Marte to Mets... 4 years $78 Million

SongInTheAir

In all honesty... the Marlins should be absolutely embarrassed over this one.

They had Marte and knew what it would take to keep him and had him in their control and he openly expressed his desire to stay here. Marte basically gave them the power to keep him and they let it get away when they had every capability of keeping him longterm. I always caution that free agency is a gamble because of the other teams involved but the Marlins had their chance to avoid all of that and keep Marte in Miami. Heck they could have done the Luzardo trade and still signed him too because they knew what he wanted. 

This front office has done a lot of good, I don't want to exaggerate and say they've been complete shit just because I'm unhappy about this one situation but this one situation was handled horribly at a time when this organization is in dire need of things being done better. 

Right now I consider this at the very top of the list of fuck ups for this front office because this one directly ties into the on-field team success as opposed to other gaffes that were ultimately meaningless... this one stings and I hope they know it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

In all honesty... the Marlins should be absolutely embarrassed over this one.

They had Marte and knew what it would take to keep him and had him in their control and he openly expressed his desire to stay here. Marte basically gave them the power to keep him and they let it get away when they had every capability of keeping him longterm. I always caution that free agency is a gamble because of the other teams involved but the Marlins had their chance to avoid all of that and keep Marte in Miami. Heck they could have done the Luzardo trade and still signed him too because they knew what he wanted. 

This front office has done a lot of good, I don't want to exaggerate and say they've been complete shit just because I'm unhappy about this one situation but this one situation was handled horribly at a time when this organization is in dire need of things being done better. 

Right now I consider this at the very top of the list of fuck ups for this front office because this one directly ties into the on-field team success as opposed to other gaffes that were ultimately meaningless... this one stings and I hope they know it. 

Ng was quoted as saying "we're not sure why he didn't take our 3 year 30 M offer."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Offseason isn't over yet but it's starting to slowly look like a repeat of last offseason where we had our hopes up that they were going to add reinforcements and/or improve the team. Then, little by little great FAs (heck, even just the good ones) and trade candidates were getting picked off by other teams while they refused to do anything of substance. If this FO has any shred of intelligence they won't repeat that. Big bummer to see Marte land with a divisional rival.

• Like 3

Would be great if this flurry of moves by the Mets - three players in the span of 24 hours, all of whom were discussed as potential fits for the Marlins by various reporters - spurs the Fish to do something, anything, this weekend. I’m getting blue balls over here during this “MOST IMPORTANT OFFSEASON YET,” and I’m tired of seeing other teams make the smart moves that add up to postseason berths. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, QbanCastillo said:

Offseason isn't over yet but it's starting to slowly look like a repeat of last offseason where we had our hopes up that they were going to add reinforcements and/or improve the team. Then, little by little great FAs (heck, even just the good ones) and trade candidates were getting picked off by other teams while they refused to do anything of substance. If this FO has any shred of intelligence they won't repeat that. Big bummer to see Marte land with a divisional rival.

Going this offseason the story felt like Ng and the front office learned that last year's plan didn't work and that the next logical step was to do things differently now but yep so far it feels like the same half ass approach from last year. 

The lack of urgency from this group is the worst. I brought it up during the season but had my fingers crossed that it was about playing out the season to set up an aggressive offseason and yet hey here we are with the continued lack of urgency.

When do the Marlins press on the damn pedal? 

• Like 2