Why has Derek Jeter received so much hate?

Erick

I'm not insulted. I just expected more from you when I was looking for an intelligent discussion after I took the time to explain in my opinion why Jeter has been a disappoint thus far.

I don't think your opinion makes much sense. I expected more from you than to criticize things that seem rather irrelevant (like letting go of 3 employees).

I also have no idea what you were trying to point out with the Samson/entertainment comment to be honest. 

1. Samson was terrible (as you pointed out).

2. What type of positive entertaining things would you like this ownership group to provide? Normally, the most entertaining thing about following a baseball team is when you get to watch it win. That's why most people go to games. 

You seem to be missing out on the fact that, PR wise, it was IMPOSSIBLE for this ownership group to come in and garner positive press considering the circumstances. They made it clear they wanted to sell...that, itself, was all this fanbase (or any fanbase really) needs to start knocking a front office. 

Most of these criticisms are either unwarranted or irrelevant to the bottom line. I'll leave out the political analogies from now on if you want. 

Erick is a good guy.  Obviously loves the Marlins and he’s very knowledgeable about the Marlins.

But this thread title is like asking, Why Does It Get Brighter Outside When The Sun Comes Up?

This ownership group has literally made 2 baseball moves (3 counting the first minor trade that I doubt anyone hated).

Is there something about the Dee Gordon or Giancarlo Stanton trade that you really hated? Like the value we got back? Not the fact they were actually traded because it’s been established that any owner would’ve slashed salary.

Just wondering.

What’s been so awful so far about the baseball moves? Or are you also upset that Andre Dawson is no longer with us?

It just seems like people are mad at this ownership group for things Loria did. Trust me, I wish Giancarlo Stanton was still here too. Maybe he would still be here if Loria hadn’t fucked up the team so badly. 

Dude there's a direct quote of him, while they were shopping Stanton, saying he hasn't talked to him and doesn't need to.

Save the BS. It's not a lie spread by the media. 

Stanton himself said yesterday that they did meet at some point.  However, it almost seemed like they met and Jeter gave him an ultimatum.  That's just my take from Stantons press conference. 

Also, I don't think the media lied.  They didn't meet early on and Jeter himself is responsible for that narrative because he was quoted as saying "an owner doesn't need to speak to a player directly about trades ".  I'm paraphrasing the quote .

Jeter has been smug and arrogant through the whole process since the sale closed.  That's a major part of the PR problem he has.  It's self inflicted.

Mostly because its the Marlins and most sports writers are intellectually lazy because no one is going to actually rebut their articles that tear apart the Marlins organization for anything they do.

If Derek Jeter can get rid of these clown uniforms and clown aspects of the new ball park, and at least give this team the appearance of professionalism, he's already done a better job than Loria.

I do agree that Jeter should be doing more to try and fix the negatives about him in the media. But then again if he was out there talking more and defending himself with cliched lines many people would just dismiss it as generic public relations talk. So in that case who can blame him for just sitting back and doing things quietly and hoping that eventually the results of his actions speak for themselves? 

Also, the Marlins need to be doing what they can now to boost attendance, no matter how insignificant it might seem to you. They can't wait to have 4-5 seasons of contention for Miami finally to care. If Jeter had his shit together he would try to be more attentive to PR and avoid gaffes because this stuff matters when the franchise is gutting everybody on the roster and is still a few years from being rebuilt.

If you have the mindset of "nothing matters besides winning" I think you are being short-sighted and a bit naive about the scope of everything.

I don't like Loria, but he actually did try various things to get people to the ball park.  What is Jeter golng to do besides win that hasn't already been tried to attract fans?  The "fans" are most directly responsible for the terrible financial situation of this team and the resulting moves.  Miami will never really support this team.  There will always be an excuse not to go to the ball park.

I don't like Loria, but he actually did try various things to get people to the ball park.  What is Jeter golng to do besides win that hasn't already been tried to attract fans?  The "fans" are most directly responsible for the terrible financial situation of this team and the resulting moves.  Miami will never really support this team.  There will always be an excuse not to go to the ball park.

If Loria actually tried things to get fans in then I'm sure Jeter can try things too. There hasn't been a single game played under Jeter's ownership yet so we'll just have to wait and see how the fans support this team or not. 

There is nothing Jeter can say that will smooth things over with the angry fans at this time.

bingo.  He talks and explains that we are rebuilding and he gets crucified.  He doesnt talk and he gets crucified.  It's pretty obvious theres nothing he can do to win over certain fans who wanted us to bring back a mediocre team.

1. They talked.

2. He didn't really need to have a discussion with him, he's right. Both sides were pretty clear about what they wanted to do. What's the point of the discussion? 

I'm aware that they talked. I never said they didn't ultimately. I said Derek Jeter claimed they didn't have to. It wasn't until late in the process...

Why do they have to? First of all, it's respect to the player. Believe it or not, they're people. Second, it impacts the way your team can negotiate. It also impacts which negotiations are a total waste of time.

