2024 Spring Training Discussion Thread

29 minutes ago, hovertical said:

You responded to his post so clearly you do.

You think I haven't forgotten about the rule I gave you? 307th to last time until you're banned for not renaming to Daddy Dix. Slut.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Admin said:

It's ok, nobody does. I just write it to pad the original content numbers and improve SEO.

Hey don’t sell yourself short!

Last I checked your recap had 19 views!

*Upstairs @pollythewog hitting refresh on that page 15 times*

❤️

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Michael said:

You think I haven't forgotten about the rule I gave you? 307th to last time until you're banned for not renaming to Daddy Dix. Slut.

wait,

Daddy Dix

or

Daddy Dix Slut?

you're not making any sense now. Perhaps you should ban yourself to figure out your life?

• Haha 1

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/giants-to-sign-matt-chapman.html

The four-time Gold Glove winner has reportedly agreed to terms with the Giants on a three-year, $54MM guarantee. The Boras Corporation client can opt out after each of the next two seasons

Chapman will receive a $2MM signing bonus and a $16MM salary in 2024, plus a $2MM buyout on the $17MM player option for 2025.  If the third baseman remains in his contract through the 2025 season, he’ll have an $18MM player option for 2026 with a $3MM buyout attached.  Should he remain in his contract through those three seasons, Chapman and the Giants will share a $20MM mutual option for the 2027 season, with a $1MM buyout if either party declines their side of the option.

27 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/giants-to-sign-matt-chapman.html

The four-time Gold Glove winner has reportedly agreed to terms with the Giants on a three-year, $54MM guarantee. The Boras Corporation client can opt out after each of the next two seasons

Chapman will receive a $2MM signing bonus and a $16MM salary in 2024, plus a $2MM buyout on the $17MM player option for 2025.  If the third baseman remains in his contract through the 2025 season, he’ll have an $18MM player option for 2026 with a $3MM buyout attached.  Should he remain in his contract through those three seasons, Chapman and the Giants will share a $20MM mutual option for the 2027 season, with a $1MM buyout if either party declines their side of the option.

Wrong thread.

@hovertical is banned.

Man, DeNicola uses some of the silliest ideas for articles. She's got one up now saying how Troy Johnston uses escape rooms to prep for spring training. Yet nowhere in the article does it actually explain what this means. It's a random correlation. The guy probably said he visited an escape room once and she's here writing articles as if he's thinking about an escape room during practice drills. 

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Man, DeNicola uses some of the silliest ideas for articles. She's got one up now saying how Troy Johnston uses escape rooms to prep for spring training. Yet nowhere in the article does it actually explain what this means. It's a random correlation. The guy probably said he visited an escape room once and she's here writing articles as if he's thinking about an escape room during practice drills. 

I need to get creative like her

44 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

“In escape rooms, essentially, you're trying to figure out ways when things aren't going right,” said Johnston, who first tried one three years ago. “You are trying to figure out ways to be successful and get out of the room, do whatever it is. Same thing with baseball. You're in a slump, you've got to try to figure out, put the pieces together, create the puzzle, whatever it is. So you can succeed in baseball, life, whatever it is. It's a direct correlation in the sense that we're all working on things ourselves, and we're all going towards a common goal.”

11 minutes ago, hovertical said:

maybe someone would read your blogs then! 

❤️

I hope not. I like it when nobody reads them. I can get away with writing nonsense!

36 minutes ago, Admin said:

I hope not. I like it when nobody reads them. I can get away with writing nonsense!

Reminds me of this inspiration story I read once..

Paraphrasing here

A student asked his teacher what difference he hoped to make in world with his teaching and after a few moments thoughts the teacher said that he has no such hopes.

“Those who can truly hear what I have to say don’t really need me to say it; those who can’t hear could listen until I lost my voice without changing in the slightest.”

and the student was confused and asked

”then why teach at all?”

and the teacher said “why does a bird sing?”

The End.

Moral of the story: Admin is a bird

I think…

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WillyumKeef said:

“In escape rooms, essentially, you're trying to figure out ways when things aren't going right,” said Johnston, who first tried one three years ago. “You are trying to figure out ways to be successful and get out of the room, do whatever it is. Same thing with baseball. You're in a slump, you've got to try to figure out, put the pieces together, create the puzzle, whatever it is. So you can succeed in baseball, life, whatever it is. It's a direct correlation in the sense that we're all working on things ourselves, and we're all going towards a common goal.”

