What to do when Gordon comes back?

So apparently Cliff Floyd stated on 790 recently that when Dee Gordon comes back from suspension, Derek Dietrich should still start over him considering the numbers he's putting up.

Its going to be a tough decision considering how much money Dee Gordon is making to not play and we all know how much pressure the front office likes to put on management.

Now, I for one agree with Cliff but also think that we could use Gordon in our lineup also.

Here's what I'm proposing that the Marlins should do when the time comes.

Slide either Dietrich or Gordon to short (I know we would take some hit defensively in the infield) and trade Hech for some starter help during the trade deadline.

One problem is that if we were to make the playoffs, Dee Gordon is not allowed to play.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

Unfortunately trading Hech for playoff pitching help doesn't make any sense because of the suspension. Trading Dee himself to a team that plans to compete next year might make sense, but his values gotta be at an all time low. He really screwed the team.

One of the reasons that Dee plays second base is because he wasn't very good a SS.  Also, Hech is not going to net us a top of the rotation arm.  We can acquire a 5th starter without having to give up Hech.  We have one of the best defenses in baseball.  Hech is a big part of that.  

We have like 6 players in our lineup hitting over .300 and we have a very good team OBP.  While we have been mediocre at scoring runs, offense itself  hasn't really been a problem.  The best thing to do is make either Prado or Dietrich a super sub and make sure everyone is rested and healthy.  After all, Mattingly loves to rest his players.  Especially after having big games!

We can't worry about who the Marlins will start in the playoffs. We need to make the playoffs. The playoffs for us starts with a single game. We need to focus on having the best team for the regular season. That said, Dietrich is incapable of playing SS in the big leagues. Dee can play SS, but would be terrible defensively - So bad that his post-PED offense will not be good enough to justify supplanting Hech and his glove. Plus, Hech has been super unlucky with hard hit batted balls, that will even out. Can't trade Dee because his value will be terrible. Can't trade Hech because we need his glove - Our team defense is what saves this brutal rotation. Can't trade Prado because he's too good, is our clubhouse leader and any team dealing for him would be a contender unwilling to deal a quality MLB starting pitcher. Could trade Dietrich - stock is high, young, controllable player who could gets us a quality starting pitcher from a team like the Rays. However, I believe that won't happen either. I think (barring injuries - which we all know are inevitable) that Mattingly will rotate players. One day Hech sits for Dee. One day Dietrich plays 3rd for Prado and Dee plays second. One day Prado plays 1st base and Dietrich 3rd and Dee 2nd. When Dee doesn't start, he could pitch run in key spots. Depth isn't a bad thing. But at least to start, I think this will be the plan. Then at the trade deadline we will reassess. Can't just hand the SS or 2b job over to Dee though.

We can't worry about who the Marlins will start in the playoffs. We need to make the playoffs. The playoffs for us starts with a single game. We need to focus on having the best team for the regular season. That said, Dietrich is incapable of playing SS in the big leagues. Dee can play SS, but would be terrible defensively - So bad that his post-PED offense will not be good enough to justify supplanting Hech and his glove. Plus, Hech has been super unlucky with hard hit batted balls, that will even out. Can't trade Dee because his value will be terrible. Can't trade Hech because we need his glove - Our team defense is what saves this brutal rotation. Can't trade Prado because he's too good, is our clubhouse leader and any team dealing for him would be a contender unwilling to deal a quality MLB starting pitcher. Could trade Dietrich - stock is high, young, controllable player who could gets us a quality starting pitcher from a team like the Rays. However, I believe that won't happen either. I think (barring injuries - which we all know are inevitable) that Mattingly will rotate players. One day Hech sits for Dee. One day Dietrich plays 3rd for Prado and Dee plays second. One day Prado plays 1st base and Dietrich 3rd and Dee 2nd. When Dee doesn't start, he could pitch run in key spots. Depth isn't a bad thing. But at least to start, I think this will be the plan. Then at the trade deadline we will reassess. Can't just hand the SS or 2b job over to Dee though.

Dee will just be coming back right at the deadline if I'm not mistaken.  Possibly longer than that if he isn't allowed to play in the minors until after his suspension.  Not sure what the rules are for that.

In 160 games at SS (mind you many of these games he didn't even start) Dee committed 35 errors. Hech has 14 errors over his last 207. Dee at SS commits 3 times as many errors as Hech. And, the errors are the least impactful issue. Hech's range and arm are so far superior to Dee's. I know there is defensive WAR and other defensive metrics, but from watching the games I am certain that this team would have at least 5 more losses if post-PED Dee had been playing SS over Hech all year, and that includes accounting for their offense. Hech has not only directly saved runs but he has kept pitching arms fresher by ending innings sooner - huge trickle down effect. Defense gets overlooked or at least undervalued. Ask every starter on the Marlins who they'd rather have in the lineup/field for their start and the answer would be unanimous.

In 160 games at SS (mind you many of these games he didn't even start) Dee committed 35 errors. Hech has 14 errors over his last 207. Dee at SS commits 3 times as many errors as Hech. And, the errors are the least impactful issue. Hech's range and arm are so far superior to Dee's. I know there is defensive WAR and other defensive metrics, but from watching the games I am certain that this team would have at least 5 more losses if post-PED Dee had been playing SS over Hech all year, and that includes accounting for their offense. Hech has not only directly saved runs but he has kept pitching arms fresher by ending innings sooner - huge trickle down effect. Defense gets overlooked or at least undervalued. Ask every starter on the Marlins who they'd rather have in the lineup/field for their start and the answer would be unanimous.

Wasn't Dee also a bad 2B before he got to the Marlins?

And guess what, PEDs really work. Dee had an obp % of only .289 this year off the juice. Hech' was higher than that last year and very close so far this year, and they have the same slugging %. So, we need to realize that Dee will not be the Dee we knew last year. Hech is on pace for 70 Ks. Dee was on pace for 130 Ks off the juice. The speed and durability will suffer as well.

Not to be a downer, but I don't think it should matter by 7/30. It will, because this team always overrates its first half performance, but it shouldn't. This team isn't ready to compete and will probably stay at around .500 or the remainder of the season.