Realmuto traded to Phillies

Erick

At this pace if he stays healthy, he could come close to putting up a 7 WAR season.

When Buster Posey put up a 7.3 WAR season in 2012 he won the NL MVP.

Realmuto currently has a 3.5 WAR, a full win above the next guy at 2.5. And you guessed it, it's Buster Posey. JT is very valuable and still at his prime. You don't trade that guy unless you get a serious haul.

The possibility remains the Marlins will elect to offer Realmuto, who would not be a free agent until after the 2020 season, a long-term contract to become a centerpiece in their plans for the future.

“If they approached me, I wouldn’t be opposed to having the conversation, but right now my focus is on the season and the rest of the year and the second half and we’ll discuss that stuff when it comes,” Realmuto said. “The fact that they would think of me that way, to build around me, is an honor.”

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article214917025.html?__twitter_impression=true

Realmuto said. “The fact that they would think of me that way, to build around me, is an honor.”

Sure doesn't sound like a guy that wants out.

In before "He is just being politically correct, why would anyone want to stay in miami?"

JT is the best catcher in the league as of right now.  He holds this franchise hostage until he decides one way or another to re-sign or not.  And im cool with the marlins waiting until next spring to find out if he will because if he does decide to re-sign, that is a legit superstar talent at a premium position that decides to be one of the building blocks long term.

• 2 weeks later...