Yoenis Cespedes to Athletics

Fish4Life

According to a league source familiar with his status, the asking price for Cespedes could be double that of Aroldis Chapman, the Cuban pitcher with the Reds.

In January of 2010, Chapman signed a six-year deal worth $30.25 million. Cespedes, the source said, could be seeking more than double Chapman’s salary over eight years. Technically, no negotiations can take place until after he is declared a free agent.

- Joe Frisario

$60 mil / 8 years?

f*** it, for $7.5 mil a year this could turn out to be a steal. sign me up.

By doubling $30MM/6 years, I'd suspect they mean $60MM/6 years. So that's $10MM/year. That's a huge risk for a guy who will likely need minor league time first (according to the report).

This is the guy I would love to see in a Marlins' jersey...more than any other....

Are u serious....

Yup....

We ain't getting Puhols,so quit dreaming...Reyes has major injury issues... Cespedes has a ton of skills, and would be the young talent to bring peeps to the ballpark....

Until he's easily exposed as an overhyped defect and is exposed in spring training.

Yoenis Cespedes’ Asking Price

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 21 at 10:28am CST]

MONDAY, 10:28am: The $35-50MM estimate for Cespedes may be light, a GM tells Gammons. Cespedes' people told one club they already have an offer with $10MM up front and eight years.

FRIDAY, 3:46pm: Cespedes may be looking to obtain more than $60MM on an eight-year deal, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. The outfielder shoud be declared a free agent soon after he establishes temporary residency in the Dominican Republic in late November, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

12:59pm: The question emerges whenever a star hits the free agent market: ‘how much will he cost?’ Yoenis Cespedes, the 26-year-old Cuban center fielder who is expected to hit free agency this offseason, has already drawn interest from many MLB teams and it sounds as though he expects to be paid like an established star, not a prospect.

Cespedes' agents are positioning him as an impact MLB player, instead of comparing him to other Cubans who have made the leap to the Major Leagues, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). Scouts in the Dominican tell Peter Gammons of MLB Network that Cespedes will cost between $35-50MM (Twitter link).

The Cubs will watch Cespedes and others in the Dominican Republic next week, according to MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat (on Twitter). The Red Sox, Phillies, Indians, Blue Jays, Pirates,Rangers, Tigers, Nationals, Athletics, Marlins, and Yankees also appear to have some interest in Cespedes.

10MM up front? I hope this is BS, I am still hoping we pick him up.

• 2 weeks later...

http://insider.espn....yoenis-cespedes

Projecting Cespedes

Using Cespedes' Cuban stats, I used the ZiPS projection system to give a glimpse of his future.

Year

BA

OBP

SLG

HR

RBI

SB

WAR