December 4, 201114 yr Aramis Ramirez wants 4 years. You are so silly. We just gave Heath f***ing Bell 3 years/27 million to pitch 60-70 innings per year, and you still think the team is just being cheap. I don't get it. Did you read that Bell got a no-trade clause ? I didn't read anything about that either. Reyes wants a no-trade I am sure, and its come out that is probably the hold-up on that deal, same with Buehrle. If you want to play with the big boys, then you need to give contracts like the big boys. Otherwise you are doing nothing more than a dog & pony show. No-trade clauses that cinch the deal are the way every one else operates, so you do too.
December 4, 201114 yr Our insistence on refusing to include no-trade clauses should have been discarded like every other aspect of the Florida Marlins.
December 4, 201114 yr Dude, an NL GM said that a bunch of other teams were SCARED OFF BY THE MARLINS' OFFER. They are super serious about Reyes. I don't know how much more clear the Marlinz can be. Then add the no-trade clause and get it done, simple as that. Unless they do a no-trade for Reyes everyone remembers Delgado and his trade, and that remains as the 800 lb gorilla in the room. Reyes doesn't want to commit to the Marlins if they decide next year things aren't working out and say he gets shipped to Kansas City. I understand why he wants the no-trade, and he has the leverage to command it. The Marlins need to give it to him and close the deal. Otherwise they just look like the same old cheap Marlins. Its as big a risk to Reyes to commit to the Marlins as it is for them to commit to him, maybe even more.
December 4, 201114 yr Aramis Ramirez wants 4 years. You are so silly. We just gave Heath f***ing Bell 3 years/27 million to pitch 60-70 innings per year, and you still think the team is just being cheap. I don't get it. Did you read that Bell got a no-trade clause ? I didn't read anything about that either. Reyes wants a no-trade I am sure, and its come out that is probably the hold-up on that deal, same with Buehrle. If you want to play with the big boys, then you need to give contracts like the big boys. Otherwise you are doing nothing more than a dog & pony show. No-trade clauses that cinch the deal are the way every one else operates, so you do too. lol is this a Dan Lebatard reference?
December 4, 201114 yr Aramis Ramirez wants 4 years. You are so silly. We just gave Heath f***ing Bell 3 years/27 million to pitch 60-70 innings per year, and you still think the team is just being cheap. I don't get it. Did you read that Bell got a no-trade clause ? I didn't read anything about that either. Reyes wants a no-trade I am sure, and its come out that is probably the hold-up on that deal, same with Buehrle. If you want to play with the big boys, then you need to give contracts like the big boys. Otherwise you are doing nothing more than a dog & pony show. No-trade clauses that cinch the deal are the way every one else operates, so you do too. lol is this a Dan Lebatard reference? Actually Neil Rogers......
December 4, 201114 yr WellI guess were not getting a quick answer before meetings now unless we throw something crazy at him. A screwball? A Dice-K gyroball?
December 4, 201114 yr Marlins Offer Reyes Six-Year, $111MM Deal By Zach Links [December 4, 2011 at 5:53pm CST] The Marlins have offered Jose Reyes a six-year, $111MM deal, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com (Spanish link).
December 5, 201114 yr Author Marlins Offer Reyes Six-Year, $111MM Deal By Zach Links [December 4, 2011 at 5:53pm CST] The Marlins have offered Jose Reyes a six-year, $111MM deal, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com (Spanish link). Welcome to Miami, Jose.
December 5, 201114 yr Marlins Offer Reyes Six-Year, $111MM Deal By Zach Links [December 4, 2011 at 5:53pm CST] The Marlins have offered Jose Reyes a six-year, $111MM deal, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com (Spanish link). Bienvenido a Miami, José. fify
December 5, 201114 yr Reyes is gonna be a Marlin. $100 million was the key number, and they went to it (allegedly)
December 5, 201114 yr Author Marlins Offer Reyes Six-Year, $111MM Deal By Zach Links [December 4, 2011 at 5:53pm CST] The Marlins have offered Jose Reyes a six-year, $111MM deal, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com (Spanish link). Bienvenido a Miami, José. fify I'm too white to know any Spanish, sorry.
December 5, 201114 yr That's a sh*t load of money for a guy with an injury history, but I can't say I'm not excited.
December 5, 201114 yr I bet this is a take-it-or-leave-it offer. They probably want to see where they stand before the Winter Meetings, so they can move on to pitching.
December 5, 201114 yr Author I always get excited when jokersgoon bumps these threads. It's usually good news.
December 5, 201114 yr The people on MLBTR are raging. Now instead of calling us cheap, they're calling us stupid.
December 5, 201114 yr The people on MLBTR are raging. Now instead of calling us cheap, they're calling us stupid. I don't think it's entirely out of the question to call the Marlins stupid in this case. That is a ton of cash to tie up on a guy with some injury concerns. You can say that the "message it sends" is important (to justify overpaying), but I think the Marlins kind of already blew their wad in that respect by deciding to pay $9 million/year on a closer.
December 5, 201114 yr The people on MLBTR are raging. Now instead of calling us cheap, they're calling us stupid. I don't think it's entirely out of the question to call the Marlins stupid in this case. That is a ton of cash to tie up on a guy with some injury concerns. You can say that the "message it sends" is important (to justify overpaying), but I think the Marlins kind of already blew their wad in that respect by deciding to pay $9 million/year on a closer. True, but I said it more to highlight the fact that they're constantly looking for a reason to criticize the team. I don't think 9M on a closer is really overpaying. A lot of people compared Bell's salary to last year's payroll - but if payroll were to jump to 90 or 100M, then 10% of your salary on a closer isn't outrageous.
December 5, 201114 yr 6:29pm: The Mets are now aware of the Marlins $100MM+ offer and are out of the bidding, Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets. Barring a change of heart, it would seem that Reyes is leaving New York. The Mets were willing to go to a five-year deal for $75-85MM with an option for a sixth year to take the deal over $100MM, but felt that they were stretching for the five-year deal and won't extend to a sixth, Sherman tweets. To borrow ILMSF's gif.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.