Marlins trade Ziegler to D-Backs for Tommy Eveld

SilverBullet

If this team have no choice but to trade Ziegler,I doubt the return would be good even it was handled by Denbo.

What do you mean by "has no choice"?  Ziegler has been fantastic in a middle relier/situational role.  He was obviously left in the closer role as long as he was because a successful closer is more valuable than a situational reliever, however it just didn't pan out.  Everything they've done with him this year is to try to make him as valuable as possible.

It would be foolish not to trade him, and any return is a win.  He has pitched well enough in a situational role that we should see some sort of return.  Either way, win for the Marlins.

Remember, in May we wouldn't have been able to pay somebody to take him off of our hands.

If you report every possible scenario, your definitely going to be right.  Who care how many times you were wrong, right?!?!

Chris Broussaurd and his "sauces" proved it doesn't matter who was right.... just who was first.

Reporting has become an instagram comments section.

What do you mean by "has no choice"?  Ziegler has been fantastic in a middle relier/situational role.  He was obviously left in the closer role as long as he was because a successful closer is more valuable than a situational reliever, however it just didn't pan out.  Everything they've done with him this year is to try to make him as valuable as possible.

It would be foolish not to trade him, and any return is a win.  He has pitched well enough in a situational role that we should see some sort of return.  Either way, win for the Marlins.

Remember, in May we wouldn't have been able to pay somebody to take him off of our hands.

He's over played his contract these last few months. TBH, he's been a good soldier for this team, and as a vet he deserves one more chance to go to a contending team and try to earn a ring.

I'm sure Hill and Jeter are getting his input where he wants to go, and if a team is willing to eat his salary- he's going for sure. If we have to eat some of his salary, I'm sure he's going where we want.

He's a baseball nut, he's probably relishing the opportunity to pitch as a Cub in Wrigley or maybe go back to Fenway for a playoff chase.... or even end up breaking the WS drought in CLE.

My money is on him and Deets being packaged and sent to Cleveland.

"Is close" and "is not close" back to back from the same damn reporter. How are we supposed to believe rumors when even the same guy can't decide which it is?

It's listening to more than one source with opposite viewpoints and then reporting both without waiting to see which is most accurate. In a weird way they could both have truth behind them. What a world. Imagine major events in world history being reported the way we get news today? 

Considering they were expected to lose 100+ games, it is hard to call it a disappointing season. It all depends what your personal expectations for the season coming in were. I guess you expected a .500 team?

No I expected them to be leading the way to the first overall pick in the draft after the dismantling, but they've even managed to screw that up

BTW the Cleveland Indians should have about 1 million left in international money. We need to stock up in order to sign Victor Victor Mesa. The Oriels and Yankees will be our biggest competition. If there’s money left after signing Victor Victor, try signing his brother Victor and/or Sandy Gaston.

No I expected them to be leading the way to the first overall pick in the draft after the dismantling, but they've even managed to screw that up

I see this around here from time to time and I don’t agree.  In my opinion you’re over-valuing the first pick overall.  Baseball rebuilds aren’t heavily reliant upon picking high in round one.  They’re nice to have if you are lucky enough to pick first in a year when there is a generational talent, but that happens very seldom. 

A few notes from MLBTR:

-The Yankees have been in touch with the Marlins about both Cameron Maybin and Ziegler, reports Mark Feinsand of MLB.com (Twitter links). New York has reportedly been eyeing an extra outfielder with Aaron Judge and Clint Frazier on the DL, and Maybin would fit that bill, while Ziegler would further deepen an already solid ’pen by giving them a strong weapon against right-handed opponents.

-The Cubs do not have an agreement in place with the Marlins, but they remain the front-runner to land his services, per MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro. However, other teams remain in the mix to acquire him, per Frisaro, who notes that the Indians, Red Sox, Dodgers and Astros have all scouted Ziegler in recent weeks.

-USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that the Cubs are indeed expected to land a reliever today and are engaged with the Marlins in trade talks surrounding Ziegler (Twitter link).

-SiriusXM’s Craig Mish tweets that the Indians are still in the picture for Ziegler as well. Mish also suggested last night that the Marlins are aiming to move Ziegler to a team that can absorb the remaining money on his contract (roughly $2.95MM, as previously noted above) and also has international bonus pool money to spare. Miami was connected last week to top international prospect Victor Victor Mesa (per MASNsports.com’s Byron Kerr, on Twitter), so it’d be reasonable to see the Fish try to boost their pool as teams await Mesa to be cleared for free agency by MLB.

A few notes from MLBTR:

-The Yankees have been in touch with the Marlins about both Cameron Maybin and Ziegler, reports Mark Feinsand of MLB.com (Twitter links). New York has reportedly been eyeing an extra outfielder with Aaron Judge and Clint Frazier on the DL, and Maybin would fit that bill, while Ziegler would further deepen an already solid ’pen by giving them a strong weapon against right-handed opponents.

-The Cubs do not have an agreement in place with the Marlins, but they remain the front-runner to land his services, per MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro. However, other teams remain in the mix to acquire him, per Frisaro, who notes that the Indians, Red Sox, Dodgers and Astros have all scouted Ziegler in recent weeks.

-USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that the Cubs are indeed expected to land a reliever today and are engaged with the Marlins in trade talks surrounding Ziegler (Twitter link).

-SiriusXM’s Craig Mish tweets that the Indians are still in the picture for Ziegler as well. Mish also suggested last night that the Marlins are aiming to move Ziegler to a team that can absorb the remaining money on his contract (roughly $2.95MM, as previously noted above) and also has international bonus pool money to spare. Miami was connected last week to top international prospect Victor Victor Mesa (per MASNsports.com’s Byron Kerr, on Twitter), so it’d be reasonable to see the Fish try to boost their pool as teams await Mesa to be cleared for free agency by MLB.

That’s stupid! I say eat the money and maximize your player/pool money return. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.