2021 Trade Deadline Thread

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Alcantara or Leon? 

Well they want a new catcher to replace Alfaro. If that falls through, I am sure they will give Leon a lifetime contract. They might also try to lock up the other Sandy... But that's neither here nor there. Preferably the team would like to acquire another Sandy. Just like they are doing with Jesus. Always looking for a 3rd to complete the set.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

The primary focus is catcher and CF but nobody has mentioned that they'll once again have to rebuild the bullpen for 2022 as well. 

Mish basically said that half of all teams have to rebuild their pen in one way or another every single year. Marlins will be no different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Well they want a new catcher to replace Alfaro. If that falls through, I am sure they will give Leon a lifetime contract. They might also try to lock up the other Sandy... But that's neither here nor there. Preferably the team would like to acquire another Sandy. Just like they are doing with Jesus. Always looking for a 3rd to complete the set.

The Office Jim GIF

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Any more detail on why they're not in a rush to dump Duvall? He seems like the type of player who is perfect to jettison at the deadline and I don't see an urgency in keeping him. 

He said that probably half the FO wants to keep him and half want to move on. Mish's gut was that he will stay after renegotiating the mutual option before the end of the season.

12 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Mish really gave the impression that major pieces in the big leagues (except bullpen) are unlikely to go at the deadline unless the other team wows them.

Kinda nice that being sellers doesn't mean "everything must go" like it used to for the Marlins. 

I'm loving this "sell while buying for the future" deadline approach that this FO has done a couple times now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The primary focus is catcher and CF but nobody has mentioned that they'll once again have to rebuild the bullpen for 2022 as well. 

Jeter should sign a good construction company sponsor with all the rebuilding they're always doing...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

In fact I'm not against starting him, great defense and hitting for power except the low batting average. 

Wouldn’t say great D, good maybe. Power comes in spurts and the low batting average is absolutely terrible.. again decent 4th OF for a contender but other then that he should not be starting other then a start here and there to relive the actually starting OFers

On 7/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, SonOfJack said:

None- back then they didn't produce them at the stadium and there was no MLB fan shop. All (including mine) have been made after the trade. I ended up shipping a blank to Chicago and having EPS customize mine according to team specs.

Also.... Piazza needs to coach for the Marlins. I need to update my jersey. LOL

On 7/16/2021 at 3:50 PM, Das Texan said:

You NEVER buy a home when you are a member of the Marlins organization tbh.  

I started to do it w Stanton... now I have these jerseys just sitting around. I'm not buying another jersey unless its PIAZZA or Fernandez 34

Home
Road
Orange Alt
Black Alt
MIAMI 1957 Sun Sox
2012 ASG
2014 ASG
2015 ASG
2017 ASG
Team USA

7 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Any more detail on why they're not in a rush to dump Duvall? He seems like the type of player who is perfect to jettison at the deadline and I don't see an urgency in keeping him. 

I didn't understand why they want to keep him either. Makes zero sense to me. Dude can't get on base nearly enough for my liking and he's not gonna wanna get paid like a 4th OF on a thrifty team so what's the point

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Jeter should sign a good construction company sponsor with all the rebuilding they're always doing...

6 hours ago, mk613 said:

I’d trade Duvall to be honest, he’d make a good 4th OF but should not be a full time starter.

On this team, he's the STAR-durrrrr

1 minute ago, hovertical said:

I didn't understand why they want to keep him either. Makes zero sense to me. Dude can't get on base nearly enough for my liking and he's not gonna wanna get paid like a 4th OF on a thrifty team so what's the point

Probably clubhouse presence or some other intangible bullshit they attach to white guys.
"He's a gamer, who comes to the ballpark every day ready to play the game and he shows the young guys what its like to be ready for the game"- Don Mattingly sometime in the past or near future.

• Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

Probably clubhouse presence or some other intangible bullshit they attach to white guys.
"He's a gamer, who comes to the ballpark every day ready to play the game and he shows the young guys what its like to be ready for the game"- Don Mattingly sometime in the past or near future.

I don't get the dig at white guys here - in particular since that seems to be a large part of why Aguilar is so beloved. I think it's moreso he plays a better than expected defense and is their only legit big power guy so despite obp being something like .270 he sticks around.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

When asked about Reynolds, he says very unlikely. Suggests that Marlins could target a post hype top prospect that has seen their value dip recently, similar to Luzardo.

CF on Fangraphs Top 100 Prospects 2018:

2. Acuna
4. Victor Robles
13. Brinson
21. Luis Robert
36. Anthony Alford
37. Cristian Pache
38. Royce Lewis (had been experimenting in CF before tearing ACL)
52. Monte
57. Taylor Trammell
58. Jorge Mateo
63. Dustin Fowler
66. Jo Adell
69. Jahmai Jones
79. Estevan Florial
86. Leody Taveras
93. Jose Siri
97. Brandon Marsh

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

I can only guess that since he's already signed for next season at an affordable price it's like they know they have one starting outfield spot covered so he stays unless a for sure replacement is found. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I can only guess that since he's already signed for next season at an affordable price it's like they know they have one starting outfield spot covered so he stays unless a for sure replacement is found. 

his shortcomings at the plate would also not be as noticeable if the lineup around him could get on at a better clip. the problem is half the lineup is like a black hole of offense.  I would still hope they're not too attached to him to the point it would take some huge overpay to acquire him like they're stating with Miggy, etc.

8 hours ago, mk613 said:

Wouldn’t say great D, good maybe. Power comes in spurts and the low batting average is absolutely terrible.. again decent 4th OF for a contender but other then that he should not be starting other then a start here and there to relive the actually starting OFers

You can put up with a terrible batting average if the guy is at least walking to get on base. Since Duvall is doing neither, he is not worth as much as the metrics say he is. I say move him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

You can put up with a terrible batting average if the guy is at least walking to get on base. Since Duvall is doing neither, he is not worth as much as the metrics say he is. I say move him.

I do appreciate they are basically ignoring Atlanta's request to get him back though.  That's worth more than whatever it is they were offering.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1