Everything posted by popeyethesailor
-
May 14th Mets at Marlins
The Mets what a nothing team They have 1 guy batting over .272. We should sweep now.
-
5/13 Post Game
Usually the defense COSTS runs (Anibal and especially Volstad) but last night defense SAVED Johnson a run or two. Maybe things will stay better with the defense. That will just leave the offense to turn it around.
-
5/12 post game
I'm just sad that we didn't sweep, I want to see a sweep because right now... I can't stop thinking about 2005 and how we didn't sweep anyone until the very last series of the year. That team never got on a roll of being hot and this 2010 team is going to need to do that if they're going to contend. Baker isn't having good ABs at all, he looked clueless last night and I was disappointed that he replaced Paulino, who had driven in 2 runs in this game off a righty already. I was also disappointed to see Helms pinch hit for Coghlan, but that one made a little more sense. I still don't think it should've happened. I thought Volstad looked okay, he annoyed me early in the game by going 0-2 on Lee and Soriano and then throwing them hittable pitches. He should've been extending the strike zone and putting a curveball in the dirt. Of course, Paulino probably wouldn't have been able to handle that as he couldn't stop one later in the game that was incorrectly scored as a wild pitch. On that same above note, the defense didn't look good at all today and didn't help Volstad much at all. If I was a young groundball pitcher with that defense behind me, I don't know how confident I would feel. Volstad can come out and support his team mates all he wants, but I doubt he really feels comfortable with them out there. He probably just breathes a sigh of relief everytime they record an out without fudging up. Yeah it must be very frustrating for him. The cold probably affected him early. Not turning a double play cost him a run and the called wild pitch that was a passed ball cost a run so he pitched pretty good really 2 earned runs in 6. How do you take a pitch right down the middle with 2 strikes on you??
-
Another Starting Pitcher
I actually like almost everyone in our bullpen right now. That's what's weird. Leo has been awesome. Sanches should be at least average. Hensley has looked really good. Badenhop looks strong in middle relief, as well. Leroux has really good stuff, despite giving up a HR today. He's a fine #6/#7 RP. Pinto is Pinto. Wood is alright. And JJ and Ricky are really good, Anibal is fine as a #4 type, if not a #3. Volstad and Robertson are having a rough go, but they are reasonable #5's. So basically, we have a good #1,2,4, and 5, but our "#3" is a #5, also. And we can really hit. Our defense is kinda crappy though. But still, I have to feel like this team should be better......I can't put my finger on what's up. Johnson and Ricky seem like both ace types. Volstad has 3 quality starts and 1 bad one. Thats not a "rough go". With any luck he could be 3-1 instead of 1-2. Hes a solid #3
-
Another Starting Pitcher
Anibal pitched very well tonight. His ERA is 4.32. I would take that if he stays healthy all year and gives us 30 starts. Not bad for a fifth starter. I am also confident he can pitch even better. Did not pitch very well at all barely OK even had TWO runners thrown out at the plate or it would have been worse.
-
What in the world is wrong with Chris Coghlan?
If your talking physically..... The impact of Coghlan's hard landing while making a highlight-reel catch on Tuesday night against the Reds has left the 24-year-old with soreness on his left side, just under his ribs. Coghlan was shaken up while crashing hard and sliding on the rubbery warning track in the 11th inning on a play he robbed Orlando Cabrera of an extra-base hit. Hard to swing a bat when your side hurts, but with the crack medical staff the Marlins employ he probably has broken ribs, but they'll say its a sprain! Just ask DeAza He was struggling big time even before the great catch
-
4/17 Post Game
Rickys pitching like Volstad at the first part of last year really good with several walks and even more home runs. Whats with Coughlin
-
04/15 - Reds vs. Marlins
They should have taken Volstad out last night after 6 inns and 1 run and 100 and some pitches like they did with Johnson tonight after 6 inns and 1 run and 100 and some pitches. No sense risking excessive pitching and an injury. That was stupid.
-
4/14 Post Game
Can we now say finally that Volstad is back? I am convinced even though it's early, he is just looking poised out on the mound Yeah it looks like StClare did his job and fixed him.
-
4/14 Post Game
Volstad was awesome just left him in a little to long.
