What happened to Skip

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what's with the decision making in the 2nd half and why it's like the polar opposite of the 1st half.

Did the FO put more/total input?

I'm keep saying it but the deadline felt more like a push for next year than this and now coupled with his managing makes it seem more and more like they gave up and are forcing some decisions to better their pick status next season instead.

I dunno. I'm not big on conspiracy stuff but since the deadline deals were done I felt that was the general direction 

12 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I'm keep saying it but the deadline felt more like a push for next year than this and now coupled with his managing makes it seem more and more like they gave up and are forcing some decisions to better their pick status next season instead.

I dunno. I'm not big on conspiracy stuff but since the deadline deals were done I felt that was the general direction 

I like that they acquired pieces for this and future seasons, but throwing in the towel this year doesn't make any sense just because it doesn't fit the timeline.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Skip's still a rookie manager. His decisions luckily worked more in the first half than in the second half. This isn't any change on him. This thread is a results based question. Say Hampson hits a game winning homer last night, then we don't question the decision and we think Skip is a genius.

The bigger issue is that Hampton, wendle, DLC and stallings/fortes are every day starters which is out of skips control 

Edited by pollythewog
  • Like 1

Just now, TaiwanMarlins said:

First half's easy schedule make Marlins and Skip looking good and second half's tough schedule make Marlins and Skip looking bad, winning and you think manager made all good decisions, losing and you think manager made all bad decisions. 

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Yes GIF by E!

12 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Speaking of easy first half schedule, remember when people were almost complaining that the Marlins were doing well during that run?

I don't think that's complaint, I don't think people would complaining the winning, I think people just said the truth that Marlins played good due to the easy schedule. 

12 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Speaking of easy first half schedule, remember when people were almost complaining that the Marlins were doing well during that run? That success should be applauded cuz it's the only reason we're still in the race in late August even with an awful second half.

The marlins are tied with the incredibly bad royals for 27th in runs scored this year. 3 of ours SPs have blown by their career innings. Joey wendle and stallings are starters. It’s baseball so who knows and I like the optimism but the odds are stacked against this team 😕

40 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

The marlins are tied with the incredibly bad royals for 27th in runs scored this year. 3 of ours SPs have blown by their career innings. Joey wendle and stallings are starters. It’s baseball so who knows and I like the optimism but the odds are stacked against this team 😕

Agreed but still close enough that a couple lucky breaks and a little momentum could make a huge difference.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Agreed but still close enough that a couple lucky breaks and a little momentum could make a huge difference.

you're totally that dude at a funeral who walks around saying "but they're in a better place now!" when everyone needs to work through their grief

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hovertical said:

you're totally that dude at a funeral who walks around saying "but they're in a better place now!" when everyone needs to work through their grief

It's the truth though.

3.5 games back of a WC spot in late August sounds pretty great to me as a Marlins fan.

If everyone here was asked before the season if they'd take being within 5 games of a playoff spot in the final week of August I don't know who wouldn't have wanted that especially when many said we wouldn't even be close to contending. 

• Like 1

Skip’s been absolutely awful as a manager in the 2nd half just like the team. 

Never understood taking Arraez out of the leadoff spot. 

Also, it’s been ridiculous the amount of times he’s gotten a reliever up only to not use him. Relievers hate that. There’s also no rhyme or reason to his moves. Like in LA, he wanted to use Robertson in the 8th because I’m guessing he preferred Scott facing their best hitters. Robertson blows it, yet he proceeds to give Robertson the next save opportunity against the opponents’ best hitters because…? I don’t know. 

He’s gone from an A in the 1st half (in part because he got lucky sometimes too) to an F in the 2nd half. It’s been bad.

• Like 2