Should we sign Chapman or Jansen?

Erick

*THIS ISN'T REALISTIC AND WON'T HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE*

But if you were GM, would you spend on one of these relievers and have a pen of super relievers as it's been done in the postseason? The Marlins have shown a willingness to spend on average SP's so why not spend a similar amount of money on an elite reliever instead?

The starting rotation is a lost cause so they're going to have to start being unconventional if they don't want to finish with the worst ERA in baseball next season. 

I am still completely against spending anything big for closers. I know the market over the past year has started to once again value closers incredibly high due to the emergence of guys like Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman, but I'm still of the mindset that our current squad could be a top tier bullpen with a top tier closer (which was apparent by Ramos making the All Star team).

Look, I know the trend is towards closers. I looked at every division winner this year and they all have the best closers in the league (Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Mark Melancon, Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Miller, and Sam Dyson). 

Maybe I'm by myself in this belief, but I think not only can Ramos handle the closer spot, but I think David Phelps, Kyle Barraclough, and maybe even Nick Wittgren or Brian Ellington could be successful closers in this league. If this team stopped putting its faith in Fernando Rodney, I think the Marlins could have their own top tier closer without having to acquire from outside.

I am still completely against spending anything big for closers. I know the market over the past year has started to once again value closers incredibly high due to the emergence of guys like Andrew Miller and Aroldis Chapman, but I'm still of the mindset that our current squad could be a top tier bullpen with a top tier closer (which was apparent by Ramos making the All Star team).

Look, I know the trend is towards closers. I looked at every division winner this year and they all have the best closers in the league (Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Mark Melancon, Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Miller, and Sam Dyson). 

Maybe I'm by myself in this belief, but I think not only can Ramos handle the closer spot, but I think David Phelps, Kyle Barraclough, and maybe even Nick Wittgren or Brian Ellington could be successful closers in this league. If this team stopped putting its faith in Fernando Rodney, I think the Marlins could have their own top tier closer without having to acquire from outside.

It's not really about a closer. It's about having great bullpen depth to hide our greatest weakness which is currently starting pitching. And the SP market, once again, is going to suck.

I think it would be a bad idea to invest in a reliever like Chapman. That's a kind of move that a team like the Cubs or Indians make when they already have a solid rotation and solid team overall. It's more of a luxury.

I agree that a good bullpen can mask the weaknesses of a poor rotation, but in the case of the Marlins where Conley or Chen is arguably their "ace" I can't really see how Chapman would be able to make a difference.

A team like the Marlins needs to be developing their own relievers and trading them for a ransom. They could have done that with Carter Capps, but Mike Hill is a total dumbass and traded Capps for a pile of facial pubes.

Make em all 2-3 inning relievers and sign em all. Then every 3rd or 4rth game or so we rotate 3-4 relievers to pitch that game. We have no starters anyways, why not just go all out relief? Have 10-12 relievers and no starters and patch up each game based on the relievers scheduled for that day. Each pitcher goes for ~30 pitches limit.