Baseball Card Thread

I figured I'd start a thread for those of us who collect baseball cards. 

Pull an interesting card from a pack?  Can't identify a card that might be valuable?  Recently bought a sealed box and wanna share what you got in it? Feel free to post images or general card discussion posts...

I'll start off with a question: 

Has anyone ever had cards professionally graded?  If so, how did you go about it?  I moved  this image over from  the Miguel Cabrera thread, but at some point I'd like to get these Cabrera rookies graded from the 2000 Topps Update set..  They book for $120 before grading and I expect they'll go up a lot more when he makes the HOF.

cabscards.jpg

Edited by CyggyMarlin
  • Like 1

I have some graded cards, but they were purchased that way. My local card shop (Orlando) has grading services every couple of months along with authenticators, not sure where you're at but I would think most metropolitan areas would also have these services. I too saw those Miggy cards and thought I really need to get the ones he signed in the Minors graded and authenticated. 

• Like 1

My 2019 Bowman Chrome Wander Franco Rookie Card just went to $100.  Griffey Jr & Cal Ripken cards also going up... Jeter Draft Pick '93 Topps now at $40 each...

Tatis cards are also hot... I have a 2016 Bowman Tatis  International Ink card with the White Sox... It's a green parallel and serial numbered.... Goes for about $60

Edited by CyggyMarlin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GuitarPik said:

A company examines the card and gives it a number grade based on its condition, centering, etc. 

In addition, a high grade makes the card much more valuable than the pricing guide value... For example, a Trout rookie card from a Topps Update set books for around $2000.  At an auction recently, a high graded version of the same card went for around $3M

Edited by CyggyMarlin

I’m interested in buying a couple Jazz RC with high grades. Looking for some advice on what brand or kind of card that has the highest spiking potential based on other cards. 

I know it won’t be cheap but I don’t want to wait before his stock gets to high. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I’m interested in buying a couple Jazz RC with high grades. Looking for some advice on what brand or kind of card that has the highest spiking potential based on other cards. 

I know it won’t be cheap but I don’t want to wait before his stock gets to high. 

I checked around on Beckett.com... looks like 2017 Bowman Chrome or 2017 Topps Heritage Minors might have a Jazz RC... Donruss 2021 has a Jazz Rated Rookie card but it's not a true RC

18 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

I checked around on Beckett.com... looks like 2017 Bowman Chrome or 2017 Topps Heritage Minors might have a Jazz RC... Donruss 2021 has a Jazz Rated Rookie card but it's not a true RC

The Bowman Chrome Refractors might be a possibility because they have limited runs rather then a standard card.   

I imagine if Jazz has a breakout year the card would at least double if not more. 

I Appreciate the suggestions. 

45 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Topps is not a high end brand? Legitimately asking because I don't know but on name brand alone from my childhood I always thought Topps was a big deal. 

Topps has gotten a little better but I find they tend to be stingy with inserts and rare cards. I always enjoy pulling a relic, autograph, or serial numbered card from a pack.  One time I got a Paul Goldschmidt printing plate in a box of cards that was used to make the regular card (it's the only one in existence - I have no idea of its value)...  Usually I get Bowman or Donruss / Donruss Optic (the rookie cards usually have good value - my 2019 Wander Franco Bowman Chrome Rookie Card is already at $80 before grading)... 

Edited by CyggyMarlin

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Topps is not a high end brand? Legitimately asking because I don't know but on name brand alone from my childhood I always thought Topps was a big deal. 

Topps is still the most popular brand. Topps Opening Day is one of their cheaper sets, brands, varieties, whatever you want to call it.

2 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

what brand?  I have a bunch of Ohtani Donruss Red Refractor RCs but not graded

Honestly trying to get into it and not even sure if I bought a high end card. Figured it was worth it and maybe I can flip it one day, but if not I’m still cool with it.

It’s a Topps card. 2018 RC, Ohtani Pitching In Red card, PSA 10. Got it on eBay for $175.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erick said:

Honestly trying to get into it and not even sure if I bought a high end card. Figured it was worth it and maybe I can flip it one day, but if not I’m still cool with it.

It’s a Topps card. 2018 RC, Ohtani Pitching In Red card, PSA 10. Got it on eBay for $175.

I've got more cards in a box that I haven't organized yet, but some are these are RC refractors... should get these graded

OhtaniRCs1.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Erick said:

Damn that’s a good collection @CyggyMarlin. I read PSA was going to shut down for a few months due to the high demand.

I can wait.  Hard to get a vaccine around here and I am immuno-compromised so I won't be running out to get this done anytime soon.  I moved to a new town early in the pandemic and there is a sports card shop a few blocks over.  Hopefully they are open when it's safe to go out and see if they have any info on getting cards graded.  I've been a collector since '81 so I have a lot of stuff I wanna grade...

• Like 2