Yoenis Cespedes to Athletics

Fish4Life

Cuban leagues are the equivalent of A+ competition

Don't ever go near Cuba under the name "MarlinsLou." They'd toss you into prison for life for exposing the workers' paradise to yet more ridicule.

:lol

Lou has a good track record.... I buy it.

so how good is Cuban League BBall in your eyes?

Don't ever go near Cuba under the name "MarlinsLou." They'd toss you into prison for life for exposing the workers' paradise to yet more ridicule.

What MarlinsLou said is actually quite correct it's a ball at max.

Didn't he crush WBC pitching last time around? Wasn't that MLB talent?

Didn't he crush WBC pitching last time around? Wasn't that MLB talent?

Emilio Bonifacio had a 1.167 OPS on April 14, 2009

I he couldn't hit MLB pitching it would have been a 230 ba at the WBC. 2009 showed us bonifacio has potential. He became a full time player and played well a year or two after

I agree. I definitely think that potential is there. The price has to be right though. If we end up paying a guy 9-10 million a year for a .220 avg, then obviously that would hurt a bit. I dont think he will stay in center though. He will eventually end up in lf imo.

I he couldn't hit MLB pitching it would have been a 230 ba at the WBC. 2009 showed us bonifacio has potential. He became a full time player and played well a year or two after

I agree. I definitely think that potential is there. The price has to be right though. If we end up paying a guy 9-10 million a year for a .220 avg, then obviously that would hurt a bit. I dont think he will stay in center though. He will eventually end up in lf imo.

I honestly think this guy is the lynch pin in everything the team does for the rest of the offseason. There are a few possibilities that could go down if we were to sign him.

1. He plays CF and Boni goes back to being the super utility player

2. He plays LF and we trade gaby for SP, moving Lomo to 1B

3. He plays LF and we trade Lomo for SP, keeping Gaby at 1B

I personally am in favor of option 2 soley based upon the fact that Lomo is a lefty. if Cespedes were a Lefty it would be an easy call to go with option 3 in my opinion. but alas, it wont happen.

After watching him hit 500 foot bombs in batting practice (and the rest of the youtube video), I'm going to be completely knee jerk (and probably regret this statement when Cespedes sucks in the MLB), but...

GEEEEEEEEEEET HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM NOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW.

That guy is a physical freak. Ozzie and Perez can tweak his swing to become more compact along the way.

Yankees, Marlins Divided On Yoenis Cespedes

By Luke Adams [December 23, 2011 at 4:40pm CST]

There is divide in both the Yankees' and Marlins' front offices on whether to pursue Yoenis Cespedes, according to Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com. Knobler says the two clubs, along with the Red Sox, may not be as heavily involved in the bidding for the Cuban outfielder as expected.

While there have been conflicting reports on the Yankees' interest in Cespedes, the Marlins are regarded by some teams as the favorite for the 26-year-old, as Knobler wrote earlier this week. According to Knobler, however, Cespedes has told people he plans to make his permanent home in the Dominican Republic rather than Miami, and may prefer to play for a team besides the Fish.

Even with Cespedes moving closer to establishing residency in the Dominican, it doesn't appear he'll officially become a free agent until sometime in January.

Quite honestly this might end up working in our favor. If the Yankees are not as high on him as we thought, it may give any potential team that wants to snag him leverage to negotiate. Honestly I think if true the Marlins are just putting on that poker face,and Cespedes is putting on his in case other teams are sold on the fact that he is a sure thing to go to the Marlins as some people believe. This is a business, but when the time comes I expect that Marlins to make a VERY STRONG PUSH.

"According to Knobler, however, Cespedes has told people he plans to make his permanent home in the Dominican Republic rather than Miami, and may prefer to play for a team besides the Fish."

This makes no sense to me.

hahahaha i was typing a response where it make perfect sense, I read it again and now i agree with you. It doesnt make sense. Maybe its a misquote. i dunno.

does anyone know how he performed against quality pitching at the WBC? I know he put up good stats overall, but I was wondering how he did against the good teams, like the USA, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, etc. I dont think anyone cares how he did against China or whatever. If he did well, this could be a glimpse at his potential to handle ML pitching.

Guys I dont know any better way than to do this and I appologize in advance. I am going to C and P links to boxscores from Cuban games in the WBC. To be honest, The Cuban team was in a cupcake pool grp so you may want to disregard the that round.

Pool B

Cuba vs South Africa

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/stats/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_03_08_rsaint_cubint_1

Cuba vs Austrialia

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/stats/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_03_10_cubint_ausint_1

Cuba vs Mexico

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/stats/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_03_12_mexint_cubint_1

Rd 2

Pool 1

Cuba vs Japan(eventual champs)

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/stats/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_03_15_jpnint_cubint_1

Cuba vs Mexico

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/stats/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_03_16_cubint_mexint_1

Cuba vs Japan

http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/stats/boxscore.jsp?gid=2009_03_18_jpnint_cubint_1

Cuba eliminated

After looking at this, the numbers are good but not really sure he faced any "quality" pitching. The only name i really recognized was Matsuzaka and I wouldnt really call him quality.

Sorry again guys, I wish i had the time to break down the numbers but after studying these boxscores I am not sure about paying this guy the money he wants. It's a real crapshoot and unless someone has more info than this that isnt sexy 20 min video driven I am backing off the Cespedes train for now.

does anyone know how he performed against quality pitching at the WBC? I know he put up good stats overall, but I was wondering how he did against the good teams, like the USA, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, etc. I dont think anyone cares how he did against China or whatever. If he did well, this could be a glimpse at his potential to handle ML pitching.

Small sample size.