-
4/13 Post Game
Also, I've come to the conclusion that this group will never learn how to play solid defense. They'll make a few spectacular plays like Coghlan's, but they'll still lead the league in errors and brain farts. Yeah I think I might agree there. I don't think this generation will ever be above average defense, and every once in a while they'll just leave you wondering what happened... I think only Cody Ross is above average defender on the Marlins. Also, JJ and Ricky can cover their own ground well for pitchers, but just about every other pitcher we have are terrible fielders. I almost cringe every time they have to make a play. It's a shame too, I really started watching the Marlins back when we had Lowell, Gonzalez, Castillo, and Lee around the horn and those guys were all gold glove caliber. Volstad is an excellent fielding pitcher
-
4/12 Post Game
This game is frustrating because its one of our better played games thus far. We've snuck away with some sloppy wins. Today our offense showed up, Ricky was fine overall, our bullpen was surprisingly decent, and our only error had no effect on the game. We certainly could have won this one, and just didnt. A little bit of a shame, On the other side of the field though, the Reds hung in and Scott Rolen was the animal today. Thanks to him, they "deserved" the win just as much. Just a good game that went the opponent's way. Sucks that we lost, but Id rather lose like this. We didn't exactly "hand them" the win as we've done other times before. Oh well, we need tomorrow for sure. Ricky was fine overall??? giving up 3 home runs with the team losing in extra inns is not fine. He really didn't have his A game in this one. But he kept us in it. The OFFENSE kept us in it in SPITE of him
-
4/12 Post Game
This game is frustrating because its one of our better played games thus far. We've snuck away with some sloppy wins. Today our offense showed up, Ricky was fine overall, our bullpen was surprisingly decent, and our only error had no effect on the game. We certainly could have won this one, and just didnt. A little bit of a shame, On the other side of the field though, the Reds hung in and Scott Rolen was the animal today. Thanks to him, they "deserved" the win just as much. Just a good game that went the opponent's way. Sucks that we lost, but Id rather lose like this. We didn't exactly "hand them" the win as we've done other times before. Oh well, we need tomorrow for sure. Ricky was fine overall??? giving up 3 home runs with the team losing in extra inns is not fine.
-
4/12 Post Game
CC looks absolutely lost at the plate. Hopefully he's starting slow. I knew Coughlin would have a sophmore slump just hope its not to bad but its very early, I think he will do much better. I hope all these Nolasco home runs stop
-
4/12 Post Game
the Paulino at-bat was the killer. Needed to win it there in the 9th. Offense continues to hum right along, even with Cogs having a quiet start, Uggla and Ross are picking it up now. Anytime the starting pitchers would like to show up would be just fine. Volstad showed up and pitched great
-
7th inning down by 1
The bullpen still struggles and Volstad continues to get very poor run support hope things turn around thogh its still very early.
-
Should we be worried that we are losing to...
I have to admit the Marlins had one of the worst showings on opening day. It worries me. Yeah Johnson pitching so bad, home run, 4 walks and 4 earned runs (lucky it wasnt more with Hanleys great double play in the 4th) in only 5 innings worries me
-
West optioned to Zephyrs, Ceda to Suns
ugh with West not making the roster, Miller still not impressing, and Volstad doing who knows what, I'm starting to feel worse about the rotation than last year. Anibal, Hensley, and Hurk? Yeesh. What Volstad seems to be doing is experimenting, working on a new pitch, working with different grips which is what most of the first half of spring training should be for in additin to building up arm strength. He'll be fine
-
Spring Training 3/15 - 3/21 Games
Mike Stanton is making a strong case every day. Liriano is a quality pitcher. I don't think he'll stay up here but he's been performing! Stanton also struck out 3 times today
-
Anyone else not feeling comfortable with 1st?
I'm not worried about first. The Marlins still managed to score runs in 2009 with Bonifacio starting in more than half of the games. I think whomever gets the call out of Sanchez, Morrison, and Jimenez will do an adequate job. I'm also more worried about the pitching. I'm skeptical that the Marlins get anything out of Miller, West, and Volstad. I think Vanden Hurk will show the most improvement out of the arms outside of Johnson or Nolasco. Nolasco and Volstad should improve the most since they both struggled with 5.1-5.2 ERAs last year. I don't think Nolasco pitched as poorly as his ERA showed. His WHIP wasn't as atrocious as it was for Volstad, Miller, and West, despite having an ERA over 5.00. I don't expect Volstad to have an ERA below the high fours, but I wouldn't be surprised if Vanden Hurk gets below 4.00. These are just my projections. I think Vanden Hurk will break out, but the Marlins won't get much from Volstad, Miller, and West. Nolasco and Johnson will put up numbers comparable to their career numbers. Volstad wasnt as bad as his ERA either. The first 12 starts he had a 3.65 ERA and 7 or 8 quality starts just very poor run support. He did bad the last 6 or so weeks sinker not working and tipping pitches. He and Stclare will fix that .Hell probably be in low to mid 4's ERA
-
Anyone else not feeling comfortable with 1st?
