December 4, 201114 yr Im worried about the Nats. They seem to be willing to throw out as much money as us with Strasburg and Harper in the Wings. They worry me a lot. In two or three years, if run properly there is no reason that they shouldn't be the team to beat in the East, especially with the age that will be shown in Philly & Atlanta, and the Mets money problems might last for a while. Atlanta showing age? In 2-3 years, the only old players on that team will be Uggla, and possibly Hudson. Practically everyone else will be well under 30.
December 4, 201114 yr Yeah ATL will be scary for a long time if they play it right. Philly's glory days are (hopefully) going to be in the past soon, though.
December 5, 201114 yr Marlins are Front-Runners to Sign Buehrle According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the Marlins' offer to Buehrle is considered "a very strong one," and likely has Miami as the current frontrunner to land the most coveted free agent pitcher on the market, with a reported 14 teams going after him.
December 5, 201114 yr Wow, if they manage to sign Bell, Reyes, and Buehrle and in addition trade for another starter, I'd say that's a pretty impressive offseason. 90+ wins is certainly in the picture if everyone stays healthy (especially Josh Johnson).
December 5, 201114 yr Marlins are Front-Runners to Sign Buehrle According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the Marlins' offer to Buehrle is considered "a very strong one," and likely has Miami as the current frontrunner to land the most coveted free agent pitcher on the market, with a reported 14 teams going after him.
December 5, 201114 yr Especially if Bell, Reyes, and Buehrle all sign here (Bell's signing isn't official yet).
December 5, 201114 yr Dare I say the Marlins are finna make a big splash at Winter Meetings?! To quote Lil Jon: "Let's gooooo, let's gooooo! If you want it, you can get it..."
December 5, 201114 yr Patrick Stuart is a Hunk of man................ I didnt mean to say that outloud.
December 5, 201114 yr *eagerly awaits LeBatard shouting "WE GOT EM ALL!!! DISCOUNTED!!!!"* Although the discounted doesn't apply, you all get the picture.
December 5, 201114 yr I think it's been echoed: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=MLB&id=3074&line=346142&spln=1 CSN Chicago's Chuck Garfien speculates that the Marlins are the favorites to land free agent starter Mark Buehrle.
December 5, 201114 yr I would think originally Buehrle wants to come here because he wants to play NL ball, plus he has Ozzie. Then the Marlins added Bell to the mix, and really showed him and/or Wilson they are willing to spend to protect their wins. NOW, with Reyes in the bag, I would assume we are definitely the favorite to land this guy. Three years, $45-million ought to do the trick... And I think we'll see something like that this week.
December 5, 201114 yr I would think originally Buehrle wants to come here because he wants to play NL ball, plus he has Ozzie. Then the Marlins added Bell to the mix, and really showed him and/or Wilson they are willing to spend to protect their wins. NOW, with Reyes in the bag, I would assume we are definitely the favorite to land this guy. Three years, $45-million ought to do the trick... And I think we'll see something like that this week. Yeah, this. The only hiccup is that Buehrle apparently wants a no-trade clause, and the Marlins have a policy against it. But he's likely a more realistic possibility than CJ Wilson, who thinks he's worth more than he is. I just feel like the FO should be zeroing in on Buehrle right now instead of still going after Pujols. I mean, if they REALLY can afford to get both (which I have no clue if they can), then sure.
December 5, 201114 yr I would think originally Buehrle wants to come here because he wants to play NL ball, plus he has Ozzie. Then the Marlins added Bell to the mix, and really showed him and/or Wilson they are willing to spend to protect their wins. NOW, with Reyes in the bag, I would assume we are definitely the favorite to land this guy. Three years, $45-million ought to do the trick... And I think we'll see something like that this week. Yeah, this. The only hiccup is that Buehrle apparently wants a no-trade clause, and the Marlins have a policy against it. But he's likely a more realistic possibility than CJ Wilson, who thinks he's worth more than he is. I just feel like the FO should be zeroing in on Buehrle right now instead of still going after Pujols. I mean, if they REALLY can afford to get both (which I have no clue if they can), then sure. I think if they can get him on the 3-year deal that's being reported instead of the 4-years he wanted to get, when it's all said and done they'll give him the clause to make this happen. Jose may not be happy, but he doesn't care who overpays him for the next 6-years...
December 5, 201114 yr Mark Buehrle Rumors: Monday By Tim Dierkes [December 5 at 3:47pm CST] The latest on free agent lefty Mark Buehrle...The Twins, Nationals, Marlins, and Rangers are in on Buehrle, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, but the Twins' offer is not as strong as the others. The other teams are believed to be in the three-year, $36-39MM range. Yesterday, we learned that Buehrle is the Nationals' top target and the Marlins have made him a strong offer. The inclusion of a no-trade clause will be a factor. MLBTR We've got a legit shot. And if we could get him for $12MM-$13MM/year, I'd be very happy about that.
December 6, 201114 yr Talk about covering all the bases in one post. Touch 'em all, mystikol! lmao I fixed it.
December 6, 201114 yr The Nats will give him the no trade clause and that will be the end of that. Then the Marlins will get Wilson. That's my guess.
December 6, 201114 yr I'm down with CJ or Buehrle. If we get neither, I will be super pissed. What if we get neither, but get Gio? Will you be at least OK with that?
December 6, 201114 yr I'm down with CJ or Buehrle. If we get neither, I will be super pissed. What if we get neither, but get Gio? Will you be at least OK with that? I would not be AS pissed if we didn't get either of them because we landed Pujols.
December 6, 201114 yr I'm basically satisfied with any single addition of Buehrle, Wilson, or Pujols - Sanchez - Dominguez + Gio Gonzalez.
December 6, 201114 yr Author Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Nationals have had "little, if any, interest in C.J. Wilson from the jump," as Mark Buehrle remains their top free agent target. A report surfaced earlier Monday that the Nats offered Wilson a six-year deal, but it was shot down by general manager Mike Rizzo. It sounds like Wilson isn't even on the team's radar and the report was likely an effort by Wilson's representatives to bump up the left-hander's asking price. Buehrle reportedly has three-year offers in the $36-39 million range from a few teams, and it seems likely that the Nats are one of those clubs. Damn it.. you know the Nats will throw that 4th year at him.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.