Cubs sign Chad Fox

Iowa

mlb.com

The Chicago Cubs today agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher CHAD FOX on a one-year minor league contract for the 2005 season. Fox will join the club in spring training as a non-roster invitee.

Fox, 34, has seen major league action with Atlanta (1997), Milwaukee (1998-2002), Boston (2003) and Florida (2003-2004). The right-handed reliever has gone 10-11 in his 203 major league relief appearances with a 3.45 ERA (83 ER/216.1 IP).

Fox held opponents to a .225 average last year with the Marlins, surrendering just 9 hits and 1 home run while striking out 17 batters.

He also saw significant time with the Florida club in 2003, going 2-1 with a 2.13 ERA (6 ER/25.1 IP).

Fox had his strongest season in 2001 with the Brewers when he appeared in 65 games, going 5-2 with 2 saves and a 1.89 ERA (14 ER/66.2 IP).

What the.......

I thought Chad Fox would have re-signed with the Marlins. He was always talking about how greatful he was to the Marlins organization for giving him a chance.... Oh well... I wish him nothing but the best (except when he pitches against the Giants or Marlins).

What a bummer,

I thought for sure Chad would be invited to Jupiter ST and, at the very least, offered a minor contract to get his arm back in shape.

There must have been negotiations. Is our FO so cocky about our bull-pen prospects or did Chad's agent sniff out the bucks?

Hate to lose a warrior. And a man of character.

We should have given him a chance.

What a bummer,

I thought for sure Chad would be invited to Jupiter ST and, at the very least, offered a minor contract to get his arm back in shape.

There must have been negotiations. Is our FO so cocky about our bull-pen prospects or did Chad's agent sniff out the bucks?

Hate to lose a warrior. And a man of character.

We should have given him a chance.

656212[/snapback]

Totally agreed. :confused

Damn i wanted this guy back on our team,this one is going to come back and bite us in the a**...i guess the FO really beleives in our bullpen..

656232[/snapback]

Sure there is risk his arm isn't recovered. But why not take a flyer on a minor league deal? There must have been more to it.

But there was a guy who could pitch out of a jam, time and time again.

We will miss him.

Good luck Chad.

Save your best stuff for May, Chad, so you can come back to the Marlins.

The Marlins had two options with Fox, either sign him at no less than 20% of his 2004 contract (pretty big gamble for a guy that may never pitch for you) or wait until May to sign him to a minor league contract.