Brian Anderson compared to other NL rookies

SilverBullet

The fact that Acuna hasn’t played all year doesn’t matter when he’s hit 19 HR with a .571 SLG and a .918 OPS while playing CF for 2 months plus (good enough for 2.8 WAR in those 69 games). If he maintains anything close to that pace Anderson has no shot at ROY. Qualifying only counts for batting average leaders so it’s pretty misleading for them to say he’s got the best stats. The sad thing is he’s been basically our only bright spot (other than JT) and he’s nowhere near good enough to be a championship-caliber player. 

The fact that Acuna hasn’t played all year doesn’t matter when he’s hit 19 HR with a .571 SLG and a .918 OPS while playing CF for 2 months plus (good enough for 2.8 WAR in those 69 games). If he maintains anything close to that pace Anderson has no shot at ROY. Qualifying only counts for batting average leaders so it’s pretty misleading for them to say he’s got the best stats. The sad thing is he’s been basically our only bright spot (other than JT) and he’s nowhere near good enough to be a championship-caliber player. 

He doesn’t have a chance regardless because he plays on the Marlins.  The only way he’d have a chance is if there was no other candidate, and with all the hype over the other two, he has no chance regardless of stats.

Care to elaborate?  “Championship-caliber “ player sounds like something you’d say about a high school football recruit 

Sure. Bill James, when talking about HOF candidates, asked a bunch of questions. One of those questions was, “If this player was the best player on his team, would this team be capable of winning the World Series?” If the answer is no, then that player shouldn’t be in the HOF. 

If Brian Anderson is the best player on your team, is your team a playoff-caliber team? Well, he’s the second-best player on a team about to lose over 90 games, so that’s a no at this point. Is there room for Anderson to grow? He’s already 25, so there’s some room for growth but not as much as you think. Look at the Red Sox - Bogaerts, Benintendi and Betts are all 24-25, and I don’t think they’d trade any of them for Anderson. Look at the other teams at the top this year - is there a place in the lineup for Anderson when everyone’s healthy?

Maybe Anderson might become a nice 6-hitter a championship team. But then you’d need to find the guys in the middle of the order, the real hitters, to get you there. Right now the Marlins have exactly one guy who fits the profile of a championship player, and that’s JT. That’s what I mean. 

Bill James, when talking about HOF candidates, asked a bunch of questions. One of those questions was, “If this player was the best player on his team, would this team be capable of winning the World Series?” If the answer is no, then that player shouldn’t be in the HOF. 

Doesn't this question have way too many variables?

Perfect example is Mike Trout... a HOF caliber player who has never been on a team capable of winning the World Series. On the other end you have Jeter himself who was a HOF caliber player but I can't think of a single Yankees championship team that would have won the world series without the contributions of Jeter's teammates as well.

Baseball is such a team sport, this isn't the NBA where one great player can lead a team of relatively average guys to a championship.

If I'm interpreting the question wrong feel free to correct me. 

Sure. Bill James, when talking about HOF candidates, asked a bunch of questions. One of those questions was, “If this player was the best player on his team, would this team be capable of winning the World Series?” If the answer is no, then that player shouldn’t be in the HOF. 

If Brian Anderson is the best player on your team, is your team a playoff-caliber team? Well, he’s the second-best player on a team about to lose over 90 games, so that’s a no at this point. Is there room for Anderson to grow? He’s already 25, so there’s some room for growth but not as much as you think. Look at the Red Sox - Bogaerts, Benintendi and Betts are all 24-25, and I don’t think they’d trade any of them for Anderson. Look at the other teams at the top this year - is there a place in the lineup for Anderson when everyone’s healthy?

Maybe Anderson might become a nice 6-hitter a championship team. But then you’d need to find the guys in the middle of the order, the real hitters, to get you there. Right now the Marlins have exactly one guy who fits the profile of a championship player, and that’s JT. That’s what I mean. 

Ok. Now I follow.  I have heard that James theory before.  Your original comment made it sound like you thought Anderson wasn’t a player you would see playing everyday for a playoff team.  I agree though. You don’t want that guy being your best player.  But I like him and I think he’s someone worth keeping around provided he’s not a centerpiece. That’s not taking away from him at all.  He’s solid. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.