November 5, 201114 yr Author For what it's worth, the results of FanGraph's fansourcing experiment to see what their readers thought the contracts of FAs would be were released. Buehrle's average result was 2.7 years, $11.1 million per. Jackson's were 3.3 years, $10.4 million per. Not saying it's worth much, except as a though experiment, but it's interesting to see the perceptions of each. People don't think their contracts will be too dissimilar. That seems about right (and a pretty cool idea).. I could definitely see Jackson getting a 4 year deal while Buehrle gets a 3 year deal with more per year. Something like 4/40 for Jackson and 3/36 for Buehrle
November 5, 201114 yr The problem is that Edwin Jackson is right handed. I fail to see how he or any other right hander like him does anything at all to improve the rotation.
November 5, 201114 yr The problem is that Edwin Jackson is right handed. I fail to see how he or any other right hander like him does anything at all to improve the rotation. True. The organization would probably have no interest in a guy like that.
November 8, 201114 yr http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/marlins-to-meet-with-mark-buehrle-.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed Marlins To Meet With Mark Buehrle By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 7, 2011 at 10:52pm CST] The Marlins, who already obtained manager Ozzie Guillen from the White Sox this offseason, are now pursuing the most dependable starter the skipper had in Chicago, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Marlins will meet with free agent left-hander Mark Buehrle tomorrow. Rosenthal reported earlier today that adding left-handed starting pitching is the Marlins' top offseason priority. C.J. Wilson, another free agent left-hander, concerns the Marlins because of his postseason control issues, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. The Marlins aren't shying away from other top free agents. They have Prince Fielder and Albert Pujols on their radar and, according to Rosenthal, will meet with Jose Reyes Wednesday and Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes Thursday. Pujols, Fielder, Reyes and Wilson are Type A free agents, while Buehrle qualifies as a Type B. He wouldn't cost the Marlins a 2012 draft pick and neither would Cespedes.
November 8, 201114 yr This I like to read: Among available free agent pitchers, the Marlins are much higher on Buehrle than they are on C.J. Wilson. Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2011/11/report-marlins-meeting-today-with-mark-buehrle.html#ixzz1d7WIGCXY
November 8, 201114 yr I'm glad that we are higher on buerhle than wilson... his performance in the postseason did not tickle my fancy
November 8, 201114 yr Yeah, I'd rather sign Buerhle at this point. He seems to be the safer bet. And less expensive
November 8, 201114 yr I'm glad that we are higher on buerhle than wilson... his performance in the postseason did not tickle my fancy Buerhle's last two post season series: 14.1 IP, 9 ER. I guess it is less alarming because it didn't happen this year, or something.
November 8, 201114 yr I'm glad that we are higher on buerhle than wilson... his performance in the postseason did not tickle my fancy Buerhle's last two post season series: 14.1 IP, 9 ER. I guess it is less alarming because it didn't happen this year, or something. Or maybe he just didn't know that, or something.
November 8, 201114 yr I'm glad that we are higher on buerhle than wilson... his performance in the postseason did not tickle my fancy Buerhle's last two post season series: 14.1 IP, 9 ER. I guess it is less alarming because it didn't happen this year, or something. I'm glad that we are higher on buerhle than wilson... his performance in the postseason did not tickle my fancy Buerhle's last two post season series: 14.1 IP, 9 ER. I guess it is less alarming because it didn't happen this year, or something. Or maybe he just didn't know that, or something. I actually didn't know that *shrugs*
November 8, 201114 yr SJ: were you saying you don't think CJ will be a good postseason pitcher, or that the postseason games was your exposure to his pitching and you weren't impressed by what you saw there (for general/regular season purposes).
November 8, 201114 yr Author I mentioned it earlier in the thread but it bears repeating.. Buehrle is 24-6 with a 3.32 ERA in 37 career starts vs the NL. That has to count for something
November 8, 201114 yr Interesting piece on ESPN about 2 Free-Agent bargains who could both potentially be fits in Miami: David DeJesus and Chris Capuano. http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/31252/digging-to-find-mlb-free-agent-bargains Both were quite unlucky last year, but are solid starters.
November 8, 201114 yr Yeah, I was wondering what the hell happened to DeJesus last season. It seems like Oakland is just one of those places where bats go to die.
November 8, 201114 yr Yeah, I was wondering what the hell happened to DeJesus last season. It seems like Oakland is just one of those places where bats go to die. BABIP 40 points below career average.
November 8, 201114 yr The Marlins also were meeting with free-agent left-hander Mark Buerhle on Tuesday, but the competition to sign Buehrle is intense, sources say. Three big-money AL clubs - the Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers – are among the teams said to be interested in Buehrle. http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/marlins_blue_jays_pursuing_starters/7951378?new_post=true
November 8, 201114 yr Interesting piece on ESPN about 2 Free-Agent bargains who could both potentially be fits in Miami: David DeJesus and Chris Capuano. http://espn.go.com/b...-agent-bargains Both were quite unlucky last year, but are solid starters. No thanks on Capuano.
November 8, 201114 yr #Marlins give Mark Buehrle tour of new ballpark, and trip around the city, including a stop at the beach. Marlins making strong push
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.