This reminds me of those yearbook quotes they made up that you never said....

you'd open the yearbook with a photo in the hallway, and it'd be like "I love math class, the challenge excites me!"   Meanwhile, I hate math and would never say that lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WillyumKeef said:

Yea and why this article? What prompted that quote? Is Troy Johnston visiting escape rooms often? Is he really using escape rooms to prepare for baseball or did he just make this one time comparison and she thought it was worth writing an article for?

It's like she's missing a paragraph explaining something like "Troy loves escape rooms and visits them in every city he visits, he's visited 200 rooms over the last few years and has completed almost all of them!" Etc etc, you know, some substance to your writing topic. 

She even says there's an escape room near ST in Jupiter but then she says he hasnt gone there... what?

It's an article about Troy at spring training with one random and isolated quote about an escape room yet the article title is about Troy using escape rooms to prepare for baseball.

It's just bad writing. 

3 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

“Those who can truly hear what I have to say don’t really need me to say it; those who can’t hear could listen until I lost my voice without changing in the slightest.”

Answering this honestly, as a teacher, I get what this is supposed to mean but it's very misleading. Those who are gonna hear it are gonna hear it, yes, but "don't really need me to say it" is an awful way to end that line. 

Those students are the reason why teachers actually must keep teaching even when all seems lost because they're absorbing the knowledge even if it doesn't seem like it... and then they surprise you passing a test or achieving some goal that seemed impossible. 

And for those who seem like they can't hear no matter what you say, I definitely have those students who will never get it but you still keep teaching to try and crack them and one day they surprise you and even if they only learn one thing they've now learned more than the day they met you. 

And I personally am a huge proponent of teaching my students kindness, respect, social skills, how to get along, how to resolve conflicts, how to greet each other, laughter, fun, etc... I'm big on teaching the things that aren't in the textbooks and on the tests. So for me, those moron student who will never get the academics, I always hope I'm at least teaching them how to be good human beings. 

So essentially that above quote is saying what the teacher does doesn't matter so might as well give it up and that's absolutely false and is quite a horrible way for a teacher to think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Answering this honestly, as a teacher, I get what this is supposed to mean but it's very misleading. Those who are gonna hear it are gonna hear it, yes, but "don't really need me to say it" is an awful way to end that line. 

Those students are the reason why teachers actually must keep teaching even when all seems lost because they're absorbing the knowledge even if it doesn't seem like it... and then they surprise you passing a test or achieving some goal that seemed impossible. 

And for those who seem like they can't hear no matter what you say, I definitely have those students who will never get it but you still keep teaching to try and crack them and one day they surprise you and even if they only learn one thing they've now learned more than the day they met you. 

And I personally am a huge proponent of teaching my students kindness, respect, social skills, how to get along, how to resolve conflicts, how to greet each other, laughter, fun, etc... I'm big on teaching the things that aren't in the textbooks and on the tests. So for me, those moron student who will never get the academics, I always hope I'm at least teaching them how to be good human beings. 

So essentially that above quote is saying what the teacher does doesn't matter so might as well give it up and that's absolutely false and is quite a horrible way for a teacher to think.

I get what you’re saying. I probably should provide more context. It was in a spiritual/personal development book I read that from.. so by teacher I believe in the story it was referring to a “spiritual/new age teacher” like a zen master or shaman or something. Not like a school teacher or professor. So the story makes more sense in that context if it’s a philosophical or spiritual teacher spewing his spiel about the universe and life philosophy, compared to a real school teacher teaching some algebra or laws of motion/inertia. Should have mentioned that ahead of time.

Sorry for the confusion. I was writing in a hurry and loosely paraphrasing the original source. 😂

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

I get what you’re saying. I probably should provide more context. It was in a spiritual/personal development book I read that from.. so by teacher I believe in the story it was referring to a “spiritual/new age teacher” like a zen master or shaman or something. Not like a school teacher or professor. So the story makes more sense in that context if it’s a philosophical or spiritual teacher spewing his spiel about the universe and life philosophy, compared to a real school teacher teaching some algebra or laws of motion/inertia. Should have mentioned that ahead of time.

Sorry for the confusion. I was writing in a hurry and loosely paraphrasing the original source. 😂

No biggie, wasn't mad at the quote just analyzing it from my perspective. 

At the end of the day I do get what the quote meant.