Top Spring Training Battles

FishFan95

Here are the top Spring Training competitions for the Marlins:

Starting 2B: Isan Díaz vs Jazz Chisholm

5th SP: Trevor Rogers vs Nick Neidert vs Daniel Castano

4th OF spot (Coop and Berti are considered IF): Magneuris Sierra vs Lewis Brinson

I will update the thread after every game with the stats of each player as well as if any other competitions start or if any wild cards emerge.

• Like 8

I'm pretty certain they'll roll with BOTH Mags and Brinson, like last year, especially if they'll want a platoon partner for Dickerson and a reserve CF to give Marte a day off from time to time.

Folks keep projecting they'll carry 14 pitchers... But you can't. The limit is 13 pitchers. Maybe cause of the two Rule 5 picks folks are getting messed up?

Edited by Photo-Realistic Billy
  • Like 2

I think Jazz will win the 2B job, but I feel like Berti is part of that competition as well. Berti is obviously "making" the team as a super utility Ben Zobrist-lite, but if Isan and Jazz both shit the bed this spring, I could see Berti opening things up as the starter at 2B.

Also, I don't understand how there's a battle for the 5th spot in the rotation? I assumed that would go to Elieser:

Game 2: Sandy Alcantara

Game 3: Sixto Sanchez

Game 4: Pablo Lopez

Game 5: Elieser Hernandez

Game 1, of course, will be all-time Marlins ace Jose Urena, after we trade Brian Anderson, JJ Bleday, Starling Marte, and Garrett Cooper to the Tigers the day before Opening Day. 

2 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I'm pretty certain they'll roll with BOTH Mags and Brinson, like last year, especially if they'll want a platoon partner for Dickerson and a reserve CF to give Marte a day off from time to time.

Folks keep projecting they'll carry 14 pitchers... But you can't. The limit is 13 pitchers. Maybe cause of the two Rule 5 picks folks are getting messed up?

Good point.

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

I think Jazz will win the 2B job, but I feel like Berti is part of that competition as well. Berti is obviously "making" the team as a super utility Ben Zobrist-lite, but if Isan and Jazz both shit the bed this spring, I could see Berti opening things up as the starter at 2B.

Also, I don't understand how there's a battle for the 5th spot in the rotation? I assumed that would go to Elieser:

Game 2: Sandy Alcantara

Game 3: Sixto Sanchez

Game 4: Pablo Lopez

Game 5: Elieser Hernandez

Game 1, of course, will be all-time Marlins ace Jose Urena, after we trade Brian Anderson, JJ Bleday, Starling Marte, and Garrett Cooper to the Tigers the day before Opening Day. 

Berti would be an ideal leadoff hitter as well.  We really need a table setter. That COULD play a factor on who starts.  Even though it’s early, the lineup feels like it’s in limbo from top to bottom although I think we have a the right pieces.  Just need to set them in place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Berti would be an ideal leadoff hitter as well.  We really need a table setter. That COULD play a factor on who starts.  Even though it’s early, the lineup feels like it’s in limbo from top to bottom although I think we have a the right pieces.  Just need to set them in place.

Marte SHOULD be that table setter, but they seem dead set on him hitting 2 for some reason 

1 minute ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Honest question: Who do you like on the team? I'm very curious.

I like Sixto. I think Jazz can be really special.  I think Bleday can be really special.

I dont hate Anderson, but dont see any reason to make a long term commitment at this point.

Really the only guy I hate is Isan cause he is not good at baseball.

Brinson isnt that much ahead and neither is Alfaro though. Never been high on Alfaro, said as much when Marlins acquired and I'm kinda been proven right.  Said its curious Brinson has been traded so many times now and is 'old' for a top prospect.  Was concerned about him and we see why.

Still think Harrison can be a quality player, 4th OF at worse.  This is a very important year for him.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

I like Sixto. I think Jazz can be really special.  I think Bleday can be really special.

I dont hate Anderson, but dont see any reason to make a long term commitment at this point.

