Third Base

Backin2008

Are you guys comfortable with the guys we currently have on the roster that can play 3B? I think it's a huge black hole. Dietrich, Dobbs, Lucas and Solano don't get me excited one bit. I think the Marlins should keep the pitching staff together for 2014. The free agents still out there are Reynolds, McGehee, Youkiilis, M.Young, Chavez and Betancourt. Don't think I would give them anything more than a 1-year deal. Will Middlebrooks, Dayan Viciedo or Chase Headley all make sense, but none of them would come too cheaply and I don't think the Marlins should trade any pitching right now. Sean Rodriguez, Cole Gillaspie, Jeff Keppinger, Mike Olt, Rickie Weeks and Jordan Pacheco could be other trade targets. What do you guys think?

Just sign Chavez and Baker and call it a day. Jeez, FO.

the return of John Baker.. I dig it !This Baker I speak of does have the first initial J, but it's not John.

Jeff Baker has been a guy I have been getting on my soapbox about. He would be a great platoon mate at either 1B or 3B for the Fish. He destroys lefty pitching.

They should at least sign Scott Sizemore to minor-league deal. If he's healthy he could hit LHP in platoon with Dietrich. I'm going to just obsess over him like I did with Ryan Hanigan at catcher.

He's still only 28 and put up decent numbers in 2011 before ACL surgeries .245/.342/.399/.741, and even better vs lefties.

I am really not high on the idea of dealing a top prospect arm for a young 3b with Moran possibly only a year away. I guess you'd do it hoping he could move to 1b eventually, they'd just better have a plan if they do this.

Have some freaking foresight for once.

I think that's plan. They don't want to trade for a stopgap, and they want someone versatile enough to fill a need afterwards.

I am really not high on the idea of dealing a top prospect arm for a young 3b with Moran possibly only a year away. I guess you'd do it hoping he could move to 1b eventually, they'd just better have a plan if they do this.

Have some freaking foresight for once.

It reminds me of the time when the Marlins traded away a young 3B for a sack of shit and had no other 3B in the system.

I would try to acquire Olt if the price is right. The only reason I would try to acquire a young controllable player is because we don't have any options in the minors at the corners other than Moran. If Moran comes up next year or at the end of this season, then you could move Olt or whomever we acquire to 1st base. Jones contract is only for two seasons and I doubt he will last that long.

I said this at the end of the Furcal thread, but since no one responded I'll say it again here. If we want Dietrich to concentrate on improving his hitting, why on earth would anyone want to force the guy to learn a new position at the same time? ML pitching isn't enough stress by itself? He should be starting at 2b this season.

They do fielding and hitting drills all the time as it is, so learning a new position wouldn't put too much stress on him, if they go that route.

I said this at the end of the Furcal thread, but since no one responded I'll say it again here. If we want Dietrich to concentrate on improving his hitting, why on earth would anyone want to force the guy to learn a new position at the same time? ML pitching isn't enough stress by itself? He should be starting at 2b this season.

As much as I seem to disagree, apparently they don't want him starting anywhere.

I would try to acquire Olt if the price is right. The only reason I would try to acquire a young controllable player is because we don't have any options in the minors at the corners other than Moran. If Moran comes up next year or at the end of this season, then you could move Olt or whomever we acquire to 1st base. Jones contract is only for two seasons and I doubt he will last that long.

I would only be interested in Olt if he can be had really cheap. I would rather have Christian Villanueva if we're making a deal with the Cubs.