December 2, 200520 yr This is what I Think. Luis Castillo - 2B - Twins The Marlins have reportedly traded Luis Castillo to the Twins for pitchers Travis Bowyer and Scott Tyler. The Twins will pick up the $5 million owed to him in 2006 and either $5.75 million in 2007 or a $500,000 buyout. If the Marlins really had four teams interested, it's disappointing they couldn't do better than this. Bowyer is quite a relief prospect, but he's still a relief prospect. Tyler wasn't one of the Twins' top young arms. Dec Im very dissapointed in that second prospect we got. I have no doubt in my mind that this was more of a salary dump than anything.
December 2, 200520 yr bad day in marlins history. the guy really personified the fish style of play after the 1997 title. tough loss.
December 2, 200520 yr Wow, I can't believe it. Well, thats it. This team has traded the final link to the past.
December 2, 200520 yr I've been trying to be reasonable and understanding up to this point, but I cant hold it any longer Im getting really angry!!!
December 2, 200520 yr This is pathetic. I hate Loria. He's been a destructive force everywhere he's been.
December 2, 200520 yr Keith Olberman just said a Marlin official said Luis Castillo gave up on the season and wasn't injured. That would explain some of his defensive "lapses", but I don't buy it. Although that clubhouse must have been hell. One of the calmest guys in the team, Niner, doesn't even want to come back. Its hard to play for a front office you despise. Just makin' it up as you go along huh? What Conine said was he is in a quandry... to be given a chance to place everyday... to play part-time for a contending team... to live near home and finish as a Marlin. Those are the questions he's pondering. He has never said he didn't want to come back. Liar.
December 2, 200520 yr So Tyler's basically not very highly regarded, and Bowyer has one pitch. Sigh.... our last original Marlin. Thanks for the memories Luis.... Hope that's one hell of a fastball you got there Bowyer. We could use a good 1-2 punch in the back of the pen if he & Resop turn out well.
December 2, 200520 yr f*** man. This was my man. This is the guy who didn't say anything, didn't cause any trouble, just went out there and played his hardest. I really was trying to put a positive spin on all these trades but now it's over. I mean we got rid of Lowell who stopped hitting but was great on defense - OK we can probably substitute that. Beckett who was a injury prone - only 15 wins or so - OK. Delgado - Really can't put a positive spin on that one. Damn. Castillo? Damn. You know what they're doing? They are packing up for a MOVE!!! Making people lose interest fast will justify the move. Enjoy your Marlins while they are around cause it's gonna be a long time before I can buy them and move them back to town. Prediction Florida Marlins 2006 43 - 119 Florida Marlins 2007 32 - 130 Las Vegas Gamblers 2008 75 - 87
December 2, 200520 yr Prediction Florida Marlins 2006 43 - 119 Florida Marlins 2007 32 - 130 Las Vegas Gamblers 2008 75 - 87 Come on. Even if you want to be pessimistic about the team why would they regress in 2007?
December 3, 200520 yr f*** man. This was my man. This is the guy who didn't say anything, didn't cause any trouble, just went out there and played his hardest. I really was trying to put a positive spin on all these trades but now it's over. I mean we got rid of Lowell who stopped hitting but was great on defense - OK we can probably substitute that. Beckett who was a injury prone - only 15 wins or so - OK. Delgado - Really can't put a positive spin on that one. Damn. Castillo? Damn. You know what they're doing? They are packing up for a MOVE!!! Making people lose interest fast will justify the move. Enjoy your Marlins while they are around cause it's gonna be a long time before I can buy them and move them back to town. Prediction Florida Marlins 2006 43 - 119 Florida Marlins 2007 32 - 130 Las Vegas Gamblers 2008 75 - 87 Is going 32 - 130 even possible?
December 3, 200520 yr Twins/Indians- July 21-23 I know where I will be.. At the JAKE watching my Little Luis :woot
December 3, 200520 yr AFter reading the BA article, this trade just gets worse and worse... Yorkis Perez was a former reliever that all he could do was groove fastballs, where is he now?...Tyler sounds like a waste... I don't know why they didnt wait until Winter Meetings or hold Luis until July when teams will deal almost anyone to stock up for playoffs... Marlins took a power dump on this deal... I have never been so angry like this as a Marlins fan until today...
December 3, 200520 yr This one hurts the most. I trust Benifest and Loria, but did payroll really need to go any lower? C'est la vie.
