Marlins expected to bump payroll to $75MM for 2015

Piazza31

In case anyone is wondering, they can bring the entire team for roughly $60 million. That would be this

C - Saltalamacchia

1B - G. Jones

2B - Dietrich/Kike

SS - Hechavarria

3B - McGehee

LF - Yelich

CF - Ozuna

RF - Stanton

B - Mathis

B - Baker

B - Dietrich/Kike

B -

B -

SP - Alvarez

SP - Eovaldi

SP - Cosart

SP - Koehler

SP - Heaney

RP - Cishek

RP - Ramos

RP - Morris

RP - Dunn

RP - Capps

RP - Hatcher/Dyson

RP - Hand/Flynn/Veteran Longman

Best case scenario if $75 is realistic is probably trading Cishek and Eovaldi (clears $10 million) for a young 1B and a young 2B/SS/3B type to fill out the position players and provide real competition across the board there (plus real hope for the future), signing a front line SP (Lester, Shields, Scherzer are top 3) for an absolute ton of money, perhaps sign a better veteran RP to upgrade someone above, and then stash a few extra bucks in case needed at deadline if contending and Fernandez looks healthy. Would be nice to dump Jones/Baker money ($7) and get someone better there, but realistically not going to happen.

Depending on who they can get for Cishek/Eovaldi, could be real interesting. Could also see them move Heaney and keep Eovaldi if they got someone with a lot of years (i.e. a package for Starlin Castro).

In case anyone is wondering, they can bring the entire team for roughly $60 million. That would be this

C - Saltalamacchia

1B - G. Jones

2B - Dietrich/Kike

SS - Hechavarria

3B - McGehee

LF - Yelich

CF - Ozuna

RF - Stanton

B - Mathis

B - Baker

B - Dietrich/Kike

B -

B -

SP - Alvarez

SP - Eovaldi

SP - Cosart

SP - Koehler

SP - Heaney

RP - Cishek

RP - Ramos

RP - Morris

RP - Dunn

RP - Capps

RP - Hatcher/Dyson

RP - Hand/Flynn/Veteran Longman

Best case scenario if $75 is realistic is probably trading Cishek and Eovaldi (clears $10 million) for a young 1B and a young 2B/SS/3B type to fill out the position players and provide real competition across the board there (plus real hope for the future), signing a front line SP (Lester, Shields, Scherzer are top 3) for an absolute ton of money, perhaps sign a better veteran RP to upgrade someone above, and then stash a few extra bucks in case needed at deadline if contending and Fernandez looks healthy. Would be nice to dump Jones/Baker money ($7) and get someone better there, but realistically not going to happen.

Depending on who they can get for Cishek/Eovaldi, could be real interesting. Could also see them move Heaney and keep Eovaldi if they got someone with a lot of years (i.e. a package for Starlin Castro).

I honestly think Eovaldi and Cishek as salary dumps is the last thing you do. Maybe Kohler/Hand for a team desperate for SP. Eovaldi is too promising right now to give up on- he just needs more consistency with his pitches.

You sign a OF, move back Yelich to 1B to solve the issue there if it's that BIG of an issue and you sign a veteran with low risk high reward if Yelich struggles. I'm not even sure of Yelich's skills at the bag to be honest and it might be best to leave him alone.

If you can flip jones and baker AFTER you have signed a replacement for 1B or OF you do it. Cant straight dump. The PR hit before you sign someone else will be too harsh considering they just signed.

You trade with the NYY or Boston if you can, I think Jones can benefit from both of their right fields pretty well- and baker seems like the utility type the Red Sox covet.

Because the bats you are talking about are mediocre and bench players at best.

That doesn't change the fact that we need to trade our valuable chips for a young 1B as badly as we need a blowjob from Rich Waltz. We have a lot more pressing issues than 1B, any combo of Bour/Jensen/Canha should have decent enough success to get by for a while.

Victor Martinez would be a fantastic addition. sign him, trade pitching and see if we could get Alcantara from Cubs.

Yelich

Alcantara

Stanton

Martinez

Ozuna

Salty

Mcgehee

Hech

Obviously not a world beater but very improved from this year when you take in improvements from younger guys. Adding an impact middle of the order bat should be our biggest priority this offseason.

Please don't sign Victor Martinez. He's getting older and has no position.

I don't care if he's getting older he can still hit and a short term deal would be fine. I thought he played more 1b the last few years thats why i said that but after doing more research he hasn't played much at all. If he could hold up health wise i could care less about his defense after watching garrett jones. Either way, all I'm saying is we can not go into next year without a significant addition to the middle of the lineup.

I don't care if he's getting older he can still hit and a short term deal would be fine. I thought he played more 1b the last few years thats why i said that but after doing more research he hasn't played much at all. If he could hold up health wise i could care less about his defense after watching garrett jones. Either way, all I'm saying is we can not go into next year without a significant addition to the middle of the lineup.

You're assuming he will sign a short-term deal, an AL team would likely offer more years than any NL team. Health wise, nothing suggests he could hold up over a full season in the field. He can barely hold up as a DH.

You're assuming he will sign a short-term deal, an AL team would likely offer more years than any NL team. Health wise, nothing suggests he could hold up over a full season in the field. He can barely hold up as a DH.

how can he barely hold up as DH? He is on pace to play 145 games for the 4th time in 5 years. Or are you just saying that because he is older and trying to help your point without doing any research?

If this team is serious about increasing payroll to 75 million, I would love to have Victor Martinez.

In theory, his numbers would look great in our lineup. But realistically, really? He would be going to a huge park while aging and be forced to play the field every day. That would be a disaster. I really hope they wouldn't spend money that way. Use that money to lock down Giancarlo, not to sign an aging DH.

how can he barely hold up as DH? He is on pace to play 145 games for the 4th time in 5 years. Or are you just saying that because he is older and trying to help your point without doing any research?

Dude is 35 years old and has been a DH for years. He hasn't had too many health problems the last two years, but I would like to point out that he missed ALL of the 2012 season ENTIRELY. Did you miss that?