Marlins Built for 2009

Uggla will not be that easy to trade, not because the other teams may not want him but that the right trade will be very complicated to construct.

I disagree completely. Teams will be lining up. Teams like St. Louis, San Francisco, LAD, Cleveland, Minnesota, Washington, Seattle, even the Yankees as they are already trying to dish Cano for outfielders. It's not going to be hard to find 1 person interested in him and get a package back. A bad post, where he still had a .739 OPS which is a lot better than most teams, isn't counter-weighing the fact he has averaged 30 HR at 2B the last three years in a pitchers park. Some idiot like Sabean or Coletti will go for it.

Lou there will be at least 10 or 15 teams interested in Uggla, we agree on that entirely. Our disagreement lies in the fact that you feel this is gonna be a walk in the park for Beinfest. I believe it will be probably a most difficult project. I will clarify my point by saying that Uggla should not be traded for minor league prospects, We have a whole legion of those in every level. The team is ready to take a step forward and assert themselves in the NL, not just to make the playoffs but in pursuit of a championship. This trade will be a large move in that direction, however Beinfest will need to still manage a very limited process. We are then talking about a package of young, ready to perform players for Uggla. Not many teams are able to offer that, at least not to the level needed. What would it take? A package of maybe a reliever, power hitting outfielder and a minor leaguer. The reliever and outfielder will both have to fit in under the budget. Still think it will be easy to put together?

That's why if I'm Beinfest, my target is Markakis. He is exactly what this franchise is looking for, and I think if you dangled Uggla and Anibal Sanchez in front of their faces they may start listening, although it would probably take more than that to land him.

Uggla will not be that easy to trade, not because the other teams may not want him but that the right trade will be very complicated to construct.

I disagree completely. Teams will be lining up. Teams like St. Louis, San Francisco, LAD, Cleveland, Minnesota, Washington, Seattle, even the Yankees as they are already trying to dish Cano for outfielders. It's not going to be hard to find 1 person interested in him and get a package back. A bad post, where he still had a .739 OPS which is a lot better than most teams, isn't counter-weighing the fact he has averaged 30 HR at 2B the last three years in a pitchers park. Some idiot like Sabean or Coletti will go for it.

Lou there will be at least 10 or 15 teams interested in Uggla, we agree on that entirely. Our disagreement lies in the fact that you feel this is gonna be a walk in the park for Beinfest. I believe it will be probably a most difficult project. I will clarify my point by saying that Uggla should not be traded for minor league prospects, We have a whole legion of those in every level. The team is ready to take a step forward and assert themselves in the NL, not just to make the playoffs but in pursuit of a championship. This trade will be a large move in that direction, however Beinfest will need to still manage a very limited process. We are then talking about a package of young, ready to perform players for Uggla. Not many teams are able to offer that, at least not to the level needed. What would it take? A package of maybe a reliever, power hitting outfielder and a minor leaguer. The reliever and outfielder will both have to fit in under the budget. Still think it will be easy to put together?

That's why if I'm Beinfest, my target is Markakis. He is exactly what this franchise is looking for, and I think if you dangled Uggla and Anibal Sanchez in front of their faces they may start listening, although it would probably take more than that to land him.

Why would the Orioles deal Markakis?

but a Carlos Quentin typer turnaround is part of the rarity in baseball. We somehow expect Hermida to suddenly do what very few in baseball have done

Actually, the norm is to improve after age 24. Most players aren't even playing MLB every day at 24, even great ones. Hermida is producing numbers, in an apallingly bad LH hitters park, at age 24 that are much better than the norm for hitters of his age. His hitting profile compares nicely to many solid, and in some cases - great, hitters.

Why would the Orioles deal Markakis?

If you're Baltimore, and you can add Uggla, Jacobs, and Sanchez for Markakis...

What would you do?

If you're Baltimore, and you can add Uggla, Jacobs, and Sanchez for Markakis...

What would you do?

This isn't even close. I would keep Markakis, and hang up the phone very loudly. If I was on a cell phone and couldn't slam the phone, I would tell Beinfest hold on, find a rotary phone, call him back, and then yell NO, and then slam it very loud.

He's that good. It's not even worth discussing what would be needed to get him, because it's not an option.

I hate it that Hermida will have to be starter just because of all the hype that this front office gave him, even though he sucks. Damn man, just get rid of the man already, I'll take Willingham, if he gives us what he showed in the first 2 months of the season

He doesnt suck. He just had a bad year.

