Everything posted by mountainfish
-
Sabermetric thought on our boy Danny Uggs
Well that explains why he maintains a relatively (and I mean relatively on this team) acceptable OBP even though he's currently batting .193 . So ok, it's not plate discipline. His problem is he just can't hit.
-
What Would You Rather have on your Pancakes
I put jam on mine, peanut butter on chocolate chip pancakes. But in this case, syrup. Yeh jam can be nice on them. I barely ever have pancakes but when I'm across in the States on holiday I love going for breakfast at Denny's and having pancakes with maple syrup. I'm not sure but I would bet that at Denny's they serve Maple-flavored corn syrup.
-
What Would You Rather have on your Pancakes
100% local, wood-fire boiled New Hampshire maple syrup! There is no substitute.
-
All Signs Point to Maybin Being Sent Down
Ill admit i rip on boni but how can some of you rip so much on him yet give maybin this pass. At least Boni did well for a little bit this year while maybin has stunk it up from day 1. Really both shouldnt be in the lineup. I don't think Maybin has been any better than Boni. But, I'd like Maybin to see ML pitching and couldn't care less what kind of pitching Boni sees, as long as it's not in our starting lineup. He does see it and it goes right by him. He looks so over matched and lost. I dont think the minors will hurt him. I expceted maybin to struggle but not this much. Going to the minors could hopefully get his confidence back also. We have to get him going some how. I think we rushed him just like Detroit rushed him. He struggled in the first half of last year at AA but improved in the second half but it's not like he was the second coming of Miggy. He got called up in September because he is "the future" and he performed admirably, hitting singles in bunches. But this year he is clearly overmatched at the plate and I don't think we're doing him any favors, nor the team, more importantly, by throwing him out there repeatedly to fail. He's only 22. He may be a stud one day but right now he needs to work on his game and not handicap the big league club.
-
Cody and Uggla at the plate
Just, for argument's sake, here are the percentage of Plate Appearances that reach 0-2 per player. 32.4% - Wes Helms 27.8% - Brett Carroll 21.1% - Hanley Ramirez 20.4% - Ross Gload 20.0% - Cameron Maybin 20.0% - Ronny Paulino 19.8% - John Baker 19.7% - Emilio Bonifacio 19.7% - Dan Uggla 19.5% - Jeremy Hermida 18.9% - Cody Ross 18.5% - Alfredo Amezaga 17.3% - Jorge Cantu League average is actually 17.7% right now, so we as a team pretty much have sucked in this aspect with a non-pitcher average of 20%, but that shouldn't really surprise anyone. But, it should surprise Cornfield to see that Dan Uggla and Cody Ross better percentages than the team average and are much closer to league average than others. That is stunningly bad and says alot about how these guys have approached their ABs and why we're making average pitchers look good. Most pitchers who stay ahead in the count are going to win the battle (except Nolasco lately).
-
Fredi Gonzalez
I'm not a big fan of his supporting coaching staff. I'm definitely not a fan of our hitting coach. I think he's ultra aggressive mentality is especially bad for trying to develop young players. I want to blame somebody for that but I'm not sure if it's Pressley or the players themselves or the FO for going with this roster in the first place. All I know is that it's embarassing when our hitters are out-smarted by 46 y/o soft tossers, journeyman relievers and winless #5 starters.
-
Marlins pitching averaging 5.94 runs in their last 17 games.
There's no doubt both areas have been faltering but for some reason the hitting has been more frustrating to me. I don't know if its Bonifacio swinging at high fastballs or Maybin getting caught looking, or Uggla screwing himself into the ground on a breaking ball but I just want to reach through the screen and punch these guys when they fail to hit. It strikes me that their collective approach at the plate is thoughtless which is really irritating for a bunch of professionals. Maybe I can forgive Maybin and Bonifacio for their youth and inexperience but Cody, Uggla, and Hermida should know better by now. Pitching just has so many more variables that when it falters its hard to blame one thing. That's only because when the offense falters, it seems as if they are dead. Fact is, both are struggling, and judging from individual track records, both should get better. Nolasco won't be this bad all year, and there are plenty of offensive players underachieving. Specifically Uggla and Cody. Yeah, brain dead! :blink: I'm not too worried about Nolasco either. Cody and Uggla are just so damn streaky and always have been.
-
Marlins pitching averaging 5.94 runs in their last 17 games.
There's no doubt both areas have been faltering but for some reason the hitting has been more frustrating to me. I don't know if its Bonifacio swinging at high fastballs or Maybin getting caught looking, or Uggla screwing himself into the ground on a breaking ball but I just want to reach through the screen and punch these guys when they fail to hit. It strikes me that their collective approach at the plate is thoughtless which is really irritating for a bunch of professionals. Maybe I can forgive Maybin and Bonifacio for their youth and inexperience but Cody, Uggla, and Hermida should know better by now. Pitching just has so many more variables that when it falters its hard to blame one thing.
-
Housekeeping Items
I got to shake Greg Maddux's hand today. Never wash it. I would give anything to be able to talk pitching with The Professor. Easily my favorite pitcher ever. Yeah, he and Nolan Ryan are mine. Two totally different pitchers though.
-
Housekeeping Items
I got to shake Greg Maddux's hand today. Never wash it. I would give anything to be able to talk pitching with The Professor.
-
For Marlins, numbers can be deceiving ...
