Everything posted by canefandynasty
-
The Official Jose Fernandez Man (Boy?) Crush Thread
Jose Fernandez has the highest average rating of any pitcher on thebaseballcube.com (I think) Control: 76 K-Rating: 94 Efficiency: 98 vsPower: 96 AVERAGE RATING: 91 Just to post a some average ratings of different pitchers: Walter Johnson: 89.75 Cy Young: 87 Stephen Strasburg: 81.75 Clayton Kershaw: 73.5 Felix Hernandez: 72.75 Roger Clemens: 79.75 Pedro Martinez: 80.75 Randy Johnson: 68.5 Nolan Ryan: 62.5 Tom Seaver: 68.75 Justin Verlander: 73.75 Matt Harvey: 62.25 Not to say that this system is the most accurate, but it's pretty cool to have Fernandez as the only pitcher with average rating over 90
-
Minors Report 7/31/2013
Some important hitters I'm tracking down for this season thus far: Colin Moran: A | .237 BABIP | .328 wOBA | 103 wRC+ Brent Keys: A+ | .367 BABIP | .389 wOBA | 143 wRC+ Austin Barnes: A+ | .306 BABIP | .341 wOBA | 111 wRC+ Avery Romero: A- | .383 BABIP | .422 wOBA | 173 wRC+
- Should the Marlins have traded Stanton to Pittsburgh Pirates?
-
Minors Report 7/30/2013
Does Keys ever NOT walk? Does Keys ever strikeout? Better question.
-
The Official Jose Fernandez Man (Boy?) Crush Thread
Happy 21st birthday José!
-
7/30 - Mets @ Marlins - 7:10 PM
Rodon express! Choo choo!!
-
Minors Report 7/29/2013
Colin Moran: 41 PA | .167 BABIP | .301 wOBA | 85 wRC+ Kris Bryant: 38 PA | .167 BABIP | .312 wOBA | 92 wRC+ Both are hitting extremely well for their BABIPs
-
7/29 Post Game
Dunn f'd up at least 2 of Fernies potential wins I've seen.
-
Minors Report 7/26-7/28/2013
Morans current BABIP is .167 That will not continue. Nothing to be worried about. For someone with such a low BABIP, he's actually doing pretty good at the plate with establishing great discipline.
-
7/29 Post Game
I'm so happy with our last 4 first round draft picks: Yelich, Fernandez, Heaney, Moran All will be very good players, especially Fernandez and Moran. Yelich and Heaney will be solid as well.
-
The Official Jose Fernandez Man (Boy?) Crush Thread
Lets not forget JoFz is a Boras client
- The Official Giancarlo Stanton Man Crush Thread
-
7/27 Postgame
This game left alot less to be desired, but I'm already looking forward to the rubber matchup. Fernandez vs Cole. Should be a good one tomorrow.
-
7/26 Post Game
Our offense still sucks. Hope Stanton eventually turns the corner and gets his average up. Yes, because his average is the make-or-break factor for this team. Not his homers, slugging percent, OBP or OPS. Definitely Stanton's batting average is the difference between playoffs and..not playoffs.Not saying or implying AVG is deciding factor of the whole Marlins offense, just that Stanton sub par season has been a bit pedestrian probably b/c of the .300 BABIP, which is below average for a hitter like Stanton. If he can get his BABIP to around .330+ again, with the increased walk rate, it would be nice. I don't expect anyone else in the lineup to OPS over .850 so it would be nice to look forward to at least 1 player who can galvanize this snooze feet of an offense we have. Our recent success has obviously been pitching and defense driven but I want to see our offense go on tear and if theres anyone that can do that, its Stanton. His BABIP is likely low because his line drives are down. But average is basically the least important stat for him. Though I don't mind the walks and HRs, I would love Stanton to put the ball in play more, especially in RISP situation, and not either swing for the fences or draw walks. Stanton is a very good player (don't get me wrong), but I just want to see more balls in play. That's why I kinda like Ozuna in RISP situations. Other than his terrible BB/K of course.
-
7/26 Post Game
Stanton has a 13.8% BB rate, that is 8th highest in all of Baseball for a minimum of 250 PA in 2013. Is he going to get much to hit when no is protecting him? He's going to press more, expand the zone and just get completely off track. He's said this himself recently, he's been overthinking it. He's still only 23 years old and adapting to a tough situation in a year where he's also had injuries. He's going to improve with some more experience of this situation and as threats (Yelich, LoMo) develop around him. His numbers will come back no matter what our resident experts think about his body language and, like Mrchainsaw said, some of them aren't that bad to begin with. Besides Stanton, I'm not sold on any other player in our lineup. I actually love our top prospects currently in the minors (Moran, Keys, Romero, Barnes, etc..) better than Yelich, Marisnick, Ozuna, Dietrich because they all seem to have good discipline at least while taking a walk and don't have to rely on a goofy BABIP as much to be effective. I'm tired of free swingers on this team. It's time to surround this group with a bunch of OBP guys with a good eye. Coghlan, Gaby and LoMo seem to be pretenders, but I hope our younger prospects don't turn out to be the same pretenders and actually have their plate discipline translate to the majors. You're trolling, right? If so, not a bad job. If not, LOLOL.Nothing I said there that seemed trollish.
