How the hell did Jeter win web gem of the year?

Accord

How the hell did Jeter win the "web gem of the year" at shortstop, let alone web gem of the year PERIOD? His catch was just a routine running catch and his momentum carried him into the stands, now i'm not saying it was a bad play or anything but it certainly does not warrant being the absolute best defensive play of the year, that's just ridiculous. Of all the sick plays by Jim Edmonds, Seabass, Scott Rolen, O-Dog, Vlad, Furcal's triple play, etc. etc. etc. etc. Jeter's stupid catch wins the web gem of the year? Absurd. If any other player made that same play, it probably wouldn't even have been a nominee.

:thumbdown Derek Jeter :thumbdown

Jeter's play doesn't even belong in the top 20 this year, not even close.

I'm not sure how a running catch that causes you to go "flying into the stands" because you were too ignorant to slide to a stop is great, but that's ESPN and the Derek Jeter loving, east coast biased media for you.

It was a great catch and showed he has no fear. Whether you want to acknowledge the dive into the stands or not -- I don't see any of those other players taking a dive into the stands for their team.

And no, he could not slide in that situation, because he was already too close to the ball when he caught it and if he slid as he was catching it he might've not made the catch.

Watch it a few more times and notice it was a spectacular play and he didn't overdo anything.

A player with better range and reaction time turns that into a routine play.

599417[/snapback]

If you want to argue whether or not he needed to slide (which he obviously didn't) that's fine, but you can't argue this point.

If Jeter wasn't a below average defender with below average range and poor reaction time, that's a routine play.

A player with better range and reaction time turns that into a routine play.

599417[/snapback]

But could have Derek Jeter made that play any easier?

If Jeter wasn't a below average defender with below average range and poor reaction time, that's a routine play.

599422[/snapback]

So if we say that, doesn't that mean he has to find ways to make up for what he lacks in those areas? Doesn't really take away from the caliber of the play in my opinion.

I am really getting a kick out of how so many of you who've posted reiterates (spelling) the play by play of the catch.... it was enough the first week when he did it, where we had a big thread about it. We all saw the play, we know what he did, you don't need to say anything more. First off, Pokey's play was not nearly as good because he didn't dive, and he really didn't even need to go over the short wall. Freel's play he didn't even catch the ball. I think that if any SS on "your" team made the EXACT play, you'd be defending him too. Lastly, it's not just the physical play that he made that earned him the award... you have to, have to, have to think about how crucial that game was, a possible sweep for the yanks over the sox, extra innings... that was a big play.

blah blah blah.

Edmonds catch vs the Astros was 50 times better.

Torri Hunter makes that catch 3 times a game, just doesn't fall into the stands afterwards.

The dive into the crowd had nothing to do with the catch. The catch was made in fair territory. It took him like six more steps to get to the wall. blah blah blah.

He has so much courage, any other major league player would have let the ball fall in fair territory just because there would be a chance they would fall into the crowd 3 seconds later.

That was a very good catch, but I agree, not web gem of the year. Hell, the Edmonds catch in game 7 of the NLCS deserves to be up there, simply because of what was on the line with the catch, and the ground he had to cover.

Besides, you guys are ragging on the wrong Jeter play, "the play" is vastly more overrated...it's as much Giambi's fault he didn't slide, not to mention the fact that Jeter was out of position on that cut. However, the catch in the ALDS when he fell into the stands was phenomenal.

:mad : There is no way that should ever have been web gem of the year...I wouldnt even have given it web gem of the night..and not just because I hate Jeter. The play really wasnt all that impressive to me. He caught a ball...and he momentum took him into the stands...it wasnt like he caught it WHILE diving into the stands. If he wouldve done that I wouldve been impressed. That play was overrated. I saw Gonzo make so many different plays that I thought were better than that one.

:mad : There is no way that should ever have been web gem of the year...I wouldnt even have given it web gem of the night..and not just because I hate Jeter.

600290[/snapback]

There is all you hater's problem. You hate the guy and therefore, discredit anything he does. Get over yourselves and try to be objective. If he was standing under the ball, then yea, easy play. But he hustled all the way over and decided to sacrifice his body to catch a foul ball to help his team out, which is something that Sosa, Bonds nor Manny would ever do.

Also understand that this is a subjective list and just the opinions of the guys at ESPN, so it's by no means "scientific" and obviously people will disagree but give the guy his due even if you hate him for some dumb reason.