Marte extension?

• The title was changed to Marte extension?
15 minutes ago, Entendu said:

He's 32. I'd pass, because he's going to command 5+ years. Anything over 80M is too much. We'd likely get 3 more years of productivity.

This too, actually. I don’t think it’d be worth it if he’s asking for more than 3 years, which he probably would.

He's proven - I'm alright with a 5yr, knowing that yrs 4-5 are likely bench, trade, or release years.  As long as it's a reasonable 5yr deal - just don't be reckless.

He's valuable now as a player, but his mentality & character are valuable to our prospects over the next few years.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Iowa said:

How much did Marcel Ozuna get?

4/65 - he's a couple of years younger too.

I think the Braves got a good deal as well - probably because of uncertainty over the free agency market.

I think 5/75 is reasonable - do we think he's a $20M player for the next three years, then a $7.5M for the 4th & 5th?  I think so.

Obviously if you can get him for less, uou do it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I think the Braves got a good deal as well - probably because of uncertainty over the free agency market.

I think 5/75 is reasonable - do we think he's a $20M player for the next three years, then a $7.5M for the 4th & 5th?  I think so.

100% agree on frontloading the contract.  will make him WAAAAY easier to trade, or even keep for a 4th OF, if his production dips in years 4-5. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Maybe the best timing to extend him was the last off-season, but maybe just like the case of BA, Ng just wants to see more in person to make the decision. 

He likely wants to test free agency and would have to be blown away to sign before seeing his market. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, Erick said:

This too, actually. I don’t think it’d be worth it if he’s asking for more than 3 years, which he probably would.

I’m sticking with this. Ask him how much he wants for the next 3 years and keep him.

Even though at the rate he’s playing this year, some team might pay him for 5. He’s been so good lol. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 3:19 PM, cyoung said:

IF we're still valuing WAR free agent value around 8 mil per?  At his best he's a 4 war player and though injuries are always a concern this isn't a Stanton body that you worry will break down every time he runs.  Dude is in freakish shape.  Even if it's a tick higher, say 4/75, I think you'd still get good value for the next 2-3 years.

• Like 3

I'd hate to be a Debbie downer here, but something doesn't add up.  

Marte's career OPS is .798 and his career slugging is .454.  His best year was in 2019 when he had a .845 OPS and a .503 slugging.  Those aren't numbers for the kind of money that everyone is throwing  around on here.  

Also, this year MLB messed with the baseball and hitting is down everywhere.  From HR to Batting Averages , and everything in between. So, at 32 with many others struggling, Marte is going to have a career year with 1.010 OPS and a .568 slugging?  And, in a pitchers park to boot?

Either he's going to regress from God status to a very good player again, which means he's not worth that contract, or worse.  I mean he was suspended in 2017 for steriods already.  Not saying that's the case, but as much as I like Marte, my spider senses are telling me to sell to the highest bidder.  It's actually the smart play anyway considering his age. 

Hopefully I'm wrong, and we extend him, and he ages like a fine wine, and he leads us to a World Series.  Thing is, I stopped believing in fairy tales a long time ago.  

• Like 3