Source: Javier Vazquez talks get 'hot'

Javier Vazquez isn't a Marlin yet. But contract negotiations to bring him to Florida have gotten "hot," according to one source familiar with those discussions.

Vazquez has been atop the Marlins' shopping list for a week, since the trade of Dan Uggla freed up money for a veteran starting pitcher. And sources within the industry told ESPN.com late Tuesday that the club's negotiations with the 34-year-old right-hander were "moving forward."It's viewed as unlikely a deal would be finished off until after Thanksgiving. But other clubs that have expressed interest in Vazquez -- including the Washington Nationals, Chicago Cubs and Colorado Rockies -- are now saying they're pessimistic about their chances of signing him.

Vazquez has told people he's close to he wants just a one-year contract in "the right place." And it now appears Florida is that place. Reports last week said he recently had lunch with Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez. Both are from Puerto Rico.

Vazquez is coming off a difficult year in New York, where he went 10-10 with a 5.32 ERA for the Yankees. At age 34, his preference for a one-year deal would seem to indicate he has reached the stage of his career where he wants to go year-to-year and assess his future after he sees how he pitches in 2011.

Earlier, clubs had earmarked Vazquez as a potential free-agent bargain. But in a starting-pitching market with few attractive options, it now appears the market will drive his one-year price tag north of $8 million -- and could possibly approach the $11.5 million he earned last year. Reports had circulated earlier that Vazquez wanted somewhere in the neighborhood of the same three-year, $33 million deal the Los Angeles Dodgers gave Ted Lilly.

Vazquez is a Type B free agent. He was offered arbitration by the Yankees on Tuesday, apparently with an informal understanding that he wouldn't accept. The Yankees are well aware he has no interest in returning, so offering arbitration assures them of draft-pick compensation when he signs elsewhere.

Source: Marlins, Javier in serious talks

You place Vasquez in the middle of the rotation and wow this pitching staff takes a whole new look...Maybe trade Nolasco for a young lefty starter like Jonathan Sanchez or Brett Anderson

Please explain to me why anyone would ever make that trade with us.

Explain why not then we'll explain why.

You place Vasquez in the middle of the rotation and wow this pitching staff takes a whole new look...Maybe trade Nolasco for a young lefty starter like Jonathan Sanchez or Brett Anderson

Well, Brett Anderson is never ever going to happen. Anderson has already had a better season than Nolasco has, is 5 years younger, and is way cheaper. He did have some injury issues this season but not enough for Billy Beene, of all people, to trade off for someone much older and expensive at the end of club control.

Sanchez is the same age as Noly but has been better over the last two years and is also cheaper (because of Noly's super-two status). He's also a lefty which makes him a more valuable commodity.

Did you steal Penguin's wit, or it's somehow not apparent that Brett Anderson is AMAZING - 22 years old, lefty, 2.80 ERA, better WHIP than Nolasco is had in 4/5 seasons, and he still costs the minimum. Sanchez is less ridiculous, but he still had an ERA 1.5 runs less than Ricky's, yet they're the same age and w/roughly identical experience.

Did you steal Penguin's wit, or it's somehow not apparent that Brett Anderson is AMAZING - 22 years old, lefty, 2.80 ERA, better WHIP than Nolasco is had in 4/5 seasons, and he still costs the minimum. Sanchez is less ridiculous, but he still had an ERA 1.5 runs less than Ricky's, yet they're the same age and w/roughly identical experience.

Anderson is very promising but has had injuries issues, however finished strong, I love Sanchez but it appears that Nolasco when on is a bit better pitcher than Sanchez, I think Nolasco is a better fit for that rotation of course it may take some sweetening of the pot...BTW Gio Gonzalez is the A's top LHP if we could get Gio I would be ecstatic don't think we could though... Anyway I was saying more of these type LHP 's than these pitchers themselves

Anderson is very promising but has had injuries issues, however finished strong, I love Sanchez but it appears that Nolasco when on is a bit better pitcher than Sanchez, I think Nolasco is a better fit for that rotation of course it may take some sweetening of the pot...BTW Gio Gonzalez is the A's top LHP if we could get Gio I would be ecstatic don't think we could though... Anyway I was saying more of these type LHP 's than these pitchers themselves

So...if this is true...why would we make this trade? It doesn't make sense either way you look at it. This isn't MLB 11 The Show, you can't just make trades for the sake of making a trade. It has to make sense for both teams. Put the Playstation controller down, my friend.

Go ahead and sign Vazquez...its unlikely the money is going anywhere else, so who cares?

Exactly, so if the FO is willing to spend on Vazquez, then that's a good thing. It's not like we are going to get a CF through Free Agency, so this will likely be our last MLB-level signing of the offseason. Make it count.