-
7/26 Post Game
Stanton has a 13.8% BB rate, that is 8th highest in all of Baseball for a minimum of 250 PA in 2013. Is he going to get much to hit when no is protecting him? He's going to press more, expand the zone and just get completely off track. He's said this himself recently, he's been overthinking it. He's still only 23 years old and adapting to a tough situation in a year where he's also had injuries. He's going to improve with some more experience of this situation and as threats (Yelich, LoMo) develop around him. His numbers will come back no matter what our resident experts think about his body language and, like Mrchainsaw said, some of them aren't that bad to begin with. Besides Stanton, I'm not sold on any other player in our lineup. I actually love our top prospects currently in the minors (Moran, Keys, Romero, Barnes, etc..) better than Yelich, Marisnick, Ozuna, Dietrich because they all seem to have good discipline at least while taking a walk and don't have to rely on a goofy BABIP as much to be effective. I'm tired of free swingers on this team. It's time to surround this group with a bunch of OBP guys with a good eye. Coghlan, Gaby and LoMo seem to be pretenders, but I hope our younger prospects don't turn out to be the same pretenders and actually have their plate discipline translate to the majors.
-
7/26 Post Game
Our offense still sucks. Hope Stanton eventually turns the corner and gets his average up. Yes, because his average is the make-or-break factor for this team. Not his homers, slugging percent, OBP or OPS. Definitely Stanton's batting average is the difference between playoffs and..not playoffs.Not saying or implying AVG is deciding factor of the whole Marlins offense, just that Stanton sub par season has been a bit pedestrian probably b/c of the .300 BABIP, which is below average for a hitter like Stanton. If he can get his BABIP to around .330+ again, with the increased walk rate, it would be nice. I don't expect anyone else in the lineup to OPS over .850 so it would be nice to look forward to at least 1 player who can galvanize this snooze feet of an offense we have. Our recent success has obviously been pitching and defense driven but I want to see our offense go on tear and if theres anyone that can do that, its Stanton.
- 7/26 Post Game
- 7/26 Pirates @ Marlins
- 7/26 Pirates @ Marlins
-
7/25 Post Game
Brantly > Solano (in terms of potential). But, Brantly has looked real dismal this season, both offensively and defensively. Hence, why he's compared to Solano. Solano has no real potential. As others mentioned, look no further than a utility player as a contribution to this team future.
-
7/25 Post Game
Why don't the Marlins just move Barnes back to 2B? I think that's his most natural position. Not to mention he's not that great a backstop, even if they want to utilize his rocket arm there. I want my catcher to be at least very good defensively, even if his offense is alot left to be desired.
-
7/25 Post Game
I'm not sold on Barnes at all. Walk rate is nice, but walk rate can't be the only skill in a player. He has absolutely no power. He has a .712 .OPS in A+ ball, and he's old for the level. He's also probably not catching every day because he might be bad back there, which is another reason why Brantly is now a backup catcher in the big leagues. As bad as Brantly is offensively, he's worse defensively. The fact that he's backing up Jeff Mathis on a rebuilding team says a lot about what the organization thinks about Rob Brantly these days. Also, thinking he would continue what he did last year was rather foolish so I hope that that wasn't the reason for not acquiring D'Arnaud (to be fair, I don't know if D'Arnaud is going to be a catcher long-term, anyway). Mathis has been darn good on defense this season, though. And he's been hitting the ball lately. Defense is alot more importanat at the catcher position than offense. Mathis has been absolutely stellar defensively.
-
7/25 Post Game
What guys like Stanton, Brantly, Hech, Yelich, Marisnick, and Morrison do is worth watching. Most have question marks. But what they do and if they improve matters. What guys like Dobbs, Mathis, Solano, Ruggiano, and Lucas do, however, is of little consequence because they have no future on this team. Solano is underrated.
-
Article: The Marlins Are At It Again
Should you not do your best today because you'll have a better chance tomorrow? Really your analogy is pointless. To be honest, I don't care to debate it either way. How is it pointless to look to the future than being short sighted? Everyone else is correct. This move is all about the front office trying to save face. It's a terrible baseball decision. Also, when Jose Fernandez blows out his arm by age 26, you will then realize how stupid it is for him to pitch this year. Just like it was stupid for Kershaw to pitch at 20, or for King Felix to pitch at 19. Look at them now. They sure look overworked