Scott Olsen quotes

Ramp

"With Dontrelle being gone, someone has to do it. Whoever it is, obviously, it will be well deserving. But I'm not going to sit here and beat around the bush. I want to start on Opening Day. It's just going to come down to how I pitch in Spring Training, and the shape I show up in, and the shape the other guys show up in. It will come down to the competition to see who gets it."

"That's over, that's in the past and over with," Olsen said about the fallout from the arrest. "On the field-wise, I was throwing a lot of balls, and I was walking a lot of people. I watched a couple of game-tapes, scouting people. You'd see, I'd get two quick outs on nine or 10 pitches, and then the inning turned into 28-30 pitch inning after two outs and nobody on base."

"I think if you are the Opening Day starter, and you replace that No. 1 guy, there might be some more people looking up to you, and more people wanting you to be that guy who steps up every time out," he said. "We knew [Willis] was going to be the Opening Day starter, but at the same time, he was still like, 'Something might happen. I might have a 10-and-a-half ERA in Spring Training. Make sure you go for it, strive to do it. Give your best each day. Even if a position is set and locked, you still have got to go out and do your best.' "

"[Willis] always used to say that he didn't like guys, who when they were winning, they are in the clubhouse, and they're happy," Olsen said. "Then when they are losing, they are down. You've got to be the same guy every day. He was really good about that, to maintain your composure every day, whether you win or lose."

"It can't get any worse than that, with all the stuff that happened last year," he said. "All the bad, I think it's made me probably stronger mentally and more able to handle everything that goes into this job.

"I'm looking forward to next year. It will be interesting, but it could be a lot of fun. I'll be 24 in Spring Training. You've got to grow up eventually."

Someone grew up... atleast verbally

Fredi just give Olsen the ball, He wants it, that counts for more than anything

Yeah, I want it too, not really sure that counts for more than anything.

Exactly.

To me, no one has more to prove to Marlins fan's than Olsen. He is so high up on my sh*t list it isn't even funny.

In addition to his felony arrest in 2007, we all had the pleasure of watching him meltdown like clockwork in the 4th inning in the majority of his starts.

Show us you're worthy of Opening Day instead of telling us you want the ball on Opening Day.

Gotta give Olsen credit. he has been busy this offseason. If you notice, it is Olsen who is out there in our community attending all events and showing up. A lot of players need to follow his lead.

As much as I hate what he did last year, I got to give him credit for his actions this offseason. Hopefully he put that much effort in staying fit and translates on to the field. Good job Scotty.

It's just hard to take his "words" sincerely when all he's been since he's come to the majors is a mouth. Honestly, how has he earned your respect to the point that you can take his comments seriously? It's nothing more than a PR move. I'm supposed to believe that Dontrelle Willis leaving this team is ultimately what screwed Olsen's head on straight?

No thanks, I'm not buying into it. I'll save his gold star and pat on the butt for the regular season.

Gotta give Olsen credit. he has been busy this offseason. If you notice, it is Olsen who is out there in our community attending all events and showing up. A lot of players need to follow his lead.

As much as I hate what he did last year, I got to give him credit for his actions this offseason. Hopefully he put that much effort in staying fit and translates on to the field. Good job Scotty.

He does live here. I was surprised that he wasn't at the Holiday Party the other night. Probably something else was on his schedule because he is very active in those type things. Was last year too. But Tank took the time to fly here from Alabam and Treanor took the time out from Misty's tour to be here.

I can't believe (and yet, I can) some of you are jumping on him for saying the right things

obviously it's on the field that counts the most, but it's nice to see him say these things

I'm with ya on this one. I have no problem giving the kid the benefit of the doubt. He seemed to be growing by little steps after that episode last year. He's got an off season program in place and obviously sticking to it. I'm going to stick by him unless he shows he still let's the things get into his head that he has no control over. I think Wiley is the difference maker in this whole thing. And a defense that dosen't let him down.

Don't shoot us for supporting the him. I am judging the kid on his actions rather than his words. He has been involved recently in almost everything the Marlins have been doing and I must acknowledge that. He's messed up in the past. No doubt. But I am judging him based on what he is doing rather than what he is saying. And this is strictly off the field stuff I'm talking about.

On the field and all the talk about wanting to be the staff ace is a different issue. I'm sure he's not the only one who wants to be the staff ace. Heck Scotty, get in line. I'm sure Mitre or Johnson or you pick a Marlin pitcher and I'm sure he's thinking the same thing. Difference is, Scotty is putting it out there so that people know his intentions. As to whether he can be it, I doubt it.

Nevertheless, props to Scotty for everything he's doing off the field. Go Marlins!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.