Why was the 2006 rebuild so much better than the 2018 one?

MarlinsFanJeff

This 2018 campaign has been painful to watch thus far. 

Let's travel back to 2005-2006, another time in which the Marlins rebuilt following a disappointing season where they were expected to compete, if not win it all.

Arguably, that rebuild was even wider in scope than the one we witnessed this past offseason. 

And, yet, the Marlins winded up posting gaudy offensive numbers:

Uggla - 27 HRs and 90 RBIs

Cabrera - 26 HRs and 114 RBIs

Jacobs- 20 HRs and 77 RBIs

Willingham - 26 HRs and 74 RBIs

Hanley - 17 HRs and 59 RBIs

Cody Ross had 11 HRs. Borchard and Helms each had 10.

The Marlins were 14th in the majors in HRs. The 2005 Marlins finished 28th. 

Why was the offense so good after that rebuild? Why is it so crappy after this one?

Did we have better picks/a more robust farm system then?

I remember that team being in the hunt for the playoffs before fizzling out toward the end. I'm not sure anyone expected them to be that good -- or did they?

I know it's early in the season, but I don't see the 2018 Marlins coming anywhere near those 2006 numbers. 

1) You started off with a superstar and hall of fame player in miguel Cabrera and didnt still have a fan favorite and still a quality pitcher in Dontrelle.

2) You started off with other home grown talent that was ML ready and more ML ready talent that was either already in the system or acquired in the trades (WIllingham, Josh Johnson, Olsen, Hermida, Hanley, Uggla, Anibal, Nolasco, Jacobs)

3) 2006 was a firesale of the major league roster but it didnt also come after a 5 year purging of any minor league talent.  This years purging of major league talent was mostly because we had no organizational depth and spent the last 2 offseasons signing bad-mediocre major leaguers more than the salary reasons for the guys we traded.

Beckett, Lowell, Pierre, Castillo, and whoever else we traded didn't have monster contracts like Stanton and to a lesser extent Dee. We were able to actually get talent back for them and build around Miggy and Dontrelle. We've also been purging our minor leagues of all its talent the past few years. Last but not least Beinfest >>>>>> Hill. Hill is a clown.

This is going to take a while.   The farm has been raised from dead last to slightly below average.  The I don’t think you can exaggerate the damage done to the talent depth over the last several years.  Everything that has been done this past winter wasn’t done to bring in major league ready guys for 2018.  It was to bring talent back into all levels of the system and unload contracts that people were willing to take on.  Even the most brilliant baseball minds of our time would need time to fix the 2017 Marlins. 

This team right now would more closely resemble the 2013 squad rather than the 98 - 99 teams. The 2013 team had Stanton who got hurt a couple times that year and Jose Fernandez who was just starting to pitch. Later on in the year Ozuna and Yelich came up.

I think if our guys develop properly you will see more an improvement in the latter part of the year.

If you look at guys drafted by the marlins and traded to other teams, and imagined the marlins had just sat still at the deadline. all of the deadlines we actually wouldn't have had to dump any of those players. We traded our top hitting prospect and our best pitching prospect to san diego for half a season of Cashner, Oh yeah, and we traded our most promising pitching prospect, not name jose, to Cincinnati for a guy we ended up DFA'ing (mat latos). The list goes on. We haven't made a worthwhile trade since honestly the 2006 trade. That's why we suck now. 

If you look at guys drafted by the marlins and traded to other teams, and imagined the marlins had just sat still at the deadline. all of the deadlines we actually wouldn't have had to dump any of those players. We traded our top hitting prospect and our best pitching prospect to san diego for half a season of Cashner, Oh yeah, and we traded our most promising pitching prospect, not name jose, to Cincinnati for a guy we ended up DFA'ing (mat latos). The list goes on. We haven't made a worthwhile trade since honestly the 2006 trade. That's why we suck now. 

This is pretty accurate. 

3) 2006 was a firesale of the major league roster but it didnt also come after a 5 year purging of any minor league talent.  This years purging of major league talent was mostly because we had no organizational depth and spent the last 2 offseasons signing bad-mediocre major leaguers more than the salary reasons for the guys we traded.

And that's why they should definitely trade Realmuto if the right offer comes along. They need a lot more talent.

Do you think this team is on pace to finish just as poorly as the dreadful '98 and '99 teams, which lost close to/more than 100 games?

This team is very reminiscent of the 98 team. A lot of guys starting at the MLB level who are AAA or below talent level.

In 2006, the team began a run that lasted 6-7 years of constantly churning out quality players that they had developed or acquired from other teams.

As mentioned, the farm system coming into the most recent firesale was pretty barren minus an injured Braxton Garrett. Whereas back then, even after the veterans got dealt, they had guys ready to step right in and actually put up good numbers. Now, the Cabrera trade was a total fiasco, but when they traded Lowell and Beckett they got back Hanley, who won a batting title and performed well for about 6 years before he was traded.

If they cant convince him to re-sign then yes, 100%.

He's under team control for several more years. He is not even close to an immediate issue. I think they would have traded him in the offseason had the Marlins not weakened their negotiating position by selling off players for pennies on the dollar. From what I had heard, the Nats balked at the Marlins wanting someone like Robles for Realmuto, and wouldn't even part with their #2 prospect Juan Soto either. If they really insist on trading him, he will command more at the trade deadline.

Can’t take this shit staff on the road. Ought to banned from leaving Miami. 

Hope JT can be convinced to stay with long term above market deal. No way do I trust the return we’d get for him. Early glimpse on fire sale returns we got playing in AAA and AA is that they all pretty much suck. Realize it’s early though, but it would have been nice to at least see one of them excelling from the start. Would have eased  some of the present gloom at least.

Can’t take this shit staff on the road. Ought to banned from leaving Miami. 

Hope JT can be convinced to stay with long term above market deal. No way do I trust the return we’d get for him. Early glimpse on fire sale returns we got playing in AAA and AA is that they all pretty much suck. Realize it’s early though, but it would have been nice to at least see one of them excelling from the start. Would have eased  some of the present gloom at least.

yeah, it's pretty amazing that literally all prospects received back have pretty much sucked and this was from giving up a very productive outfield, including 2 guys that were still pretty cheap. 

Cleveland bottomed out after 2012 and they fired Acta to bring in Francona.  Some guys they shipped out like Kotchman and Cabrera.  They kept Santana around.  He turned 26 that season.  JT is 27.  I think you could make a good case for keeping him on to work with the staff. Particularly someone like Alcantara or Garcia.   I could see it from the other POV too of going all in on bringing pieces in. 

It’s not even May guys.   You can’t write off all these trades as garbage.   It doesn’t work that way 

yeah, it's pretty amazing that literally all prospects received back have pretty much sucked and this was from giving up a very productive outfield, including 2 guys that were still pretty cheap. 

I hated the fire sale too but it is ridiculous to write them off after a few weeks.