When has he had a good year ? :whistle

I should've clarified my post a little better...

I was mostly referring to the "built for 2009" phrase, if we were really looking at one season as a "20xx or bust!" year wouldn't it be more like 2011 or something when all our young bats in the sytem have joined a rotation that's hypothetically been locked up for a few years?

I mean Cogs, Hanley, Maybin, Gaby, Logan, Stanton, Hermida, etc, all with at least a year or so under their belts already would seem to be the perfect storm. I'm sure that's a huge hypothetical that they all wind up being good, but if we're being "built" for one season that's the one that would seem ideal.

But back to this team, I DO think it's a contending 2009 team if they field what MarlinsLou proposes. Hell, we were nearly a contending team this season for that matter.

I just don't want to count my chickens before their arbitration is hatched.

Yes it should be a no-brainer. I'm trying to keep my skepticism at bay.

All this debate over Coughlan.We should just swap him for another top prospect at another position.That way we get to keep Uggla while getting back an excellent prospect.

But then what do you do when Uggla prices himself completely off the team in 2010?

You keep Coghlan. If it's not 2009, it's 2010.

All this debate over Coughlan.We should just swap him for another top prospect at another position.That way we get to keep Uggla while getting back an excellent prospect.

But then what do you do when Uggla prices himself completely off the team in 2010?

Oh that is great thinking.The Marlins could afford Uggla and sign him to a contract if they wanted to.

And since when was Chris Coughlan the only second basemen in baseball?.I'll take the top prospect from a Coughlan trade (since we dont need him now) and if need be in 2011 or 2012, we can get another second baseman.Perhaps from a trade or previous draft.

Oh that is great thinking.The Marlins could afford Uggla and sign him to a contract if they wanted to.

And since when was Chris Coughlan the only second basemen in baseball?.I'll take the top prospect from a Coughlan trade (since we dont need him now) and if need be in 2011 or 2012, we can get another second baseman.Perhaps from a trade or previous draft.

This isn't a video game. You're not getting a top prospect for Chris Coghlan.

Uggla, on the other hand, has high value (possibly at its highest for Uggla now)...and the Marlins are a small market team. The primary money should be going to Hanley and starting pitching.

This isn't a video game. You're not getting a top prospect for Chris Coghlan.

Uggla, on the other hand, has high value (possibly at its highest for Uggla now)...and the Marlins are a small market team. The primary money should be going to Hanley and starting pitching.

Chris Coughlan would bring back a very very very good prospect from a team that needs a second baseman.

Thats not the point, the point is the Marlins can make an uber blockbuster trade with Uggla. I prefer to keep Uggla myself but that may not be realistic for the Marlins

Guys don't think for a second Coughlin is not a premier prospect, he is an incredible prospect who will be spraying hits all over the place. Just dont expect 30 homers from him year in year out, he won't strike out as much either

Chris Coughlan would bring back a very very very good prospect from a team that needs a second baseman.

Coghlan's not that great of a prospect to bring back a "very very very good prospect" in return. You must be thinking about another Chris Coghlan.

Guys don't think for a second Coughlin is not a premier prospect, he is an incredible prospect who will be spraying hits all over the place. Just dont expect 30 homers from him year in year out, he won't strike out as much either

Uh. Coghlan is a nice prospect, but he is no "premier" or "incredible" prospect by any stretch of the imagination.

Uh. Coghlan is a nice prospect, but he is no "premier" or "incredible" prospect by any stretch of the imagination.

He is just considered the 2nd best prospect of all minor league 2nd basemens. Dont have the link but it may have been by BA

[quote name='Eddie Altamonte' post='1747192' date='Oct 7

He is just considered the 2nd best prospect of all minor league 2nd basemens. Dont have the link but it may have been by BA

That is true, but is more of a reflection of the current lack of 2B talent in the minors versus being a really premium one. Coghlan doesn't project to be a world beater, just a solid pro. He won't hit a lot of HR as he really only has gap power and is moderate defensively. There is no doubt his BB/K is amazing, and this should translate pretty easily to the bigs, but expecting anything more than .300/.350/.425 overall will be a nice bonus. It's unlikely he turns into Pedroia unless a lot of things go right.

That's not a world beater, just a solid starting player.

Coghlan's not that great of a prospect to bring back a "very very very good prospect" in return. You must be thinking about another Chris Coghlan.

Yeah your right Chris Coughlan wouldn't give us anything.They will give us a C prospect and it would just be one big lopsided trade for the other team.

Your argument is very weak.