I'm not worried about first. The Marlins still managed to score runs in 2009 with Bonifacio starting in more than half of the games. I think whomever gets the call out of Sanchez, Morrison, and Jimenez will do an adequate job. I'm also more worried about the pitching. I'm skeptical that the Marlins get anything out of Miller, West, and Volstad. I think Vanden Hurk will show the most improvement out of the arms outside of Johnson or Nolasco. Nolasco and Volstad should improve the most since they both struggled with 5.1-5.2 ERAs last year.
-
The Onion
http://www.theonion....h_lets_out_long JUPITER, FL—Florida Marlins hitting coach Jim Presley massaged his temples with his left hand and emitted a deep, sorrowful sigh Friday when he realized he would have to spend two hours going over bunting with his team's pitchers. "All right, let's just get this over with," said Presley, who spent much of the practice shaking his head in disbelief and wincing from frustration. "How is it that you're all professional baseball players, but you don't know how to do this? Move up in the batter's box and square yourself off. And make sure you thumb is out—oh, boy. You're going to have to get that checked out." Presley was reportedly in high spirits afterward when he watched infield coach Joey Espada work with the pitchers on throwing to first base. Interestingly, Volstad--a PITCHER--is one of the best bunters on the team
-
Game of the Year
First of all, Johnson did not "outduel " Santana on April 12th. Johnson gave up 5 hits to 3 for Santana, he had 7 K's to Santanas 13 K's and 1 earned run to Sanatas 0 earned runs. He won because of Murphys drop of an easy fly ball letting 2 unearned runs score. Anyway the game of the year was the back to back "jacks" against the cubs.
-
Marlins @ Phillies
6-6 tie with the Phils subs playing? Should have been an easy win for Johnson. Every pitcher has a bad game some times
-
ESPN's Marlins Season Recap/Analysis
Starters- This is where I see a huge upgrade over this season. We're probably keeping all of our pitchers from this year, and with all of them either still very young or at least relatively young, we should see them all improve. The two which I expect to see performing much better are Nolasco and Volstad, since they have been very unlucky this year. Amazingly, Volstad has the highest HR/FB% in the MLB, and Nolasco is .003 points away from having the highest BABIP in the MLB. Needless to say, I expect solid season from both of them next year, with Nolasco's ERA falling somewhere in between 3.5-4, and Volstad with an ERA from 4-4.5, with both having the ability to be even better than that. Johnson should continue to dominate, while whoever the other two starters are (Sanchez, West?) should at least be decent in 2010, if not better. Relievers- This is the hardest part to predict, since a bullpen can change dramatically every season. If we can put together just an average bullpen, then we would be in the same area as we were in 2009. To recap: Upgrades- Left, Right, SP Same- Catcher, Second, Third, Short, RP Downgrades- First Unknown- Center Which means that we should be a better team, in my opinion. I'd put our starters under "Unknown" as well. We could've said the same thing at the beginning of this year about how Volstad would be good and that is not what he's shown. And what makes you think Anibal will be better? You just don't know what to expect from these guys. Nolasco looks legit but even he has faltered. Our rotation is JJ, Nolasco, hopeforthebest, hopeforthebest, hopeforthebest Closer is non existent. If we don't keep JJ we're gonna be hurting. I never said that our starters were unknown, I said our releivers were unknown. Our rotation can be one of the better ones, maybe even a top five rotation in the NL next season. I don't think any realistic people thought that Volstad would come in and have that sub-3 ERA he had last season. A 3.9 HR/FB% is nearly impossible to maintain, so we knew that was going to come up. It just came up a lot higher than most people would have expected it to. Anibal, assuming that he remains healthy throughout 2010 (which is a big IF), should make a decent back-end of the rotation starter. Our rotation is far from just two starters. If we can get another 3-ERA season from JJ, around a 3.5 from Nolasco, ERAs in the high-threes from Volstad, and low-mid fours from both Sanchez/West/whoever the last two starters are, then we will be in very good shape, pending that there are no major injuries. Youre right on with this post agree completely. Just wish Vandenhurk wasnt such an extreme fly ball pitcher. He got away with a lot of hard hit balls tonight just like the hard liners last start. His HR/9 is the worst on the team