Adeiny Hechavarria is a Candidate for a Contract Extension.

SongInTheAir

I am not sure what you thought he meant (I never heard the term) but in the UK, it has no racial or prejudice meaning.

I think snigger is a british variant on snicker or vice versa (I've definitely heard it before).

In fact, thanks dictionary.com

Snicker - a smothered laugh; a snigger.

synonyms: giggle, titter, snigger, chortle, simper

"he could not suppress a snicker"

I think snigger is a british variant on snicker or vice versa (I've definitely heard it before).

In fact, thanks dictionary.com

Snicker - a smothered laugh; a snigger.

synonyms: giggle, titter, snigger, chortle, simper

"he could not suppress a snicker"

Ha!! Yeah, I thought he was saying something totally different. My bad.

I guess I'm the asshole, lol.

lol guys I know he has some work to do but the guy is great defensively (Remember Hanley) and made huge strides at the plate. If he was not batting 7th and 8th all of the time he would likely have more RBI and the park certainly took away 4-5 home runs.

He needs to get the OBP up to about .325 or .330 and steal more bases. Otherwise, I am baffled by the Adeiny hate.

Ha!! Yeah, I thought he was saying something totally different. My bad.

I guess I'm the asshole, lol.

Don't worry about it - I can see how it can be misconstrued. We would never use "Snicker" over here, except when buying chocolate.

If you're ever in the UK, don't forget that if you see a policeman (which may be difficult as our policemen are unarmed) it's traditional to go up to him and call him a "cock-juggling wanker". The policeman should laugh heartily and offer you free accommodation for the night.

lol guys I know he has some work to do but the guy is great defensively (Remember Hanley) and made huge strides at the plate. If he was not batting 7th and 8th all of the time he would likely have more RBI and the park certainly took away 4-5 home runs.

He needs to get the OBP up to about .325 or .330 and steal more bases. Otherwise, I am baffled by the Adeiny hate.

Bro, Hanley was above average defensively in 2008/2009. He was much better those years defensively than the below average Hech has been in his two years here. Hanley's only really bad year defensively was 2007 but who cares because he was such a bad ass offensively.

Hech is really bad just FYI

Furthermore, Hanley was a FAR BETTER SS defensively for the doyers in 2013 than hech was for us. Please don't mention them in the same sentence again or else I will continue to ridicule.

You're 4-5 HR comment is just pure bullshit. I am absolutely baffled by your hech love.

I'm convinced you're the wild card of wild card's.

I wouldn't extend Hech as of yet he has shown progress as a player but not sufficient to commit to him to any extensive period of time. He is definitely not the future at SS for this team...at least I hope he isn't. What is he in the bottom 3rd of the league? He has the job for next year but we need to keep looking to get better

I'm going to take this in a different direction for sake of discussion (please note NOT advocating).

Say the defense tightens up and he partially gets to his projection there, the average is real and he walks another 15-20 times a year here on out, the slugging goes up very modestly (LD rate up this year?) where he is going to hit say 5-8 HR a year and 40+ 2B/3B, and he gets a bit smarter on base paths and steals 10-15 at 70% clip and keeps up his other good work there. That's becoming a normal 2+ WAR player, basically an average starting SS, which is not far from where he is at right now. There is real value there, even if not a "samson all star."

If you believe he can do that (OPS up 100 points this year at a sustainable .329 BABIP...even if still not great overall), this might be a good opportunity to buy low and save a few dollars.

Nothing crazy, but based on where he is at, and his playing time (which is a big indication in arbitration), he's probably making roughly $2-$3.25-$4.5-$5.5 the rest of his club controlled years (4/$15+). If they can sign him for say 6/$18+, with an option for a 7th year (prime years, ages 26-32), that's not breaking the bank if he totally busts, and probably saves the Marlins $5-10 million over the life of the contract, or basically having Mike Dunn in the bullpen ever year. And if he got real good (3+ WAR), highway robbery. Again, you got to really believe Hech is a league average SS 5 years from today to do that, but if it's a small deal like that, I have no problem and won't criticize them. That deal is just so low in money, it doesn't matter, but it could save in the long run. I like the idea of doing those kinds of gambles.

Saying that, absolutely wouldn't do it and make him earn it next year. That's my problem. I don't believe. Still to much risk and Hech isn't the kind of guy to go crazy and hit .330 next year with 10 HR and Simmons defense where a similar deal wouldn't be on the table post 2015. Just musing as it's not exactly a complete LOL. If there is real cost savings - I say go for it.