December 3, 200520 yr Wow. This one is painful. As long as we got value back I could understand. The Twins really took us to the cleaners on this one. I see absolutely no reason why Beinfest had to pull the trigger so fast on this deal. The pot would have grown had he waited longer. What a shame. This one really hurts.
December 3, 200520 yr though I also believe the market value on luis was much much higher, I find it pretty hard to believe that beinfest would get jobbed this badly. There must've been a lot of concerns over his health, declining speed, just lack of positive public perception or something, cause there was definitely not as much of a market as one would think
December 3, 200520 yr I love Castillo he's been a great player for us, but realistically he has been on the decline due to his hip problems, I think it was the right thing to do to trade him now...if you are going to rebuild, rebuild all the way. And frankly, I'm excited about this young team, very promising. I'm more worried about keeping the Marlins in SFL than the firesale.
December 3, 200520 yr It hurts worse more as it sinks in...we really got jobbed on this one, and it makes no sense for the Marlins in any way shape or form.
December 3, 200520 yr this deal makes me nervous that maybe the yankees/pierre one may have more teeth than i would of reasonably thought......... with any luck luis will be able to play in this proposed gem or if the twins get screwed out of their stadium, maybe luis will be back in Miami playing for the Florida Twins .............
December 3, 200520 yr I love Castillo he's been a great player for us, but realistically he has been on the decline due to his hip problems, I think it was the right thing to do to trade him now...if you are going to rebuild, rebuild all the way. And frankly, I'm excited about this young team, very promising. I'm more worried about keeping the Marlins in SFL than the firesale. I believe there was real value in keeping Castillo, at least for the first 1/2 of the season. I realize there may be more than we know regarding his physical condition....and this could have been the determining factor. It just seems Beinfest should have found greater value and should have waited longer before pulling the trigger on this one. There is a shortage of quality 2nd basemen on the market this year and I would have preferred to see a stud infield prospect come back our way in a trade. But you never know, Beinfest may still flip one or more of our stud pitching prospects to fill our other needs. It may be more expedient to work it this way than try to put together a 3-way deal.
December 3, 200520 yr If he had to be traded in the offseason, the winter meetings should have been used to create a bidding war between the Cards, Mets, Twins and perhaps Yankees (if they feel that Cano is needed to pry Hunter from the Twins). If this was just Beinfest deciding he's underperforming his contract, he's a moron, and if this is Beinfest thinking he got equal value...he's a moron. Castillo should have been the one veteran hold-over considering he is a professional in every sense of the word, and if he had to go, it shouldn't have been a shot in the dark like this. My love for Castillo may cloud my judgement on this since I don't think he should have been traded, but I'm pretty confident when I say that just about every GM in baseball is probably looking at this and saying "that's all it took?"
December 3, 200520 yr If he had to be traded in the offseason, the winter meetings should have been used to create a bidding war between the Cards, Mets, Twins and perhaps Yankees (if they feel that Cano is needed to pry Hunter from the Twins). If this was just Beinfest deciding he's underperforming his contract, he's a moron, and if this is Beinfest thinking he got equal value...he's a moron. Castillo should have been the one veteran hold-over considering he is a professional in every sense of the word, and if he had to go, it shouldn't have been a shot in the dark like this. My love for Castillo may cloud my judgement on this since I don't think he should have been traded, but I'm pretty confident when I say that just about every GM in baseball is probably looking at this and saying "that's all it took?" I agree with you on this one Swifty. It really looks like Beinfest jumped the gun. But I suppose time will tell how good any of these trades will turn out for the fish.
December 3, 200520 yr AFter reading the BA article, this trade just gets worse and worse... Yorkis Perez was a former reliever that all he could do was groove fastballs, where is he now?...Tyler sounds like a waste... I don't know why they didnt wait until Winter Meetings or hold Luis until July when teams will deal almost anyone to stock up for playoffs... Marlins took a power dump on this deal... I have never been so angry like this as a Marlins fan until today... I know, I've had this sick to my stomach feeling all day about this, not only is it a terrible loss but we got some mid-level prospects in return. I feel bad for Luis too, Minn. is an awful fit for him, to think his career will probably end there while he has been so loyal to us and never caused any trouble. What a waste.
December 3, 200520 yr My stomach has hurt all day too...and nautious... If JP or LoDuca goes it better be a whopper to make up for this one
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.