December 5, 201114 yr The people on MLBTR are raging. Now instead of calling us cheap, they're calling us stupid. I don't think it's entirely out of the question to call the Marlins stupid in this case. That is a ton of cash to tie up on a guy with some injury concerns. You can say that the "message it sends" is important (to justify overpaying), but I think the Marlins kind of already blew their wad in that respect by deciding to pay $9 million/year on a closer. True, but I said it more to highlight the fact that they're constantly looking for a reason to criticize the team. I don't think 9M on a closer is really overpaying. A lot of people compared Bell's salary to last year's payroll - but if payroll were to jump to 90 or 100M, then 10% of your salary on a closer isn't outrageous. It's not a smart move for any team to be spending that much money on a closer unless they have unlimited resources like the Yankees do. The dollars/wins ratio for a closer is usually pretty terrible. It doesn't matter what the overall payroll is; that's still money that could be used more effectively elsewhere. The smart thing for the Marlins to do even with expanded payroll would be to find an arm already in their system and groom him for the closer's role. Then trade him when he gets too expensive.
December 5, 201114 yr Now that the Mets have been alerted.....I think a deal might happen tonight. Then we go into the Winter Meetings focused on starting pitching.
December 5, 201114 yr This deal could be happening any minute/day now. Seems the Marlins are intent on getting Reyes signed before the Winter Meetings.
December 5, 201114 yr I dont think the reyes deal is stupid at all. A third team was entering the bidding and it was a close call already for Reyes between the fish and the muts. The Bell deal was inefficient. A smarter move would have being to have Mujica close, but your paying Bell because he is proven closer.
December 5, 201114 yr The people on MLBTR are raging. Now instead of calling us cheap, they're calling us stupid. I don't think it's entirely out of the question to call the Marlins stupid in this case. That is a ton of cash to tie up on a guy with some injury concerns. You can say that the "message it sends" is important (to justify overpaying), but I think the Marlins kind of already blew their wad in that respect by deciding to pay $9 million/year on a closer. True, but I said it more to highlight the fact that they're constantly looking for a reason to criticize the team. I don't think 9M on a closer is really overpaying. A lot of people compared Bell's salary to last year's payroll - but if payroll were to jump to 90 or 100M, then 10% of your salary on a closer isn't outrageous. It's not a smart move more any team to be spending that much money on a closer unless they have unlimited resources like the Yankees. The dollars/wins ratio for a closer is usually pretty terrible. The smart thing for the Marlins to do even with expanded payroll would be to find an arm already in their system and groom him for the closer's role. Then trade him when he gets too expensive. I agree that it's not a smart move under most circumstances, but it's not an outrageous one either. Giving Reyes 6 years, 111 Million and a 22M 7th year option is more along the lines of outrageous than the Bell offer. I think the Marlins could have signed Bell and not done anything else, and people wouldn't have been surprised. It would've been a stupid move signing a closer with other holes in the team, but at the end of the day it's 9M for 3 years. Signing Reyes for this much - and essentially raising a bar in terms of price that they themselves set earlier - is probably the move that we'll look back at as the one who convinced people that the Marlins were serious.
December 5, 201114 yr 6:37pm: The Marlins came to the meetings with the idea of bumping their offer to Reyes and setting a deadline, but now they've upped the offer so much that they may not need to give the shortstop a deadline, tweets Jon Heyman of SI.
December 5, 201114 yr It's much harder to find someone to match Reyes' level of production than it is to find someone to get you saves. It's really not that hard to get someone to work the ninth; you shouldn't have to pay anywhere close to $9 million/year to get that. As far as I'm concerned, that's probably close to $7-8 million of payroll that could have been spent elsewhere. The only thing preventing the Bell deal from being stupid is the unique set of circumstances surrounding the team right now. In terms of baseball economics, however, the Bell deal is idiotic to the core.
December 5, 201114 yr It's much harder to find someone to match Reyes' level of production than it is to find someone to get you saves. It's really not that hard to get someone to work the ninth; you shouldn't have to pay anywhere close to $9 million/year to get that. As far as I'm concerned, that's probably close to $7-8 million of money that could have been spent elsewhere. The only thing preventing the Bell deal from being stupid is the unique set of circumstances surrounding the team right now. In terms of baseball economics, however, the Bell deal is idiotic to the core. But it's not outrageous. Outrageous would be offering a closer 20M a year. I agree that it's not an efficient use of money, but it's not an entirely uncommon one.
December 5, 201114 yr I think they did what they had to do bumping the offer to Reyes. What are those South Florida Mets fans going to do now? Bwahahaha
December 5, 201114 yr I think they did what they had to do bumping the offer to Reyes. What are those South Florida Mets fans going to do now? Bwahahaha Leave in the 7th inning after the Mets are down a few runs. Like always.
December 5, 201114 yr I agree that it's not a smart move under most circumstances, but it's not an outrageous one either. Giving Reyes 6 years, 111 Million and a 22M 7th year option is more along the lines of outrageous than the Bell offer. I think the Marlins could have signed Bell and not done anything else, and people wouldn't have been surprised. It would've been a stupid move signing a closer with other holes in the team, but at the end of the day it's 9M for 3 years. Signing Reyes for this much - and essentially raising a bar in terms of price that they themselves set earlier - is probably the move that we'll look back at as the one who convinced people that the Marlins were serious. I think by people, you meant Pujols.
December 5, 201114 yr Author So I guess this means Hanley wouldn't mind changing positions after all?
December 5, 201114 yr Agree to it and sign already, Reyes. Aren't the Brewers supposed to meet with Reyes' agents at the winter meetings?
December 5, 201114 yr Honestly I don't care anymore about the money or the offers, or whatever. Just sign everyone. This sh!t is exciting!
December 5, 201114 yr It's much harder to find someone to match Reyes' level of production than it is to find someone to get you saves. It's really not that hard to get someone to work the ninth; you shouldn't have to pay anywhere close to $9 million/year to get that. As far as I'm concerned, that's probably close to $7-8 million of money that could have been spent elsewhere. The only thing preventing the Bell deal from being stupid is the unique set of circumstances surrounding the team right now. In terms of baseball economics, however, the Bell deal is idiotic to the core. But it's not outrageous. Outrageous would be offering a closer 20M a year. I agree that it's not an efficient use of money, but it's not an entirely uncommon one. It doesn't matter what others teams do. Not all of them overpay for closers, either. It's not a smart move for those that do. You might have a different number in mind, but overpaying by $7-8 million for a role that might give you one extra win (if you are lucky) is pretty outrageous to me.
December 5, 201114 yr We still have to sign Stanton long term. We'll wait till arbitration, just so he can be worth more and we can add even more to our payroll. We'll look cooler that way.
December 5, 201114 yr $111 million offer to Reyes may be a bit overstated. Still trying to confirm. #Marlins -Juan Rodriguez
December 5, 201114 yr $111 million offer to Reyes may be a bit overstated. Still trying to confirm. #Marlins -Juan Rodriguez I think ESPN said that it was for $106M for 6 years and a 22M 7th year option with a 5M buyout. They probably added the 5M buyout because it's assumed he won't be worth 22M at age 36. Never mind, that's been reported all along. I just didn't read it before.
December 5, 201114 yr That's a sh*t load of money for a guy with an injury history, but I can't say I'm not excited. THANK YOU!!! I'm glad to see I'm not the only feeling... cautiously optimistic? trepidation?
December 5, 201114 yr Brendan_Tobin Brendan Tobin On MLB Network Rosenthal says Mets vesting 6th option made #Marlins up the offer on Jose Reyes
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.