Admin Beinfest: "Let's face it, Dominguez is coming"

dim

http://miamiherald.t...l#ixzz11KOxeu9y

Here's the entire conversation with Beinfest.

Just had our annual, end-of-season sit-down with president of baseball operations Admin Beinfest. Some of the highlights from the 30-minute season debriefing: -- Beinfest said it was apparent even before the rash of injuries toward the end of the season that the Marlins weren't a playoff-caliber team. Said Beinfest: "We never won a bunch in a row. Never lost a bunch in a row. Never really got it going. I think a lot of people will focus on the last six weeks and the injuries and say, maybe that's why. But when you look back on it in total, we never really got it going. It was never sustained winning. We never really made a big push. Even when you look at the most basic things, where we rank in batting average and ERA, we're just in the middle of the pack. And that's where we ended up. We ended up in the middle of the pack, right around .500."

-- Beinfest said the offseason would be spent trying to improve the bullpen: "We definitely need to upgrade the bullpen. There needs to be more depth. There needs to be more quality. There needs to be more balance in terms of left/right. From my perspective, I think one of the greatest challenges for this organization is putting together a bullpen. It's probably one of our greater challenges."

-- On catching: "I think (Brett) Hayes and (Brad) Davis have done a really nice job in September. Obviously we need John Baker back. We need (Ronny) Paulino unsuspended. We're going to have to fortify the catching."

-- On defense: "We still did not make the strides defensively. So now we have to spend the offseason saying: Are these people going to continue to get better? Was it good enough? Or was it actually the personnel? Are we going to have to change out some of the personnel to improve the defense to get it to the level that we need?"

-- On the third-base situation, with Chris Coghlan penciled in for that position: "Let's face it, Matt Dominguez is coming. He played very well in the second half. Defensively he is well above average. We know Chris can play the outfield if something happens in the offseason that we want to make some changes. We know he can go back out there. As of today, we'll start hitting some ground balls when he's healthy and getting him ready."

-- On the timetable for naming a permanent manager: "As quickly as possible I think would be the organization's preference, to have the manager and coaching staff in place. We met with all the coaches, explained the situation to them. Our pitching coach, Randy St. Claire, is under contract for this year so he will be back. The other coaches....will be considered." Beinfest said he has not yet asked other teams for permission to speak with prospective candidates.

-- On the performance of Hanley Ramirez: "You can ask him, but coming from .342 to where he is today, he's going to finish at .300, I think we ask a lot of Hanley. I think we have high expectations only because of his talent. Hanley, his arm's bothered him for a good part of the year and he hung in there. Did he hit .342? No. I think he is going to be an elite player for a long time, whether that means he's going to be somewhere between .300 and .342, that's how we judge him, I don't know. He will probably tell you at times he had down times that he wasn't accustomed to. But that happens in this game. I think sometimes we lose some appreciation for it, the impact of the player in total, the way he can run, the way he can command a game. At times he can just take over because of his talent."

The quote that stuck out to me was the Dominguez one. I like Dominguez's future, but he really shouldn't be up until September next year unless he goes on a Stanton like tear early in the year, which is unlikely. Let's just hope we aren't rushing him.

I'd rather trade Gaby than LoMo. LoMo would get us a higher return but it makes our lineup much less balanced. He's a lefty (although his splits are like a righty's) and he's younger, got more upside and is overall a more dynamic player than Gaby. I'd be really disappointed if we let that go for anything. I like Gaby and I don't want to trade him, but if one has to go then it has to be him. LoMo would be shifted to 1B, where he plays great defense, Dominguez gets 3B where he plays stellar defense and we stomach Coghlan at LF, where he isn't the absolute worst.

The more and more I think about it, Gaby makes much more sense from a defensive and offensive point of view. I guess it's just a matter of how much the Marlins value pitching.

I don't necessarily see anything in Beinfest's statement to indicate that Dominguez is in a stronger position than we already knew he was. He's now pretty much the only position prospect at our higher levels that hasn't seen the majors with Osvaldo being up (and doing pretty well too), and we know that the FO has to factor his inevitable call-up into their longterm decision making. It would be foolish not too.

I actually find it encouraging that the FO seems to indicate they may look to move talent and move Coghlan back to the OF. Though I'm not convinced that Dominguez will really be a factor, it would be beneficial to try and shore up an area of concern elsewhere through a trade.

I don't necessarily see anything in Beinfest's statement to indicate that Dominguez is in a stronger position than we already knew he was. He's now pretty much the only position prospect at our higher levels that hasn't seen the majors with Osvaldo being up (and doing pretty well too), and we know that the FO has to factor his inevitable call-up into their longterm decision making. It would be foolish not too.

