Is there any rational explanation for why Chen still hasnt gotten the surgery?

fish20

Frisaro in a reply to someone commenting on one of his tweets said that Chen is nowhere near ready right now and wont be ready for opening day with the same fucking issue he's had for going on the 3rd year.  If he would have gotten the surgery the second he needed it he would be nearly a year removed from returning from TJ surgery and we might have been able to make a playoff run last year with another quality SP.  Now, yet again, he is feeling elbow discomfort and still is trying to do the rehab thing.  How is this still going on 2 years later.  He literally suffered this initial injury nearly 6 months before Jose died.  Is there anything the team can do to make him get the surgery or is this just a guy who is gonna make his money and not make an effort to come back?  Ive always been a pro-player guy in almost all scenarios, but this is flat out ridiculous at this point.

This is something I have mentioned previously. Judging from the information I have read he is perhaps the most selfish player I have ever seen. Not only is his money guaranteed but he insists on not having surgery. I understand waiting the first time but when it came up again last season there was no reason to not have surgery. He could have been 6-8 months into TJ recovery at this point and hopefully primed to help this team for the final 2.5 years of his deal. Guess not. 

If a player got the right to reject any surgery that needed and would continue to get paid then everybody would do it and not only "Chen" would do it.

Absolutely not-Most athletes do whatever they can to correct an injury and want to earn what they are paid for.  Of course, this excludes doing anything that is a serious health risk but the majority of surgical procedures are designed to at least allow an athlete to perform his/her best.  The average person can forgo a knee procedure or a rotator cuff surgery and rehab it sufficiently to go on with their lives, but an elite athlete often needs to do more if they want to continue to play at the level necessary.  This appears to be the Chen factor.

I don't think Chen has ever been advised to get TJ surgery. Seems to be the opposite actually. Would it be best to have the surgery? Of course it would be. But, to the best of my knowledge, all the doctors have told him so far is that resting it should be enough. I think it would be a bigger problem if he had been told to have the surgery and flat out rejected but I don't believe that's happened.