Really the only guy I hate is Isan cause he is not good at baseball.

Brinson isnt that much ahead and neither is Alfaro though. Never been high on Alfaro, said as much when Marlins acquired and I'm kinda been proven right.  Said its curious Brinson has been traded so many times now and is 'old' for a top prospect.  Was concerned about him and we see why.

Still think Harrison can be a quality player, 4th OF at worse.  This is a very important year for him.  

I’m not giving up on Isan. My comps for him since day 1 were somewhere between Kolten Wong/Rougned Odor.

I understand his small sample size in the show has been underwhelming, but I don’t see how those profiles are out of the realm of possibility 

Edited by marlins_09

3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Same.  I like BA but I always feel like we could upgrade somehow (or one of our many young SS prospects like Salas or Cappe would convert to 3B eventually and push BA out in a few years)  Can't really explain it more than that.  

Edited by CyggyMarlin

On 2/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

The pitcher limit is gone this year.

I actually think Sierra is almost a lock for the 4th OF spot. Brinson is competing with a few others but I think Sierra's spot isn't actually at risk.

And Paul Campbell is in the mix for the 5th rotation spot just because he's a rule 5 pick.

In most of the competitions I think the team has made it clear who is the front runner and it's that person's spot to lose. I think Isan is the 2nd baseman and Jazz is just getting a shot to take it from him. Sierra is the 4th outfielder. Rogers is the 5th starter because he's the only lefty and so Castano is the one who has the best chance at taking it from him. Brinson has the last bench spot. There is competition and many things can change but I don't think they're as open as we think. If all stays the same and nobody runs away with anything, the team is already set. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:56 PM, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

@SilverBullet is right. The limit was waived.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-players-association-deal-health-024348820.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I actually think Sierra is almost a lock for the 4th OF spot. Brinson is competing with a few others but I think Sierra's spot isn't actually at risk.

And Paul Campbell is in the mix for the 5th rotation spot just because he's a rule 5 pick.

In most of the competitions I think the team has made it clear who is the front runner and it's that person's spot to lose. I think Isan is the 2nd baseman and Jazz is just getting a shot to take it from him. Sierra is the 4th outfielder. Rogers is the 5th starter because he's the only lefty and so Castano is the one who has the best chance at taking it from him. Brinson has the last bench spot. There is competition and many things can change but I don't think they're as open as we think. If all stays the same and nobody runs away with anything, the team is already set. 

I think I am going to add 2 more battles to the watch list. Final reliever and 26th roster spot. Certain guys will be fighting for multiple of those spots, but I will just add their names under a single battle.

As for Campbell, he has 33 starts and 16 relief appearances in the minors so I would assume that if he does make the club, then he would be a reliever as like the long man role.

With the 5th starter, I agree that Rogers and Castano have the inside edge, but my impression would be that they would go with the best man available even if that means we have 5 righties.

• Like 1

After game 2 (Spring totals):

2B battle:

Isan Díaz: 0-1 (0-3, K)
Jazz Chisholm: DNP (1-2, HR, 1 RBI)

5th SP:

Trevor Rogers: DNP
Nick Neidert: DNP (2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 K, 0 BB, 0 ER)
Daniel Castano: DNP (2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 K, 1 BB, 1 ER)

4th OF Spot:

Magneuris Sierra: DNP (0-2)
Lewis Brinson: 0-1 (1-3, HR 2 RBI)

*7th and 8th RP:

Adam Cimber: DNP
James Hoyt: DNP
Zach Pop: DNP
Paul Campbell: DNP

26th Roster Spot

Eddy Alvarez: DNP
Tommy Eveld DNP (1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 K, 0 BB, 0 ER)

*I would say that Anthony Bass, Yimi García, Dylan Floro, Richard Bleier, John Curtiss, and Ross Detwiler are givens in the pen.

If there are any other players that you think I missed, just shoot me some names. I don't think that any of our top 30 prospects not listed have a shot unless there is an injury.

• Like 4