Marlins Considering Shields

gizmo

The Marlins are considering making a serious run at Rays right-hander James Shields, writesBuster Olney of ESPN.com. The two sides have some natural match-up on a trade because the Marlins could dangle Logan Morrison as part of a package for the right-hander.

Shields drew interest from a number of clubs at the deadline including the Tigers and Reds but the Rays opted to hang on to him instead. Rays executive VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman says that he would like to maintain the team's pitching depth, but Shields would be a huge trading chip this winter.

Meanwhile, Olney writes that in spite of the speculation about Carlos Zambrano reuniting with Ozzie Guillen in Florida, there isn't a lot of momentum behind this within the Marlins organization. The club's opposition to the move has more to do with about how Zambrano's stuff has regressed than his personality history.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/marlins-considering-james-shields-zambrano-unlikely.html

What do you guys think? After this season, I think it might take more than just LoMo to nab Shields. Are you guys willing to part with Morrison+ to get a guy like Shields behind JJ?

The Marlins are considering making a serious run at Rays right-hander James Shields, writesBuster Olney of ESPN.com. The two sides have some natural match-up on a trade because the Marlins could dangle Logan Morrison as part of a package for the right-hander.

Shields drew interest from a number of clubs at the deadline including the Tigers and Reds but the Rays opted to hang on to him instead. Rays executive VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman says that he would like to maintain the team's pitching depth, but Shields would be a huge trading chip this winter.

Meanwhile, Olney writes that in spite of the speculation about Carlos Zambrano reuniting with Ozzie Guillen in Florida, there isn't a lot of momentum behind this within the Marlins organization. The club's opposition to the move has more to do with about how Zambrano's stuff has regressed than his personality history.

http://www.mlbtrader...o-unlikely.html

What do you guys think? After this season, I think it might take more than just LoMo to nab Shields. Are you guys willing to part with Morrison+ to get a guy like Shields behind JJ?

This just reminds me of that thread in June or so when that Rays fan on here was insisting that Shields was better than JJ... I'm sure he'll be happy if this happens

I would not be oppese to a deal but I wouldn't be too static about it if it happens. Shields is Nolasco with one great year. Do you think Shields can duplicate or even come close to 2011 year again? If your answer is no then I wouldn't like another Ricky Nolasco on the team in exchange for Lomo and another top prospect.

I would not be oppese to a deal but I wouldn't be too static about it if it happens. Shields is Nolasco with one great year. Do you think Shields can duplicate or even come close to 2011 year again? If your answer is no then I wouldn't like another Ricky Nolasco on the team in exchange for Lomo and another top prospect.

yeah nolasco only had one good year. shields has had over 200 innings pitched for 5 straight years and a career 1.23 whip.

he also has very good strikeout and walk numbers with his only bad season being 2010 while 2009 was still very serviceable. 2007: 3.85 era, 2008: 3.56 era, 2009: 4.14 era, 2011: 2.82 era in the AL East.

nolasco doesnt come close to that.

Moving LoMo is not a great idea, even for someone like Shields. Not only is he going to develop into a very good offensive weapon, you're basically taking away the only left-handed bat that means anything in our lineup (and the only decent left-handed hitter we've had since Cliff Floyd). This team needs more pitching, sure, but as someone mentioned your ideal chip has got to be Gaby Sanchez. Sell high on this guy coming off an All-Star season, because he is very replacable at 1B.

Even though Gaby was an all star, he didn't really have an all star season.

Still, sell some team on him being an "all star" last season, get some good value (aka a major league ready center fielder, 3rd baseman, or starting pitcher) for Gaby.

I've been saying that Gaby was going to be traded within the next two years since LoMo got called up. I think this offseason is the time to maximize his value.

Even though Gaby was an all star, he didn't really have an all star season.

Still, sell some team on him being an "all star" last season, get some good value (aka a major league ready center fielder, 3rd baseman, or starting pitcher) for Gaby.

I've been saying that Gaby was going to be traded within the next two years since LoMo got called up. I think this offseason is the time to maximize his value.

yeah me too. i think gaby definitely should be traded and we need a power first basemen. i dont think we have a real shot at pujols but im sure they will take a look. i would love fielder.

Shields had a good year this year, but I don't feel that good about him. The last two times he's been to the playoffs he has been shelled, he threw so many innings this year that I'd be worried about him hitting a wall, & his year last year would make Chris Volstad look good.

I think he's a pretty good pitcher, but he's not worth selling the farm for, especially when we have almost no farm to sell. It would be more worthwhile for this team to spend more money on a better pitcher in free agency than lose the players it would require to pull in a guy like Shields. The only way that would make sense is if we were going to replace those players traded with quality free agents.