Stanton's Attitude

Ken Rosenthal mentioned today that Loria is hell bent on building around Stanton and of course with Selig saying he would monitor the Marlins closely.

Also, he claims sources have said several things like Stanton is accepting the situation better just to put a positive outlook on things and also that other sources say he is happier with the direction of the team seeing all of the young talent coming up and in the pipeline.

And of course the fact that we are getting healthier and playing better.

Also, he claims sources have said several things like Stanton is accepting the situation better just to put a positive outlook on things and also that other sources say he is happier with the direction of the team seeing all of the young talent coming up and in the pipeline.

Well, yay!

BTW, this from MLB Trade Rumors, nice to hear someone throwing out positive thoughts on this team...

Marlins Unlikely To Trade Giancarlo Stanton

By Tim Dierkes [June 27 at 10:03am CST]

Dreaming of slugger Giancarlo Stanton manning right field for your contending team this summer? Forget about it. Multiple reports this week suggest Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria will not trade Stanton before the July 31st deadline. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Loria is "adamant about wanting to build around Stanton." And two days ago, ESPN's Jayson Stark wrote that officials of three different teams told him Loria "has decided this isn't the time to deal him."

Stanton, who is under the Marlins' control through 2016, "remains extremely unlikely to sign with the club long term," according to Rosenthal. Regardless, Rosenthal hears Loria is "hell-bent on winning in the near future - and proving that he made the right baseball decisions when he tore apart his roster." The Marlins traded Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante, Edward Mujica, Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Emilio Bonifacio, and John Buck in the last year, but as Rosenthal notes, many of their young players are coming on strong. How interesting would it be if this team made significant acquisitions during the offseason?

Top free agents would be extremely wary, but money talks and trades remain possible.

The Marlins do have trade candidates this summer aside from Stanton, including Ricky Nolasco, Placido Polanco, Greg Dobbs, Juan Pierre, Jeff Mathis, Chad Qualls, Ryan Webb, Kevin Slowey, Steve Cishek, and Mike Dunn.

BTW, this from MLB Trade Rumors, nice to hear someone throwing out positive thoughts on this team...

Marlins Unlikely To Trade Giancarlo Stanton

By Tim Dierkes [June 27 at 10:03am CST]

Dreaming of slugger Giancarlo Stanton manning right field for your contending team this summer? Forget about it. Multiple reports this week suggest Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria will not trade Stanton before the July 31st deadline. According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Loria is "adamant about wanting to build around Stanton." And two days ago, ESPN's Jayson Stark wrote that officials of three different teams told him Loria "has decided this isn't the time to deal him."

Stanton, who is under the Marlins' control through 2016, "remains extremely unlikely to sign with the club long term," according to Rosenthal. Regardless, Rosenthal hears Loria is "hell-bent on winning in the near future - and proving that he made the right baseball decisions when he tore apart his roster." The Marlins traded Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante, Edward Mujica, Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Emilio Bonifacio, and John Buck in the last year, but as Rosenthal notes, many of their young players are coming on strong. How interesting would it be if this team made significant acquisitions during the offseason?

Top free agents would be extremely wary, but money talks and trades remain possible.

The Marlins do have trade candidates this summer aside from Stanton, including Ricky Nolasco, Placido Polanco, Greg Dobbs, Juan Pierre, Jeff Mathis, Chad Qualls, Ryan Webb, Kevin Slowey, Steve Cishek, and Mike Dunn.

I'm not holding my breath on them signing any FAs. Not that the market is particularly interesting at this point except a few catchers out there (salty and mccann)

IDK if I'd want McCann - he's regressing and the injuries are starting to pile up, plus people run on him all day long.

I'd like to see how Brantly, Barnes, and Realmuto all develop. Although, right now, none of those three are hitting*, and Barnes isn't throwing many out right now ... eep.

*Barnes has a decent average, but it's below his career line thus far.

well "this isn't the time to deal him" makes it sound as if they might deal him, just not right now....

Frisario article today on Nolasco though did mention

Miami is expected to keep Stanton for the rest of the season and make him a multiyear contract offer prior to 2014.

may not mean anything but he's around the team as much as anyone, so sounds promising at least.

well "this isn't the time to deal him" makes it sound as if they might deal him, just not right now....

Miami is expected to keep Stanton for the rest of the season and make him a multiyear contract offer prior to 2014.

may not mean anything but he's around the team as much as anyone, so sounds promising at least.

Frisaro doesn't usually say anything unless it's concrete, too. He's not one for rumors.

Addressing Salty or McCann, I'm out. A lot of people here are not fans of Brantly, however, I think he's going to develop into something really nice offensively. Let Tino Martinez keep working with this kid, I think something is going to click soon.

Frisaro doesn't usually say anything unless it's concrete, too. He's not one for rumors.

Addressing Salty or McCann, I'm out. A lot of people here are not fans of Brantly, however, I think he's going to develop into something really nice offensively. Let Tino Martinez keep working with this kid, I think something is going to click soon.

I'd personally be fine if he were a .275-.280 average hitter with about 10 homers tops and a lot of doubles. That'd be ideal, I think. Could get an OPS around .800. His defense is developing, too.

I'd personally be fine if he were a .275-.280 average hitter with about 10 homers tops and a lot of doubles. That'd be ideal, I think. Could get an OPS around .800. His defense is developing, too.

Agreed, I think in the right lineup and with a little more time he will become exactly that.

I think this is technically his rookie season. He didn't have enough ab's in '12 to qualify, right? The good thing about Brantly is how competitive he seems to be. They always talk about what a fitness freak he is, and how disciplined he is in the gym, cages, etc. The guy certainly doesn't lack the talent, and the motivation/work ethic is there. Usually when you have that combination, eventually good things happen.

Yeah, he does indeed qualify as a Rookie.

Think about it, though, if he put up those numbers, and in the lineup that's 2-3 years away as a number 8 hitter, that'd be fantastic.

Well, chances are he won't be an 8 hitter with those numbers. Remember, Hech will still be here, so we have the 8 hole covered... lol

IDK if I'd want McCann - he's regressing and the injuries are starting to pile up, plus people run on him all day long.

I'd like to see how Brantly, Barnes, and Realmuto all develop. Although, right now, none of those three are hitting*, and Barnes isn't throwing many out right now ... eep.

*Barnes has a decent average, but it's below his career line thus far.

I would put McCann at first, if he were willing. He'll end up going to the AL though...

If the Marlins actually offer Stanton a contract, he'll sign it. He isn't gonna pass up guaranteed money

Yea, especially now that he sees there is a future here and these guys coming up to the big league club aren't really the joke the rest of the nation made them out to be...

Plus, who doesn't want to be the face of a franchise? I know I'd like that.