Top Spring Training Battles

FishFan95

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Either way is good with me.

SITA just very much dislikes Donnie's managing. 😞

Only in game. I think he's an excellent manager in between games and wish the Marlins would create a new position where Mattingly could still be the leader but someone else makes the in game decisions. 

15 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Only in game. I think he's an excellent manager in between games and wish the Marlins would create a new position where Mattingly could still be the leader but someone else makes the in game decisions. 

I say this as your friend -- not trying to attack you or anything. But there are times you complain about Donnie's decisions that are just knee jerk reactions, such as complaining about not bringing in (let's say) Yimi in a clutch spot when he's already pitched 2 days in a row. I only bring this up because I got family that roots for a variety of teams, including some with Manager of the Year credentials, and all they do is complain about their managers.

So either all the great managers out there are actually very obviously terrible, OR we're a bunch of folks sitting in the distance, criticizing managers with only a shred of the information and experience those managers have.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

While I tend to agree with you about Mattinglys in-game stuff, allow me to play devils advocate for a second.

We’ve seen that this regime takes a collective  approach to just about everything, including personnel decisions in the front office. 

What if some of the bullpen/lineup decisions are being made primarily by the staff/FO as a group? Being discussed beforehand, where Donny is simply the guy on the field. 

Obviously Mattingly would have a say in this, but I don’t get the feeling that every on-field move is made exclusively by Donnie. 

Addendum: I bring this up as I’ve seen a lot of analytic driven decisions being made over the last year or so. You have even heard them mentioned in some post-game pressers. 

This isn’t to deflect criticism from Don, but it’s potentially a Marlins thing rather than specifically Mattingly. If so, moving Donnie into another role likely wouldn’t change what we see in game

Edited by marlins_09
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I say this as your friend -- not trying to attack you or anything. But there are times you complain about Donnie's decisions that are just knee jerk reactions, such as complaining about not bringing in (let's say) Yimi in a clutch spot when he's already pitched 2 days in a row. I only bring this up because I got family that roots for a variety of teams, including some with Manager of the Year credentials, and all they do is complain about their managers.

So either all the great managers out there are actually very obviously terrible, OR we're a bunch of folks sitting in the distance, criticizing managers with only a shred of the information and experience those managers have.

3 hours ago, marlins_09 said:

While I tend to agree with you about Mattinglys in-game stuff, allow me to play devils advocate for a second.

We’ve seen that this regime takes a collective  approach to just about everything, including personnel decisions in the front office. 

What if some of the bullpen/lineup decisions are being made primarily by the staff/FO as a group? Being discussed beforehand, where Donny is simply the guy on the field. 

Obviously Mattingly would have a say in this, but I don’t get the feeling that every on-field move is made exclusively by Donnie. 

Addendum: I bring this up as I’ve seen a lot of analytic driven decisions being made over the last year or so. You have even heard them mentioned in some post-game pressers. 

This isn’t to deflect criticism from Don, but it’s potentially a Marlins thing rather than specifically Mattingly. If so, moving Donnie into another role likely wouldn’t change what we see in game

But...but my narrative 😞

comment GIF

• Haha 3

First 17 cuts of Marlins camp today, Edward Cabrera is the only one of the 40 man roster to be optioned down (to Triple A), the rest were non-roster invites who have been reassigned to minor league camp:

Prior to Wednesday’s spring training game, the club optioned right-hander Edward Cabrera to Triple-A. Also, the following (non-40-man roster) prospects have been reassigned: Cameron Barstad, Peyton Burdick, Santiago Chávez, Tommy Eveld, Jake Eder, Zach King, Dylan Lee, Zach McCambley, Víctor Víctor Mesa, Max Meyer, Brian Miller, Kameron Misner, Kyle Nicolas, Josh Roberson, Connor Scott and Will Stewart.

https://www.fishstripes.com/2021/3/10/22323625/mlb-roster-moves-spring-training-news-marlins-prospects

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

First 17 cuts of Marlins camp today, Edward Cabrera is the only one of the 40 man roster to be optioned down (to Triple A), the rest were non-roster invites who have been reassigned to minor league camp:

https://www.fishstripes.com/2021/3/10/22323625/mlb-roster-moves-spring-training-news-marlins-prospects

Sooo VVM officially a bust yet? I feel bad for him.