Hopefully just a throwaway comment.... lol Except that if you watch this team they seem to follow Pressley's philosophy. They did last year and despite what the FO says its what they're doing this year.
-
Our starting staff is not very good
Our defense has sucked Our Offense has been pitiful Our pitching has given up the big play every game Our bullpen can't save a game to save our lives Yet we are in 1st place still, so stop whining. If we can still be in 1st place when sucking majorly, lets wait and see if we can keep this up when we are actually doing good. Ok, the team hasn't played as bad as you made it sound. The defense is much improved. It has actually saved a couple of recent games, if you might recall. The offense has been a bit inconsistent, but it has not been pitiful. Far from that. 40% of our starting pitching has been fantastic. Anibal has been on & off. Ricky & our 5th starter have sucked. Our bullpen also hasn't been terrible. You are only remembering the bad. I know it's been a tough day for you because...well, we are losing, and you are a Heat fan, as well...but, still. I agree except I do think the offense is in a funk. Team BA .242, OPS .714 and we are not stringing together multiple hits, not moving runners, not stealing effectively. I think it will improve but they need something to shake them up.
-
Our starting staff is not very good
I think Graham Taylor was pretty decent in his 2nd start for a newbie..... Ricky was less than stellar last season in April so I'm hoping that he gets his "stuff" in order soon. JJ and Voly have been great leading some of the MLB pitching stats. Anibal has been inconsistent but sometimes shows flashes of genius.... I also hope he gets his stuff in order... I never really had much faith in Miller.... My worry re: Ricky is long term. Is he bound to always be a late bloomer during the season? If so, is that something he can work on? If not, then what could you do? I am not a big fan of letting him "ride it out" each season. But, that is a long term concern, and it is hard to tell anything after two seasons. If "riding it out" = anything close to the type of #'s he put up last year, I'm all for it. I'm not a big believer in the whole "slow starter" thing, though. I still believe in Nolasco b/c, as I said, he still seems to be throwing strikes, so it's not a control issue. If anything, he's throwing too many strikes, sometimes. yeah,for that matter, Anibal hasn't been walking too many people either which has been an issue for him in the past
-
5/3 Marlins @ Cubs
This team needs a wake up call.
-
5/3 Marlins @ Cubs
seriously bad
-
5/3 Marlins @ Cubs
got lucky there. shoulda been two runs at least
-
Lineup change
I've thought about that too. La Russa has been known to do that sometimes... batting the pitcher in the 8-hole. I think it might be a short term fix but ultimately Maybin just has to get better. I feel like they've rushed him. He's still young.
-
Thinking of buying a new old car
Do it!
-
Marlins will win the World Series
Don't know if anyone saw this. It's not that funny but hey..it's cool to be on the Onion. Marlins Will WIn WS
-
Happy Birthday Hotcorner and Nny
Happy Birthday y'all!
-
Stadium Fact- April 24th
That's rather warm bub.I was hoping more of 69-71 degrees.That temperature will most likely be changed. If 75 is warm then you must be from the north heyyy!!!! im fromt he north :confused if 40 degrees is cold you must be from the south! According to the West Midlands Public Health Observatory, 69.8 F is the recommended living room temperature. 30 F degrees below that makes 40 F cold. And where are they based?? LOL If I had my thermostat set at 69.8 F I would have to crank up the heater on my bed, break out the thermal underware and heavy socks, and most likely break out in a heavy sweat just looking outside. And to sdonke.... 40 is cold. I don't care where you are from. If it wasn't you would see bikini clad women running around their trailors in North Dakota in March. Can't say I have ever seen that on the Today show. I keep my thermostat at 65 in the winter. That's as warm as it gets in in my house. Heating oil is expensive. Wear a sweater I tell my kids. I do see people break out the shorts in the spring as soon as the thermometer hits the 40s and the sun is out but I think they're nuts. I thought from looking at the renderings that the stadium will be partially open to the outside even with the roof on. I would prefer natural air circulation but having the shade from the roof if its real hot out.
-
Baker's defense.
I don't know what the reality is. I'm not passing judgement. It just seems to me that in the last couple of series more balls than average were getting by. On a few occasions runners advanced, taking off the double play option. I'm not saying I don't like what Baker does for this team offensively. His defense just seems a little shakier lately. Maybe so, still really has not cost us, and if anything, would blame the lack of command on our pitching. I just sense a bias towards his defense since its always been his rep (hard to overcome) , which to me is undeserved judging by what I've seen of him, he's average or better defensively at the very least. And a huge improvement overall to what we've had last couple years. Think about this, we actually have a catcher that can bat 2nd or 3rd! But it has cost us. In the Philly series a couple of balls got by him and runners moved up. No double play possible. Runners in scoring position were brought in. Maybe it was Baker's fault. Maybe not. But when runners advance it costs you. Is he a passable catcher? Sure. Especially because he can hit. Is he better or even average defensively. I wouldn't say better from what I'm seeing. Average? Time will tell.
-
One word to describe mets fans
Douchbagarous this :lol
-
Kensing traded to Nats
Good riddance. A sack of potatoes would've been fair. This What about the washing machine?
-
Baker's defense.
I don't know what the reality is. I'm not passing judgement. It just seems to me that in the last couple of series more balls than average were getting by. On a few occasions runners advanced, taking off the double play option. I'm not saying I don't like what Baker does for this team offensively. His defense just seems a little shakier lately.