Jacobs vs. Delgado

Iowa

Jacobs: 278 AB, .288/.357/.522/.879, 13 HR, 50 RBI, 34 R, 26 2B (59 K/30 BB)

Delgado: 318 AB .252/.342/.506/.849, 22 HR, 57 RBI, 52 R, 15 2B (77 K/37 BB)

Jacobs

April: .192 BA, 3 HR, 13 RBI

May: .264, 3 HR, 16 RBI

June: .361, 4 HR, 13 RBI

July: .364, 3 HR, 8 RBI

Delgado:

April: .298, 9 HR, 20 RBI

May: .208, 6 HR, 14 RBI

June: .291, 7 HR, 21 RBI

July: .156, 0 HR, 2 RBI

Jacobs 2006 Salary: $327,000

Delgado 2006 Salary: $13,500,000

It unbelievable isn't it? And this with Jacobs being hobbled by what seems to be a chronically bad ankle. One starts to get the idea why so many pundits/media types in NYC thought Mike Jacobs would be their 2006 rookie of the year candidate.

What impresses me most is that a) Jacobs is a rookie still making rookie mistakes, b) he still can't handle lefties well and will certainly improve over the next couple of years, and c) all the upside is on his side while Delgado's career is at best at it's mid-point and perhaps entering its twilight stage. For all the crap the Marlins took for moving Carlos, this is starting to appear like a lop-sided trade in our favor. Who would of thought?

Yes, Carlos is banged up too and underperforming because of it but it certainly is an impressive presentation. And yes Delgado is still Delgado, one of the most feared hitters in the game, but I'm more than satisfied with what our rookie first baseman has accomplished this season, especially when you consider his abysmal start.

To add to my thought above, it becomes more and more obvious everyday that missing most from the Marlins lineup is someone who could actually provide Cabrera some protection.

As much as I'd like to go get "a" Chris Denorfia type to grow with rest of the rookies, it's been obvious (at least to me) that's what's needed most is someone who strikes fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers and whose bat is legendary enough to force teams to pitch to Miggy.

To add to my thought above, it becomes more and more obvious everyday that missing most from the Marlins lineup is someone who could actually provide Cabrera some protection.

As much as I'd like to go get "a" Chris Denorfia type to grow with rest of the rookies, it's been obvious (at least to me) that's what's needed most is someone who strikes fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers and whose bat is legendary enough to force teams to pitch to Miggy.

Well that just takes time. Eventually a Jacobs or Hermida could give that to him.

I was thinking the same thing this morning when I saw Jakey's .288 average. I just instinctively checked Delgado and saw .252. No one can knock Carlos, just an awesome threat, but you have to be impressed with Jacobs-especially with the slow start and the looping flaw in his swing. They caught it, he worked on it and just straightened it out-the results are tremendous. Girardi adds to the building of Jake's confidence by letting him play against lefties and not lifting him in key late game situations. Basically, he has been a real gem. And we have lost nothing defensively, hint of sarcasm, as both of them will not see gold. But again, Jake is young and can get better, Delgado is what he is out in the field.

I can't believe some of you call him "Jakey" just call him Jake. "Jakey" is so woossy sounding.

He has been outstanding and I bet he has a better second half then his first half.

Also our team does poorly against Leftys as a whole and I noticed ( I think) we have no Lefty BP pitchers. That seems strange to me you would think you would want to see some BP with a lefty out there just to get a feel. I bet if they got one we would do better against them.

my only gripe with jacobs is his defense , very limited range and doesnt have good hands , hopefully more work with hill will help some . either way more bang for the buck wih jacobs than delgado

Delgado was pretty horrible defensively. Jacobs hasn't been great but Delgado was as bad as I would ever want to get.

Call me crazy, but you undo the Delgado trade and stick him on this team, and, well, I think the Mets, Phillies, Marlins and Braves are all on an equal playing field.