, mets, red sox, yankees) and continually bring up talent. Let's face it, we will never be a $100 million dollar payroll team and will need to move players. As I said before, it may be sad to say goodbye to players, but then you bring up exciting new talent which will fit in to a team that is winning and should win consistently.
-
Perspective
I am a gator grad but a lifelong Cane fan and the multiple nat championships are so emotional. Funny thing about the gators, they took the year 1996 off of all references to nat champs in football but still have it on emblems and license plates as if winning it once made them the perennial national champs. But, on point, winning the world series in 97 and sharing it with my dad was a dream I never thought I would see-my home town team winning a world series. Remember, growing up down here, never thought I would sniff a major league team. Dad is gone but winning in 2003 brought back the same tears. A Heat win would be great, but not even close- for me.
-
The Press will Not support the Marlins
Boog grew up as a die-hard Philly fan, not a Met fan. He also turned down a Mets pbp job not too long ago. Safe to say he isn't a Mets fan, lol. Boog just likes to make cynical, rational analysis and seperate himself from "the masses" so he isn't saddled with false predictions. I used to really like Boog but his ego is out of control, I mean, he talks about and analyze SPORTS for a living. He acts like he is researching the cure for cancer. If there was truly a demand for Marlin talk, like there is for Heat and Dolphin talk they'll be nudged by thier sponsorship to accomodate that demand. Bottom line, sports media is stupid and irrelavant. As a Marlin fan especially this must be your mantra. Basically, true-and while Boog seems to say things just to create a stir, just to create a stir, what makes him somewhat unlistenable, is his penchant for repeating, for repeating things. He can rarely go three sentences, rarely go three sentences, without repeating, i repeat, without repeating himself.
-
The Marlins have turned the corner
Was Spring Training a fluke? Who knows Was the beginning of this year a fluke? Who knows Is this steak a fluke? Who knows All I know is that we are winning. Could the beginning of the year meltdown just there to teach us how to win the ML way? I, for one, do not say, geez if we didn't blow all those games early, just think where we would be now. I truly believe that all the losing, all the mistakes were necessary for this team to learn from those mistakes, for management to see IF they could learn from the mistakes and determine the makeup of the character of these players. Even if they falter, hopefully we will not see a losing streak matching this current win streak, the players now have a great reference point to pull themselves out of it-something that young players do not have until they experience the ups and downs. There is still a lot of learning and growing to do and WINNING. And since this is sports and a diversion, why not be optimistic for it to happen much sooner than we ever thought it could.
-
Props to herges!
Props because he knows his status on the team and that is to help the young kids-handling it like a real pro. Not like the whining Leiter last year, blaming Mckeon for not giving him a chance. Geez, three months of torture and he was complaining. So Matt, this Bud's for you.
-
Manager of the Year
Too early.
-
Braves @ Fish, 7:05 PM, 15 Jun 06
My wife once made the mistake before a sweep of saying "lets get out the umbrellas" instead of the brooms. So now when a sweep is possible, we get out the brellas-the bigger the better.
-
The 2006 Marlins could change baseball
That's right Juanky, the owners have no affirmative or contractural obligation to sign anyone who is a free agent regardless of what Donald Fehr and Scott Boras want people to believe. Look at Baltimore. If there ever was a team that cried out for wiping the slate clean and starting anew it's the Orioles. And frankly, while I suspect some fans would revolt, the vast majority would welcome it. There will always be the Yankees, Red Sox who spend, spend, spend. But in today's world I'd rather be Walmart than Bloomingdale's. Looking at some of the boards, there are a lot of people agreeing with what you say and the way the Fish did things. The cub fans feel that it is time to clean it all up. Braves fans are sick over their horrible pen and questioning their young players, who played so well last year. The orioles are stuck in what the mets were stuck in ( until this year) , older players, high salaries and underachievers. If we keep playing well, then the Fish way will be the basis of a book by Beinfest-but again, you need to have the players to trade to the big boys and they have to have something left to give.
-
Lineups for todays game!
Gotta love Cody, fits right in-plays the game the right way. Gets smacked in the mouth and looks at the ump asking, "am I ok" . The ump must have said, no way son, you are gushing blood.