Hot Take: Alex Rodriguez should be the next manager of the Miami Marlins

This would be fun. Imagine a Jeter and A-Rod reunion. A-Rod has a big local connection to Miami. He graduated from Christoper Columbus High School and signed a letter of intent to play baseball at the University before being selected in the first round of the 1993 MLB Draft by Seattle. Rodriguez is pretty young, 43 years old. He is Latino, so connecting with the spanish players and fans would not be an issue. Imo, Rodriguez seems like a player’s coach, something I think the Marlins need. Also, A-Rod as Marlins manager under CEO Derek Jeter? Imagine the headlines in the NY Tabloids ?

I am guessing most of you are going to disagree with me. That’s ok. But here is a question I want you all to answer. When Don Mattingly’s contract is up after the 2019 MLB season, should we hire another manager. If so, who? I personally think Mattingly is a nice guy, but can’t manage. He is more a bench coach guy. Speaking of bench coach, I think Fredi Gonzalez would be a good bench coach. I wouldn’t even be opposed to having Fredi as the next manager. 

I'm generally sick of the latest trend of hiring a young people person with no experience just because they embrace analytics. Give me an old school manager. Theres no guarantee Alex would even be a good manager. 

With all due respect, I absolutely do not want an old school manager. The game is changing. We need a young manager to be able to relate to all our young players. I feel like players just tune out old school managers after a while. I really don’t want some 60 or 70 year old something stuck in his ways, and unable to adapt to changes in the game of baseball. We need someone young and open-minded, not old and stubborn. 

I will say this, though, to clarify. Just because a manager is old doesn’t mean he is old schooled. Perfect example: Joe Madden. Joe Madden is old, but is a great new school manager. Listens to analytics, adapts to changes in the game, he’s a player’s coach, and knows how to get the best out of his team. 

This is actually more of what I meant. Something of a middle ground. Joe Maddon and Joe Girardi are the type I had in mind. Even Mattingly still fits closer to what I had in mind.

When I meant old school I didn't mean Jack McKeon Dusty Baker or Lou Pinella. Or, more specifically, what I don't want is the Gabe Kapler, Scott Servais, Aaron Boone type of guys. 

This is actually more of what I meant. Something of a middle ground. Joe Maddon and Joe Girardi are the type I had in mind. Even Mattingly still fits closer to what I had in mind.

When I meant old school I didn't mean Jack McKeon Dusty Baker or Lou Pinella. Or, more specifically, what I don't want is the Gabe Kapler, Scott Servais, Aaron Boone type of guys. 

Great.  Then it’s settled.  Get Joe Girardi on the line 

I'd love to have Joe Girardi back down here.  It sucks the way he was thrown out by Loria.

I can't really comment about A-Rod, but I'd like to see someone else besides Mattingly, and I don't think he'll be back after his contract runs out.  Some of the moves he makes are just baffling.

With all due respect, I absolutely do not want an old school manager. The game is changing. We need a young manager to be able to relate to all our young players. I feel like players just tune out old school managers after a while. I really don’t want some 60 or 70 year old something stuck in his ways, and unable to adapt to changes in the game of baseball. We need someone young and open-minded, not old and stubborn. 

This is how you end up with Aaron Boone.

There needs to be a happy medium.