Marlins Built for 2009

Lets look at this one, Carlos Delgado, in 2004 he had arguably his worst season ever, batting .269

yet if u wanted to base his stats just on OPS, u could say he was outstanding because his OPS was nearly .900

His on-base was .372.

I find it funny that you used the most obsolete and overrated stat in baseball to show how OPS is overrated.

Lets look at this one, Carlos Delgado, in 2004 he had arguably his worst season ever, batting .269

yet if u wanted to base his stats just on OPS, u could say he was outstanding because his OPS was nearly .900

And batting .269 with a near .900 OPS is a pretty successful season.

Just because it was a bad year for Delgado, a potential HOFer, doesn't mean it was a bad year.

obviously, but when u account for SLG %, that just boosts a bad players #'s, such as a Mike Jacobs kind of player

Yeah, I do agree with you there. OPS is flawed, which is one reason I don't use it much anymore and show OPS SLG and OBP separately.

I also don't use EqA because I think it underrates SLG.

But to call OPS more overrated than...

Win-Loss

Batting Average

RBI

HR

Strikeouts (for a batter)

Strikeouts (arguably for a pitcher)

Arguably ERA

Stolen Bases

...s quite ridiculous.

Win-Loss I can agree, just look at comparing Lincicum and Brandon Webb's #'s, that can explain the reason it is overrated alone.

RBI i can agree because that is based on the guys in front of u getting on base, which makes OBP Much more valuable

K's for a batter are very important, especially when calculating with RISP

K's for a pitcher are overrated, just due to the fact that a ground ball pitcher can have just as much success aka Chris Volstad

His on-base was .372.

I find it funny that you used the most obsolete and overrated stat in baseball to show how OPS is overrated.

that has nothing to do with his ability has a hitter. I believe he was 2nd in the league behind Barry Bonds in intentional walks, and only got walks because pitchers were afraid to pitch to him. Not because of him getting a hit, but the home run factor

His on-base was .372.

that has nothing to do with his ability has a hitter. I believe he was 2nd in the league behind Barry Bonds in intentional walks, and only got walks because pitchers were afraid to pitch to him. Not because of him getting a hit, but the home run factor

You just said that OBP is the most important stat for a hitter.

BA is by far the worst stat in baseball. As Peter Gammons said, "Batting Average is obsolete."

I hate it that Hermida will have to be starter just because of all the hype that this front office gave him, even though he sucks. Damn man, just get rid of the man already, I'll take Willingham, if he gives us what he showed in the first 2 months of the season

He doesnt suck. He just had a bad year.

His on-base was .372.

You just said that OBP is the most important stat for a hitter.

BA is by far the worst stat in baseball. As Peter Gammons said, "Batting Average is obsolete."

if u don't get hits, ur BA does not increase, i don't see the insignificance of BA. I can see why OBP is more important though obviously

Yeah, I do agree with you there. OPS is flawed, which is one reason I don't use it much anymore and show OPS SLG and OBP separately.

I also don't use EqA because I think it underrates SLG.

But to call OPS more overrated than...

Win-Loss

Batting Average

RBI

HR

Strikeouts (for a batter)

Strikeouts (arguably for a pitcher)

Arguably ERA

Stolen Bases

...s quite ridiculous.

Win-Loss I can agree, just look at comparing Lincicum and Brandon Webb's #'s, that can explain the reason it is overrated alone.

RBI i can agree because that is based on the guys in front of u getting on base, which makes OBP Much more valuable

K's for a batter are very important, especially when calculating with RISP

K's for a pitcher are overrated, just due to the fact that a ground ball pitcher can have just as much success aka Chris Volstad

Wrong, strikeouts are vastly important for a pitcher... because there are only 3 things a pitcher has direct control of: Strikeouts, Walks and HRs allowed. Pitchers that K a lot of guys TEND to be better than guys that don't based on the defense around them. Guys like AJ Burnett K a lot but also give up a lot of walks and their share of HRs. Everything in context.

His on-base was .372.

Delgado got pitched around because of being a good hitter... a Home Run is a hit... that argument is weak. He was very solid despite the low BA and worth of the .900 OPS = very very good title

I hate it that Hermida will have to be starter just because of all the hype that this front office gave him, even though he sucks. Damn man, just get rid of the man already, I'll take Willingham, if he gives us what he showed in the first 2 months of the season

Bad year my a**, he has no desire for the game. He shows that every time he is on the field. I would rather see some other team deal with his a**

Hermida still needs time to grow. We need to stick with him for one more year IMO. Willingham can probably command something real decent on the trade market. I think he needs to be the one to go, especially with the season Ross had. I think Cody can be more successful next year full-time, and will be much more comfortable in left field.

Bad year my a**, he has no desire for the game. He shows that every time he is on the field. I would rather see some other team deal with his a**

Oh please... "he has no desire" if he had no desire he wouldn't be playing the game...

The he OPSs over .800 on the road... the second we send him to Chicago or something, he'll blow up and you'll all be complaining about why he didn't do it here... and the answer will be your own impatience

Hermida still needs time to grow. We need to stick with him for one more year IMO. Willingham can probably command something real decent on the trade market. I think he needs to be the one to go, especially with the season Ross had. I think Cody can be more successful next year full-time, and will be much more comfortable in left field.

Of course, we all know Cody is staying. I really don't see the trade value we could get for Willingham. Sure if he was healthy all year and kept up what he did in the first month and a half for an entire year then he would've commanded some trade value, but he has a history of back issues, and is nothing more than a short first baseman with minimal power at this point in his career

He sucks, huh? :whistle

I'd argue that it'd be a waste to have Cody's defense in left. I'd put him in right and Hermida in left. Yes, Hermida should be the better defensively in right but he doesn't show it. Cody has a strong enough arm to play right.

Oh please... "he has no desire" if he had no desire he wouldn't be playing the game...

The he OPSs over .800 on the road... the second we send him to Chicago or something, he'll blow up and you'll all be complaining about why he didn't do it here... and the answer will be your own impatience

Fine, but that will never happen on this team. Maybe a trade to another team would be the thing to spark Hermida, make him relize that he isn't just getting a free ride his entire career. I hope that message gets across to him next year after Fredi benched him, I just personally believe that has not happened

pitchers that K a lot of players tend to usually have more injuries in the future

You've forfeited the right to use words now... please stop

no, I have seen many power pitchers get injuries, its been rare to see a slow ball pitcher sustain many injuries

Of course, we all know Cody is staying. I really don't see the trade value we could get for Willingham. Sure if he was healthy all year and kept up what he did in the first month and a half for an entire year then he would've commanded some trade value, but he has a history of back issues, and is nothing more than a short first baseman with minimal power at this point in his career

As long as you get Willingham healthy, you literally know exactly what you're getting: .260+ avg, .360+ obp, 20+ HR, 90+ rbi.

That will ALWAYS be worth something. He has never missed significant time in his career until this season. That, mixed with the fact Herminda is five years younger and left-handed, is why I want him gone.