Fox Sports dumps Waltz, Preston, Conine

Marlins Phenom

“After a thorough review of our Marlins telecasts, we have decided to make changes with the broadcast talent for the coming season,” Fox said in a statement. “We feel that this is the right time to make a change, and we’ve shared our decision with the team. We thank Rich, Jeff and Preston for the hard work and dedication they brought to the broadcast and wish them the very best.”

...statement from FSN, they also made it clear this was their move and not the Marlins' move. Still seems odd to think there was ever gonna be a time to move on from Rich Waltz. 

Kind of bizarre. I wonder if this is because of new ownership pressure like it was with Hutton.

It's a shame because Waltz was good at injecting entertainment value into a team that has been scarcely entertaining to watch.

Coincidentally, Hutton also got canned right before Thanksgiving.

Could totally be a PR move but FSN is being pretty upfront with making it sound like this was not a move made by the Marlins. Could be a strategic move after the backlash when Hutton was fired. Maybe they wanted to avoid that bullet before it came up, though I'm sure it still will. 

If it's not ownership pressure, you have to think Waltz was starting to get too expensive in their view.

that's my thinking.  next year would have been his 14th year as broadcaster.  Probably making a significant amount for a team that doesnt get any ratings, even if it's not his fault.

Could totally be a PR move but FSN is being pretty upfront with making it sound like this was not a move made by the Marlins. Could be a strategic move after the backlash when Hutton was fired. Maybe they wanted to avoid that bullet before it came up, though I'm sure it still will. 

Ya already have seen multiple people blame Jeter.

It's selfish of us but I think having the same broadcaster for over a dozen years really gives the fans a connection with them and I think that's the biggest loss here. Even if the next guy is good there was the feeling that Waltz, and Hutton as well, were part of the team and, I hope I'm not alone on this one, but part of "my viewing party." Like I didn't feel like I was watching a game that Rich was calling, I felt like I was watching a game WITH Rich. The next guy is gonna have that Al Leiter effect of sounding like he knows nothing personal and is learning the team on the job. It's gonna suck. 

I might be misrembering but I seem to recall Fox taking the fall for the Hutton firing but it eventually came out that the team influenced it because of the player complaints.

That's how I remember it too. Fox did the firing but with team influence. But when Hutton was fired the team never once said "this had nothing to do with the team." Yet this time they're doing that for day one. Again, it could be a PR move but it could also be true and thus their thinking is "since its true, let's mention this immediately to avoid the same backlash."