Miami Marlins' Fans 2018 New Year's Resolutions

SilverBullet

Outsiders who say Miami has the shittiest and most disloyal fans... are ending up right.

I hate those idiots that focus on Miami fan base. All the cities with major teams goes thru the same. Nationals fans didn't fill up their stadium even thought they were in 1st place all year long. Phillies fill up the stadium during their WS's run, look at them now.

Many cities go through bad attendance when their team is bad but what Miami and the Marlins lack is that core fanbase that loves their team even through the bad times. Several teams do have that though admittedly not all do. In Miami it's almost like people won't even admit they're fans if the team isn't winning. People act like they despise the team. I know they're the extreme example but Cubs fans were Cubs fans even through their century long drought. 

There is no baseball tradition in Miami. Until this team is a contender for more than once every decade, no one is going to stick through the hard times.

Completely agree.

I live in metro-Atlanta, and this is Braves country, no question.  While they haven't had stellar attendance the past couple of years, the '90s bred an entire generation of die-hard fans.  The Marlins have a handful of loyal fans but mostly bandwagoners.  There has to be a generation of competitiveness/winning if we ever want that sort of following.

• that is because no fan base has taken our roller coaster rides..we are also now working on our second generation of new fans..the braves have been in Atlanta for 6 decades?  the braves have been around for over a century.  you can't compare with us..

The Braves were a .500 (and mostly worse) ball club for their first 30 years in Atlanta.  That seems like they were right about where we are now, 25 years in.

The Braves, aside from the few bright spots in history (Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, etc.), they weren't anything special until the 90's.

Gotta agree with cYoung mostly. I watched the Braves every day during years of summer vacations with my grandparents (approx. '78-'85). 

Braves got to ATL in '69, and they won their division that year. The early 80's teams were pretty good- they made the playoffs in '82 and came close in '83. After a couple of boneheaded moves, they fell apart. They had 6 years in the wilderness (pretty much the 80s version of "full Astros"), but they put together a pitching staff via the farm (Glavine) and trade (Smoltz) and in '91 they were suddenly a perennial playoff team.

However, it's also true that Braves attendance has been awful unless they were winning. It only seems good because they won for a very long time. Before last year, they were 11th, 13th and 12th in the league in attendance. Last year, in a brand new park, they were all the way up to 8th. Very similar to us, and they don't have Jeffrey Loria as an owner. We don't anymore either, though Sherman/Jeter haven't been an improvement just yet...

The Braves didn't really sustain their winning until the 90s but don't discount what the first 30 or so years meant to the city as far as growing a generation of fans. The fans who were under 40 years old in the 90s all grew up having the Braves in town and that means something to them even if they don't remember decades of great teams. 

In South Florida it's way harder to get the stubborn adults but kids in Miami from the 90s to now will more easily support the next great Marlins teams even with all the fire sales, bad publicity, and overall down years. 

I've worked directly with kids here for almost 18 years now so I've seen this directly. They all recognize the Marlins and say "oh I like the Marlins! I've been to some games, it was fun!" ...they don't talk about the crap we have to suffer though. As they get older they'll learn more about the crap but again, once the next great Marlins teams come along, these kids will easily jump aboard. 

This will be my 23rd year as Marlins fan and the first year in a looooooooong time that I don't buy MLB.TV. It was a slow ass kicking but the Marlins have done their best to completely beat me down and desensitize myself from baseball. Didn't think it was a remote possibility but here we are.

Sometimes I wish 12 year old Iowa didn't become a marlins fan

Marlins attendance is not a fanbase problem. It's a badly run franchise problem. You can't expect people just to come out no matter what. Some fans are like that, and good for them, but it's ok if a fan doesn't want to pay to see a bunch of crap consistently throw at them. A player's good season here, a World Series then a firesale there, that's not good enough. There's got to be a reason, a blip here and there is not a good enough reason. Not a good enough reason to be able to build a whole entire fanbase. The Marlins don't have the history other franchises have that built the fanbases in the first place, what I've talked about is all the Marlins have had.