I actually find it encouraging that the FO seems to indicate they may look to move talent and move Coghlan back to the OF. Though I'm not convinced that Dominguez will really be a factor, it would be beneficial to try and shore up an area of concern elsewhere through a trade.

I agree with your assessment. To me it is more of a comment about Coghlan staying around----3rd base or outfield.

f*** I really don't want Dominguez up so soon!

Gaby is most liekly gone since LoMo is younger, seemingly can put up better numbers and now can play both 1st and LF.

Gaby and Leo for a starting pitcher?

Leo bringing you much?? Sorry I don't have a lot of confidence there. True, he knows how throw hard, but he doesn't know how to listen. He lost his position because he only wanted to do it his way

f*** I really don't want Dominguez up so soon!

Gaby is most liekly gone since LoMo is younger, seemingly can put up better numbers and now can play both 1st and LF.

Gaby and Leo for a starting pitcher?

Leo bringing you much?? Sorry I don't have a lot of confidence there. True, he knows how throw hard, but he doesn't know how to listen. He lost his position because he only wanted to do it his way

Bold Statement.

Most of the time it was Ronnie who told him to throw the changeup, he just didn't execute it at times and let it hanging.

I really don't think Dominguez will be ready to take over 3B yet. However, if we stick them there just for his glove then I really believe that Gaby will be gone and LoMo goes to 1B and Cogs back to LF.

C: Baker/Davis/whomever

1B: Morrison

2B: Uggla

3B: Dominguez

SS: Hanley

LF: Coghlan

CF: Maybin

RF: Stanton

Yes please.

as a matter of fact, i think this domiguez thing may signal the end of the line for cameron maybin.

if jayson werth can play center field, mike stanton can play center field.

however, as of right now i absolutely do not agree with morrison or stanton being traded. there is absolutely no point at all.

Noone has said anything about trading Stanton.

Also, we're not getting Werth.

Also also, I don't think you're right at all.

as a matter of fact, i think this domiguez thing may signal the end of the line for cameron maybin.

however, as of right now i absolutely do not agree with morrison or stanton being traded. there is absolutely no point at all.

I don't think he meant that we are getting Werth. He meant that if a guy like him can play CF, then so can Stanton.

sorry my bad i meant sanchez, not stanton.

there is no point to trade morrison or sanchez at all for someone who is literally a kid and has yet to show proven consistency.

He could but I doubt he does. Maybin will probably be the starter going into next season, probably batting 7th or 8th.

If Dominguez does start next opening day in the bigs, Uggla is just as likely to be moved as LoMo/Gaby IMO.

I was surprised no one brought this up until now. This is what I first thought of when I heard this. C'mon, everybody knows that Dominguez isn't really ready for opening day. This is just another Beinfest-move to not have to resign Uggla.

If Dominguez does start next opening day in the bigs, Uggla is just as likely to be moved as LoMo/Gaby IMO.

I was surprised no one brought this up until now. This is what I first thought of when I heard this. C'mon, everybody knows that Dominguez isn't really ready for opening day. This is just another Beinfest-move to not have to resign Uggla.

So you guys think that this means the Marlins won't be resigning Uggla? Tell me that's not true! Ugh, I want to look forward to 2011, not be depressed about it. If anything, trade Gaby but keep Uggla and Logan please.

I think it's great that they are considering Dominguez for next year.

He's a lot of better than any of the crap we had at 3B this year, and I think he'll be better (in terms of overall play; WAR) than Coghlan next year at 3B.

Dominguez has power that people seem to be underrating on here, and he should be a significant improvement, defensively. A big reason why our defense sucked so bad was because of 3B, as well. Take that into account.

I'd also love to trade 1 of Gaby/Logan/Uggla for the right price. There's no untouchable player on this team, except for Hanley, Stanton, and JJ.

I really like the quotes from Beinfest. I hope he sticks to his word.

He could but I doubt he does. Maybin will probably be the starter going into next season, probably batting 7th or 8th.

This is a gut reaction and may make no sense when it comes to positions, but I would rather trade Maybin and leave Gaby, Lomo, Cogs, Stanton & Uggz alone. Sorry but I don't see all the love for Maybin. For supposedly all the upside Maybin was suppose to bring, I'm meh.

I don't think they'll be trading Uggla. It's gotten to a point where he's a huge part of our team and trading him won't exactly bring excitement around the franchise. Not to mention the fact that there's no one in our system that is projected to match his production in the future, so we'd be severely weakening our lineup for years to come. The only way to replace that production is to sign a free agent that'll probably cost us more than him. If the Marlins want to trade him and sign Prince Fielder, then great - but it's pretty obvious that that won't be happening. Any big hike in our payroll should come in the form of a second ace or a revamped bullpen.