2011 MLB Draft...who you want?

Admin

Fairly deep draft. I am going to go against the grain and say college in the first round...Matt Purke if his price scares others away, if he is gone Mikie Mahtook.

The Fish have got to get away from drafting so many low upside college players. The reason the system is so thin right now is not just because players have graduated, but also because they have went cheap and taken no chances since 2007. Got to take a risk on some high schoolers at some point.

Fairly deep draft. I am going to go against the grain and say college in the first round...Matt Purke if his price scares others away, if he is gone Mikie Mahtook.

The Fish have got to get away from drafting so many low upside college players. The reason the system is so thin right now is not just because players have graduated, but also because they have went cheap and taken no chances since 2007. Got to take a risk on some high schoolers at some point.

I believe Skipworth, James and Yelich are both straight out of HS draft picks?

I don't know much about the MLB draft because college baseball isn't as hyped as college football/basketball and it's hard to keep track. All I know is that Garret Wittles sure doesn't look like a top prospect anymore...

I believe Skipworth, James and Yelich are both straight out of HS draft picks?

I don't know much about the MLB draft because college baseball isn't as hyped as college football/basketball and it's hard to keep track. All I know is that Garret Wittles sure doesn't look like a top prospect anymore...

They were, but after the 1st round the Marlins generally draft a plethora of low upside college players that are easy and cheap signs. The Fish have been 26th in the league for 4 straight years in bonus money given out.

What happened with Wittles? Is he going to Caribbean prison?

They were, but after the 1st round the Marlins generally draft a plethora of low upside college players that are easy and cheap signs. The Fish have been 26th in the league for 4 straight years in bonus money given out.

What happened with Wittles? Is he going to Caribbean prison?

I would've said Daniel Norris, but his delivery and his appearance give me a creepy reminder of Andrew Miller, so I'll pass on him.

Just a quick look through a few scouting reports and watch a few youtube videos, the player whose mechanics impressed me the most was Henry Owens. When the draft comes around I'll probably look a little bit closer at some of these guys, but I like this Owens kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo3GXnSDnVI

BTW, Spike, the Marlins took a kid, JT Realmuto, in the third round in last years draft and paid him double what the slot value was. He looks like a hell of a player. The Marlins did a fairly decent job at paying prospects good money last draft (I believe they were ranked in the low 20s among all teams).

I would've said Daniel Norris, but his delivery and his appearance give me a creepy reminder of Andrew Miller, so I'll pass on him.

Just a quick look through a few scouting reports and watch a few youtube videos, the player whose mechanics impressed me the most was Henry Owens. When the draft comes around I'll probably look a little bit closer at some of these guys, but I like this Owens kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo3GXnSDnVI

BTW, Spike, the Marlins took a kid, JT Realmuto, in the third round in last years draft and paid him double what the slot value was. He looks like a hell of a player. The Marlins did a fairly decent job at paying prospects good money last draft (I believe they were ranked in the low 20s among all teams).

We need a catcher... Skipworth and Realmuto are all we've got and if one of them isn't read in 3 years time, we're going to have to pay a premium again for another.

I do really hope Realmuto makes it

You usually don't want to draft for a certain position, though. That seems to be a cardinal rule of drafting. Just take the best player available (considering money or other issues).

We need a catcher... Skipworth and Realmuto are all we've got and if one of them isn't read in 3 years time, we're going to have to pay a premium again for another.

I do really hope Realmuto makes it

You usually don't want to draft for a certain position, though. That seems to be a cardinal rule of drafting. Just take the best player available (considering money or other issues).

The Fish will add minor league pitching at the trade deadline for Nunez and Badenhop.

Yeah, Badenhop has awesome trade value. :rolleyes:

I don't even know why you guys are talking about the draft like this, either. Teams don't just go into the draft, drafting based on organizational needs; more often than not, they're drafting the BPA.