December 19, 201411 yr GUYS WE CANNOT GIVE UP CASEY MCGEHEE JUST TO GET MADISON BUMGARNER ONLY ONE OF THEM WAS COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR THE SAME ONE THAT HAD MORE RBI GO MARLINS
December 19, 201411 yr As someone else said as I was reading through, definitely something else in the works. We gotta be going for shields, otherwise it is a lateral move (pitching got worse hitting/defense got better). If we do get shields, then I'm allllll for it-forget numbers, dudes a bulldog and a perfect fit. And a side note, I'm happy for jonesy, he should do well in that park lol Shields isn't happening Yeah I'm not really convinced either but something's gotta happen to better the rotation don't you think? What do you feel is more plausible?
December 19, 201411 yr As someone else said as I was reading through, definitely something else in the works. We gotta be going for shields, otherwise it is a lateral move (pitching got worse hitting/defense got better). If we do get shields, then I'm allllll for it-forget numbers, dudes a bulldog and a perfect fit. And a side note, I'm happy for jonesy, he should do well in that park lol Shields isn't happening You buzzkiller! Seriously though, is there more moves to come cuz this is a bit confusing?
December 19, 201411 yr Yeah I'm not really convinced either but something's gotta happen to better the rotation don't you think? What do you feel is more plausible? If Haren goes, they may look for another arm but it is possible they got word from Haren that he's going to pitch.
December 19, 201411 yr You buzzkiller! Seriously though, is there more moves to come cuz this is a bit confusing? Maybe Haren privately told them he's not going to retire
December 19, 201411 yr Prado is definitely an upgrade over McGehee - but losing Eovaldi is a steep price
December 19, 201411 yr This is probably the most interesting offseason the Marlins have had for awhile.
December 19, 201411 yr Prado is a big upgrade over McGehee, as nice as Casey's story was last season, Prado is really good. Hate losing Eo but I feel like he was falling out of favor, plus now that he's in arby years he's gonna start getting expensive. His start to 2014 was so good and then he went back to the frustrating guy getting shelled. Prado for Eo, Phelps for Jones/German. They really just wanted to dump Jones' 5 million. So let's see... dumping 3m (Eo) + 5m (Jones), Yanks paying 3 of Prado's 11m. So this is pretty much even money plus German.
December 19, 201411 yr If Haren has indeed decided to pitch.... (Fernandez) Alvarez Latos Cosart Haren Koehler Phelps Hand Thats still a SOLID stable of 7-8 SPs....maybe add one more serviceable arm. I don't think the Marlins really need to spend the money it would take for Shields.
December 19, 201411 yr I feel like people really overrate Eovaldi and especially McGehee. Happens EVERY trade we make we seem.
December 19, 201411 yr I think that McGehee is a special case, though. People are confusing the BABIP inflated first half for the real McGehee.
December 19, 201411 yr they aren't done with the rotation, absolutely not. Unless Haren is staying. I don't really care for Phelps but we'll see how it shakes out.
December 19, 201411 yr You buzzkiller! Seriously though, is there more moves to come cuz this is a bit confusing? Maybe Haren privately told them he's not going to retire Haren declined to participate in today's new players introduction. He was asked by Mike Hill and declined. I don't see the optimism that he's going to pitch.
December 19, 201411 yr I know it's Kevin Millar but he's hyping up David Phelps on mlbtv right now, saying he's the unsung hero of the trade. says he could get a solid chance with us
December 19, 201411 yr Haren wanted to stay in LA so he could be with him family. take the $10m, lease a house for a year in Miami, pitch for 6 months, win a World Series, and have $6m or whatever to spend on your family. I can't see how he can turn that down.
December 19, 201411 yr You buzzkiller! Seriously though, is there more moves to come cuz this is a bit confusing? Maybe Haren privately told them he's not going to retire Haren declined to participate in today's new players introduction. He was asked by Mike Hill and declined. I don't see the optimism that he's going to pitch. Source?
December 19, 201411 yr You buzzkiller! Seriously though, is there more moves to come cuz this is a bit confusing? Maybe Haren privately told them he's not going to retire I guess that makes sense and its like most of us totally forgot about that possibility.
December 19, 201411 yr You buzzkiller! Seriously though, is there more moves to come cuz this is a bit confusing? Maybe Haren privately told them he's not going to retire Haren declined to participate in today's new players introduction. He was asked by Mike Hill and declined. I don't see the optimism that he's going to pitch. Source? @Manny_Navarro: Mike Hill said #Marlins did invite Dan Haren to be part of new player introduction Friday and he declined.
December 19, 201411 yr wonder what happens with Casey now. Trade? I mean Prado gets 3b you have to assume, if you're giving up Eovaldi.
December 19, 201411 yr You buzzkiller! Seriously though, is there more moves to come cuz this is a bit confusing? Maybe Haren privately told them he's not going to retire Haren declined to participate in today's new players introduction. He was asked by Mike Hill and declined. I don't see the optimism that he's going to pitch. Source? @Manny_Navarro: Mike Hill said #Marlins did invite Dan Haren to be part of new player introduction Friday and he declined. Maybe he had diarrhea?
December 19, 201411 yr I like that the Marlins decided to be forward thinking with McGehee. They probably realize the regression he was due for this year and grabbed a 3B coming off a 4+ WAR season to replace him. I hate to give up Eovaldi at what might be a somewhat low-ish value, and I absolutely HATE HATE HATE trading away Domingo German when I felt he could be the top pitching prospects in our minor league system when this upcoming season was done, but this is yet another sign the front office is going all in this offseason. By unloading Jones' contract and getting $6 million from this trade from the Yankees, they've already paid off half of what is owed in Prado's current contract, so for us it's more like paying $5 million a year the next two years for Prado as opposed to $10 million per. As for Phelps, he's a guy who'll benefit greatly from Marlins Park. Yes his WHIP absolutely sucks the last two years and his ceiling is definitely not as high as Eovaldi's, but he's a guy who could potentially post a mid 3 ERA this season for us as a #5 pitcher. It was probably better to trade Eovaldi now while he still had value as opposed to praying he became useful next season and potentially seeing his stock completely nosedive. Unlike everybody here I don't absolutely despise this trade. Prado is a much better player than McGehee is and his numbers playing for the Yankees in limited time was amazing. Three of the last five seasons Prado has been around a 5 WAR player. When I look at what we traded away, I see Nathan Eovaldi's whose stock is plummeting since 2013 and who I don't see doing all that great in the AL (He let NL hitters bat .282 last season against him. He's gonna die in the AL), we gave away Garrett Jones who wasn't even positioned to be a starter for us next season, and we gave away Domingo German, who's 22 years old and in A ball at the moment. Yes I'm sad we traded German, but in a bubble this is good trade for a team who believes they are in win now mode. It makes the current team better and positions us for a playoff push. Our minor league system is becoming a barren desert, but that can be fixed over a year or two period. At some point the team had to decide to make a playoff push and not play the whole "hopefully our young players come together and win 80 games" crap. I approve of this move.
December 19, 201411 yr Anyone want to make a bet that (if given a similar number of starts) David Phelps puts up comparable numbers to Nathan Eovaldi?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.