Elieser Hernandez

It's pretty concerning that the our new front office apparently thinks this guy is good enough to draft in the Rule V and keep on the roster all year. 

This isn't how it works. They need to pick guys like this and then give them the whole year to verify if he's worth keeping. They don't know when they draft these guys if they'll be good or not. The whole point is to take a gamble on an underused minor leaguer. It doesn't always work out. 

This isn't how it works. They need to pick guys like this and then give them the whole year to verify if he's worth keeping. They don't know when they draft these guys if they'll be good or not. The whole point is to take a gamble on an underused minor leaguer. It doesn't always work out. 

The point is he doesn’t have a plus pitch from what I can see. 

These guys are scouted before they’re taken in the Rule V.

The point is he is 22. and he isn't without positives. There are many 22 year olds we could put into our starting rotation or hell our bullpen and be terrible, but in 2 years are great. We are leaving him in the show so that he can be in our organization long term. He could be worse and he would still be in the show. The perspective is when he goes down to lower leagues next year he will learn how to pitch. essential we are trading for a bad 22 year season to have him in our organization going forward.

The point is he is 22. and he isn't without positives. There are many 22 year olds we could put into our starting rotation or hell our bullpen and be terrible, but in 2 years are great. We are leaving him in the show so that he can be in our organization long term. He could be worse and he would still be in the show. The perspective is when he goes down to lower leagues next year he will learn how to pitch. essential we are trading for a bad 22 year season to have him in our organization going forward.

Is he suddenly going to learn to throw more than 90 mph? 

I didn't realize his stuff was that bad. He is still 22?

So are a lot of guys in the minor leagues...doesn’t mean they’re good. 

I get the “it’s a lost season so we have nothing to lose” argument, but my point is that we’re wasting our time with a guy who has limited potential.

Anyone who’s watched him pitch this year knows he’s nothing special, and it has nothing to do with his results.

For example, Tayron Guerrero isn’t good either, but he’s a guy who’s at least shown flashes. Age is rather irrelevant without context.

So are a lot of guys in the minor leagues...doesn’t mean they’re good. 

I get the “it’s a lost season so we have nothing to lose” argument, but my point is that we’re wasting our time with a guy who has limited potential.

Anyone who’s watched him pitch this year knows he’s nothing special, and it has nothing to do with his results.

For example, Tayron Guerrero isn’t good either, but he’s a guy who’s at least shown flashes. Age is rather irrelevant without context.

Baseball savant thinks he has been unlucky. So he isn't as bad as his numbers have been.

Regardless, your argument seems valid, but who would you bring up that would be so much better? Javy Guerra? Jumbo Diaz?

I think Jose Quijada needs more innings in triple A. Zac Gallen would be a waste to send up yet. I don't think its a huge mistake to keep a 22 year old in our organization for free.

Baseball savant thinks he has been unlucky. So he isn't as bad as his numbers have been.

Regardless, your argument seems valid, but who would you bring up that would be so much better? Javy Guerra? Jumbo Diaz?

I think Jose Quijada needs more innings in triple A. Zac Gallen would be a waste to send up yet. I don't think its a huge mistake to keep a 22 year old in our organization for free.

Guerra still perfect in 3A,not against to give him one more chance.

Yeah assholes, next time I want a top prospect taken in the Rule V draft, they are definitely left unprotected all the time.

Taking guys in the Rule V makes sense for a rebuilding club, but I guess fans will find anything and everything to complain about.

I better shut up before I'm called the negativity police again though.

Yeah assholes, next time I want a top prospect taken in the Rule V draft, they are definitely left unprotected all the time.

Taking guys in the Rule V makes sense for a rebuilding club, but I guess fans will find anything and everything to complain about.

I better shut up before I'm called the negativity police again though.

Hernandez is shit

He's been awful yes, never said he hasn't been. But it isn't like they had an obvious great choice available to them and took him instead. They took a shot, it didn't work out apparently.

Take a guy who throws hard or has a plus pitch at least. 

It would be really lucky to pick up the good players like Uggla and Bour in the rule V.

Yeah players are left unprotected for a reason. You're not going to get an obviously great talent via Rule V. It is about trying a guy out and hoping he clicks with very little risk involved.

Yeah players are left unprotected for a reason. You're not going to get an obviously great talent via Rule V. It is about trying a guy out and hoping he clicks with very little risk involved.

I think this draft system was more of give these players a different environment to restart their career.

I agree.  They usually have a least one plus tool and that's why teams take a flier on them.  I don't see one plus pitch with Hernandez.  At least Graves throws 95 MPH.  Hernandez tops out at 92.  I know we have nothing to lose but we could at least give another young guy an opportunity.