Damn our bullpen is deep now

vinivedivichi

Mota, so far at least, has been our setup man. He's done a pretty good job so far since coming of the DL, and can be downright dominant at times.

Todd Jones at closer, enough said.

Alfonseca setup/7th if needed.

Mecir late in close games

Villone looked damn good tonight, we can use him in close games

Vargas can be used for 2 or 3 innings to relieve Moe or Valdez if needed.

That's a lot of arms we can depend on in the bullpen, especially considering that not long ago we were down to Jones and mecir. Bullpen is all of a sudden a strength for us.

Great job by the bullpen... So-So Taguchi couldn't have thrown that ball out there more perfectly.. if that thing doesn't squeek by, Alf has himself the probability of a good inning.

I like the bullpen though.. looks like a definite strength when it was such a weakness a while back.

Always been good. It's the guy who has been calling the shots that had been the problem.

884678[/snapback]

Im sorry, but Travis Smith, Jim Crowell, Randy Messenger, John Reidling, and Chris Resop are not in the same category as Alfonseca, Vargas, Villone, and Mota. Jack has not suddenly improved his use of the bullpen mid-season, the guys out there are flat out better and more experienced.

Always been good. It's the guy who has been calling the shots that had been the problem.

884678[/snapback]

your wrong. i'm sorry....

Travis Smith

Jim Crowell

Matt Perisho

Nate Bump

Randy Messanger

Guillermo Mota

now i realize that mota had been injured but has pitched better as of late and messanger is a rookie as well as travis smith, but experience is the most important thing in the bullpen, now of course these guys are young and they need to gain experience by playing but this team is built to play in the postseason, and you don't get to the post season with rookies and inconsistant players pitching in your bullpen. to say that it was jacks missuse of the bullpen that caused problems and whatnot is simply unacceptable and unfair.

I cant believe that just a week ago I was bringing out the Pepto Bismol when ever anyone in the pen was called in now all of a sudden when our starter leaves the game I sit and relax and relize that there is a great chance that no more runs will be scored against the Fish for the night.

I was watching ESPN because it was in HD and any chance I get to watch my Marlins in HD I gotta waatch. Surprisingly the announcers said a lot of good words about the Marlins and at one point they were both saying how deep and good our bullpen was now. It's great our bullpen went from our weakness to one of our strenghts. Now with Mikey swinging the bat better and when Delgado gets back I am really really excited to see what they can do if/when they click on all cylinders. Not to mention that I have renewed excitement about my road trip to Miller Park and Wrigley field at the end of the month to see the Marlins! :)

I was watching ESPN because it was in HD and any chance I get to watch my Marlins in HD I gotta waatch. Surprisingly the announcers said a lot of good words about the Marlins and at one point they were both saying how deep and good our bullpen was now. It's great our bullpen went from our weakness to one of our strenghts. Now with Mikey swinging the bat better and when Delgado gets back I am really really excited to see what they can do if/when they click on all cylinders. Not to mention that I have renewed excitement about my road trip to Miller Park and Wrigley field at the end of the month to see the Marlins! :)

884721[/snapback]

i miss my hdtv... can't wait to be back in syracuse in a few weeks to watch it....

this pen is shaping up so well. its nice to know we dont have to just rely on delgado and cabrera.... i cant wait to see delgado back. that bat could be huge.

I like this new look pen after getting Villone and now Alfonseca is activated... If our starter only goes 5 and the offense scores enough to get the win, this bullpen has the potential now to slam the door after 5...

Don't wanna see that every night though or it will wear the pen out, but the potential is there...

The pen was already tons better when Six-Fingers McGee came back from the DL, with everyone more or less going back to the roles they should be in. With a quality arm in Villone who's also extremely versatile (anything from a LOOGY to a long man) this is a very good group now. Anyone else feeling confidence in pretty much every aspect of the team now?

884678[/snapback]

Im sorry, but Travis Smith, Jim Crowell, Randy Messenger, John Reidling, and Chris Resop are not in the same category as Alfonseca, Vargas, Villone, and Mota. Jack has not suddenly improved his use of the bullpen mid-season, the guys out there are flat out better and more experienced.

884687[/snapback]

It's much better, but our top four always had equal talent than all but four teams out there (if you think differently, take a look at the league's rosters). Which should be enough if the manager is not dryhumping his relievers all game and holding back his second and third best arms in a critical spot.

It's definately made a turnaround in the last month or two. From our weakest point, the bullpen should now be very reliable.

885002[/snapback]

Definatly tonight was a perfect example, we were able to keep the lead for 4 innings with our bullpen. A feat against the Cardinals which a week or 2 ago would probably not have been possible. Great to see things coming together. :thumbup

My heart still skips a beat when I see de los Santos warming up.

884877[/snapback]

I love how noone brings him up until the 18th reply

and at the beginning of the season the Twins and us easily had the best bullpens until I believe the beginning of May, now we're healthy again with a few additions

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.