9/20: Nationals at Marlins, Game 1

Injury updates
• Infielder Jon Berti (lacerated right index finger) and outfielder Magneuris Sierra (right hamstring strain) each played in a simulated game on Thursday at the alternate training site in Jupiter, Fla. The earliest Berti can be reinstated is Sunday. Sierra, like Berti, experienced no issues in the simulated game, nor in workouts Friday.

• Left-hander Stephen Tarpley (right oblique strain) threw an inning on Thursday and is scheduled to throw again Sunday in a simulated game.

7 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Injury updates
• Infielder Jon Berti (lacerated right index finger) and outfielder Magneuris Sierra (right hamstring strain) each played in a simulated game on Thursday at the alternate training site in Jupiter, Fla. The earliest Berti can be reinstated is Sunday. Sierra, like Berti, experienced no issues in the simulated game, nor in workouts Friday.

• Left-hander Stephen Tarpley (right oblique strain) threw an inning on Thursday and is scheduled to throw again Sunday in a simulated game.

Berti would come in handy for a playoff run. Or for just any regular game as well.

Aguilar needs a day off.  Doubleheader makes it a bit hard but soon after, he really needs a day off. 

And it better be Braxton over Dugger for game 2.  Using Dugger in any other role other than garbage innings if we're losing by 6+ runs is pointless.  Not that any of us will be able to do anything about if he does go with Dugger, aside from whining about it on here.

Hopefully Berti's pitch recognition is on point like it was when he went out, or close to it anyway. 

Stoked about Sierra returning too - never thought i'd ever say that. 

• Like 1

So Berti will end up replacing Sean (giant upgrade).  Will Monte be sent down for Sierra then? 

Monte still looks AWFUL when he actually has to swing the bat.

Never thought I'd say this but I'm also in favor of putting Brinson in there over Joyce regardless of who is starting.  Joyce is pretty much a weak contact, singles hitter at this point.

Also maybe i'm crazy but I see  Marte and Brinson as almost having the same game/skill set and feel like Marte coming over has helped elevate Lew's game through continued learning and just general bustin' his ass. Dunno, but it sure 'feels' like that's around the time it started to come together for Lew.

Joyce should be the spot starter and lefty pinch hit option that he was signed to be. I can't believe he is starting as much as he has especially with Brinson now hitting so well. Seems like Brinson is the spot starter and pinch hitter now, which is ridiculous. 

25 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Joyce should be the spot starter and lefty pinch hit option that he was signed to be. I can't believe he is starting as much as he has especially with Brinson now hitting so well. Seems like Brinson is the spot starter and pinch hitter now, which is ridiculous. 

Again, I ain't anti-Brinson (I too want him seeing more playing time), but Joyce has a higher xwOBA than Brinson, and Brinson has been mostly protected against good RHP. That's the kind of data FOs look at.

So until Joyce stops using his good eye to take walks and put balls in play, he's still a better bet than Brinson to help score some runs, even though Brinson's really come into his own vs LHP this year.

20 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Again, I ain't anti-Brinson (I too want him seeing more playing time), but Joyce has a higher xwOBA than Brinson, and Brinson has been mostly protected against good RHP. That's the kind of data FOs look at.

The xwOBA isn't much of a difference between them and Brinson, as I mentioned last night, has much higher xBA, xSLG, actual wOBA, and xwOBAcon.

Joyce is not swinging a good bat against anyone right now. We've got them both in the lineup today so I hope we're both wrong (me being wrong that Joyce should just be sitting and you being wrong that Brinson shouldn't face righties). ❤️ 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Didn't Joe West just call a game like 2 nights ago?

That's what I was saying earlier in here, he has been behind home plate at least four times in the past week in our games.

10 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I feel like Joe West is behind homeplate more often a typical umpire is. Where's the rotation?

I didn't see this post before I made mine - yeah, I could've sworn he was the home plate guy for the 1st game of the doubleheader Friday, at least I remember DVH on the radio talking about it.