I Wonder who we signed

buccanes

from miami herald article

Beinfest still hoping to get Jones to sign

If closer Todd Jones does not come back, the Marlins likely will pursue a deal with Guillermo Mota.

BY KEVIN BAXTER

kbaxter@herald.com

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest spoke Wednesday with Alan Hendricks, the representative for free agent Todd Jones, and said he wasn't giving up on efforts to bring the closer back.

''He's an interesting free agent,'' Beinfest said of Jones, who is looking for a two-year deal and a raise from the $1.1 million he earned last year when he saved 40 games. ``Obviously, Todd stepped up.''

The bullpen is an area the Marlins will be concentrating on this winter, and if Jones -- who has expressed a desire to sign with the Atlanta Braves -- does not come back, Beinfest indicated he likely will pursue a deal with Guillermo Mota, who is eligible for arbitration after an injury-plagued season in which he made $2.6 million.

''We still think Guillermo can [close],'' he said. ``He never really got that chance because of the injury, and then Todd took the job and never looked back.''

Beinfest said the Marlins also had four ''sit-down'' visits with other clubs at baseball's annual general managers meeting as well as a number of informal chats either by phone or in the hallways at the Hyatt Grand Champions Resort & Spa.

More conversations were scheduled for Wednesday night, including a phone conference with New York Mets GM Omar Minaya.

''We talked about some hard ideas with some specific players,'' said Beinfest, who added no deals were imminent.

One of the teams on the Marlins' dance card Wednesday was the Seattle Mariners, who already had expressed an interest in first baseman Carlos Delgado. The slugger, who wants to stay in Florida, held a conference call with reporters Tuesday in which he expressed disappointment that the team continues to entertain trade offers for him.

The Baltimore Orioles also are interested in Delgado and are among the few teams that can afford the three years and $48 million remaining on his contract. In the past three months, the team unloaded Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro, clearing nearly $13 million, and could save another $10 million in they win their grievance against pitcher Sidney Ponson.

In addition, two reports put the Marlins in the middle of preliminary discussions on a multiteam trade that is said to involve the Chicago Cubs' Corey Patterson and Florida's Juan Pierre.

The Marlins also said they have reached agreement with at least two minor free agents but would not release the players' names.

SUPPORT FOR STADIUM

In a meeting with reporters, commissioner Bud Selig reiterated his support of efforts to get the Marlins a new stadium in South Florida.

''They're struggling, and hopefully they're going to get something done,'' Selig said. ``They need a new ballpark.''

In July, Selig said the Marlins couldn't remain competitive without the revenue streams a new stadium would produce -- words that have proven prophetic now that the team appears ready to trim payroll following the collapse of its most recent stadium deal.

Talks between the team and city and county officials over a retractable roof stadium halted when construction-cost estimates ballooned nearly $70 million, to about a half-billion dollars, and no new talks are scheduled.

? Former Marlin Matt Perisho agreed to terms with the New York Mets on a split minor league, major-league contract that includes an invitation to big-league spring training in February. The left-hander went 2-0 with a 2.57 ERA in 25 games with Florida and the Boston Red Sox last season.

wonder who they are

A trade that brings in Milton Bradley would be welcoming to me...I think he'd fit well, espicially with Dook and Mota here.

Plus, I dont consider Easley a minor free agent, for what he has done for the team the last 2 seasons(what I am trying to say is, I doubt the media considers Easley a minor free agent to us).

A trade that brings in Milton Bradley would be welcoming to me...I think he'd fit well, espicially with Dook and Mota here.

Plus, I dont consider Easley a minor free agent, for what he has done for the team the last 2 seasons(what I am trying to say is, I doubt the media considers Easley a minor free agent to us).

So anyway, I heard that the Marlins were in discussion with Easley, a minor free agent...Let's see what happens.

Just stating my opinion Lefty, I dont consider Easley minor. I consider someone like Ben Howard or Josais Manzanillo minor(and I wouldn't mind having Manzanillo back).

Manzy..... mabye if the Marlins were a traveling circus and not a baseball team :lol .

But in all seriousness, i'd like to have him back. He was pretty solid up until the game where he gave up the grand salami in Lo Duca's debut, after that it was downhill.

Corey Patterson - No thank you. Just look at geemoney's post and that's the reason why. Pierre had on off year, but nothing close to Patterson's off year. Don't you all think that the Cubs fans are drooling at the possibility of getting JP for Patterson?

Milton Bradley - No thanks.. he's a jackass and can take his attitude elsewhere.

I still don't get why everyone is so down on JP. He had a bad year, but was not the sole reason we didn't reach the postseason.. I, for one, like to be loyal to players. He has played his arse off for us... I even have a JP bobblehead here at work.. I don't want to have to get rid of it...

I want to see Niner and JP back in teal next season...

In addition, two reports put the Marlins in the middle of preliminary discussions on a multiteam trade that is said to involve the Chicago Cubs' Corey Patterson and Florida's Juan Pierre.

I like this part of the article.

Me too.

You like what? Getting Patterson for Pierre? You gotta be kidding me. Unless we are getting pitching prospects or something of that sort, which I doubt, I don't see how this trade can be "liked" by anyone. Please explain to me what we gain from it.

If Rich Hill was included with Corey Patterson, I'd definitely take that.

Patterson needs to get out of Chicago. That guy gets booed even when he gets a hit. I think a change of scenery would do him wonders. His defense and arm would be great for PPS plus could add some power to our lineup.

Rich Hill is gonna be good. His curveball rivals Barry Zito's.

There have been reports on the Score of Felix Pie for Juan Pierre.. If we could get Jerome Williams or Glendon Rusch included in a trade with Pie, I'd take that too.

It's too bad we can't get rid of JP, re-sign Enc to play CF and sign Nomar/Furcal to play SS. A lineup of Luis, Nomar/Furcal, Cabrera, Delgado, Hermida, Enc, Lowell, LoDuca would be lovely. /end dreaming

I like this part of the article.

Me too.

Patterson SO to much not to mention his defence at CF is no better then Juan's, atleast Juan can steal bases and distract that pitcher when on base, he just had an off year. I am willing to keep Juan

Patterson SO to much not to mention his defence at CF is no better then Juan's, atleast Juan can steal bases and distract that pitcher when on base, he just had an off year. I am willing to keep Juan

His defense is just as good as JP's and he has a much better arm, which would be nice in our stadium. Patterson is just as fast as JP is too, if not faster, fwiw.

And we have to realize Patterson is NOT a leadoff hitter and Patterson has to realize hes not a 50 HR hitter. Definitely can be a 30/30 guy though but with high strikeout totals but great speed and defense out of the #6 spot (imo)

Just get him out of Chicago and he'll shine, imo. The kid gets booed tying his shoes.

Am I the only one who found this quote to be the most interesting thing in the entire article, since it is from the horse's ass...err, mouth ;) :

''We still think Guillermo can [close],'' he said. ``He never really got that chance because of the injury

. Looks like Mota won't be non-tendered, which was to me one of the bigger questions of the off-season, given it's implications to both our payroll and bullpen.