Instead of giving a player an ultimatum, why not just be real with them?  

Also, the Marlins need to be doing what they can now to boost attendance, no matter how insignificant it might seem to you. They can't wait to have 4-5 seasons of contention for Miami finally to care. If Jeter had his shit together he would try to be more attentive to PR and avoid gaffes because this stuff matters when the franchise is gutting everybody on the roster and is still a few years from being rebuilt.

If you have the mindset of "nothing matters besides winning" I think you are being short-sighted and a bit naive about the scope of everything.

Ok, how do they do that?

I'm aware that they talked. I never said they didn't ultimately. I said Derek Jeter claimed they didn't have to. It wasn't until late in the process...

Why do they have to? First of all, it's respect to the player. Believe it or not, they're people. Second, it impacts the way your team can negotiate. It also impacts which negotiations are a total waste of time.

Instead of giving a player an ultimatum, why not just be real with them?  

Again, Brian Sabean came out and said that his only regret in the negotiations was that Stanton's agent wasn't clear with him. What makes you think Stanton was clearly in the right? Because he said so?

The Marlins were real. They told Stanton they were going to subtract. Stanton was real when he said that he didn't want to be a part of a rebuild. Seems like both sides were rather real. Not sure what else they were supposed to do. 

1) Wrong. He spoke with him at the very beginning and told him the plan is to rebuild. That is when Stanton asked to be traded.

2) He provided a list to Jeter and Mike Hill. They contacted the 4 teams and none wanted him so they looked into deals with other teams. Only at the end did the Yanks show interest.

3) Stanton requested a deal and the 4 teams he had wanted didn't want him. So Jeter told him if you reject these 2 that want you, you'll be stuck here. Not a threat or ultimatum but what appeared to be realism.

Seriously, at the time, that could've been the only realistic scenario and Stanton probably took it the wrong way. In the end, the Yankees were the only team willing to make a deal, and the Yankees, at one point, were apparently offering less than what they ended up offering.

Maybe the Marlins front office truly felt that they wouldn't give up Stanton at one point, and they'd just trade the rest of the team instead. 

Matthew Pouliot‏Verified account @matthewpouliot 13s14 seconds ago

More

The really is remarkable, though. The @Marlins made the biggest trade of the offseason and crickets... never so much as tweeted the press release. Even though Jeter was thrilled with the return!

Newest thing to criticize the front office over is that they havent tweeted anything about the Stanton trade.  Despite the fact that our entire front office has commented on the trade, now they also have to tweet something about the trade too!  As if it wont immediately be met with snarky comments by everyone who is calling for them to tweet something out about the trade.

Newest thing to criticize the front office over is that they havent tweeted anything about the Stanton trade.  Despite the fact that our entire front office has commented on the trade, now they also have to tweet something about the trade too!  As if it wont immediately be met with snarky comments by everyone who is calling for them to tweet something out about the trade.

Their media relations department tweeted it out yesterday morning. Its up to the media to then share the story which they did.

Too many people get verified that don't deserve it.

LOL

1) Wrong. He spoke with him at the very beginning and told him the plan is to rebuild. That is when Stanton asked to be traded.

2) He provided a list to Jeter and Mike Hill. They contacted the 4 teams and none wanted him so they looked into deals with other teams. Only at the end did the Yanks show interest.

3) Stanton requested a deal and the 4 teams he had wanted didn't want him. So Jeter told him if you reject these 2 that want you, you'll be stuck here. Not a threat or ultimatum but what appeared to be realism.

Dude you can't just make a narrative up. Literally everybody in the middle of November had an article out claiming Jeter had yet to speak to Stanton. He's quoted for saying "I will if it's necessary" or something along those lines.

And there's a difference between owner talking to player and GM talking to agent. 

You know what I think is funny too... how Jeter always hinted a rebuild and a Stanton trade were coming and he specifically said payroll needed to be slashed.... yet suddenly the last few days everyone is up in arms and in shock that these things were done. Should have paid attention from day one if you actually cared. 

The Marlins were robbed blindly in this trade. The fact that they are paying conditional salary and are left with figuring out Starlin Castro says a lot. Starlin Castro has a lot more trade value from the Yankees versus from our firesale angle. 

Jeter is a moron and he kept a moron as GM. Stanton was a hard player to get lots of value for with his contract, but make no mistake, the Marlins lost this trade badly.

The Marlins were robbed blindly in this trade. The fact that they are paying conditional salary and are left with figuring out Starlin Castro says a lot. Starlin Castro has a lot more trade value from the Yankees versus from our firesale angle. 

Jeter is a moron and he kept a moron as GM. Stanton was a hard player to get lots of value for with his contract, but make no mistake, the Marlins lost this trade badly.

There was no way to “win” such a trade from a talent standpoint.

We were forced to trade a generational talent and had no leverage.